Grumbling

scott

[the following post is a late-night grumble.]

So--we've had our layout together for what--less than a month? And already the equipment is in such a mess that it's getting to be frustrating to use. I was trying to figure out what I needed to deal with to get some trains going well. So I made this list of locomotive operating status:

Minitrix DB E10 - OK

Roco OBB 1044 - snowplow catches on rail joints and stops engine; missing one coupler spring; one pantograph has come apart

MicroAce Gakunan Ry. "Akagaeru" EMU: New, but starting to hesitate while running; sometimes needs a light tap to get started

Tomix JNR 115 EMU: runs very roughly; hesitates, jerks, stops, hard to start

Bachmann E60 #1: OK, if noisy and poor at low speed. Built from body of one and guts of another.  Original guts missing both couplers (popped out) and driveshaft needs to be put back in after falling out.

Bachmann E60 #2: OK, if noisy and poor at low speed. One pantograph sticks up too high and snags on things

Kato "Arbeitwagen": Often needs a tap to get started; hard to get to run smoothly

I never claimed to be a good mechanic, but that I got things this screwed up this quickly is truly amazing. I try to be reasonable and look for causes and problems to fix, but pretty soon I'm going to see an exorcist about this.  :-\

Bleah. I'm going to bed, and tomorrow I'm going for a long bike ride to clear my head. Assuming my bike will work.

alpineaustralia

Brother - we have all had (and continue to have) days like this. I presently have 4 trains pout of action. Mainly because of decoders that mysteriously cease working to some extent.

I also have a Tomix DR Yellow that refuses to work for any reason and then suddenly works at 100% power even when you turn down the power. I am expecting it to projectile vomit green pea soup any moment.

I generally feel what you are feeling about one in every 10 times that I operate my trains.

alpineaustralia

I never went DC and so I am not sure I understand the peculiarities of DC but DCC has one advantage in that polarity is far less of an issue. The point remains that we all have shared your pain at least once and more likely more.

I am expecting it to projectile vomit green pea soup any moment.

;D  That stuff will really clog up the gears, too.

How often do you guys clean your track?

So far, never.

(Of course, that's because it's all brand-new and has barely seen any use.....  :)  )

Martijn Meerts

Difficult to clean track when the top is covered by a piece of transparent plastic, and the bottom is covered by a piece of blue cardboard that says "Tomix" and "Fine Track" in orange letters on the top =)

Scott

ii have the solution to your rail cleaning woes (and Robyn will love this too but not for Anders), JRM's official dring, the Tomix Rail Cleaner! guaranteed to clean your rails, throat, system, etc. Matthew, Ken and Phil concocted it when they were cleaning out matthew's liquor cabinet just before they went to japan for 2 years. i think bombay sapphire gin and a few other things, then something to make a white layer and then a cherry. was to be the jrm logo in a drink! of course stick in your piece of rail to clean as your swizzle stick and stir. voila track is clean and your drink is ready to clean you!

matthew is just about home so ill get the recipe up on the jrm site for you all to try! a few of these while cleaning your tracks and you wont care if the tracks are clean or not.

btw when ever the track cleaning comes up on the n scale lists theres always some one that lists red wine as the best cleaning agent. open a bottle, pour a glass, start the track cleaner to running around the layout and let it run till you finish the glass of wine...

cheers

jeff

I have only one train out of service, but man, I know the pain though. I have a nightmare keeping the track clean between the dust and Capone (Godzilla like cat. Variety, domesticated ring tailed Son of a b!)

SubwayHypes

I totally feel the pain.

Right now the right track on my double track is being totally frustrating.  I have cleaned and cleaned the track but it still seems so snag and slow down my trains.  I am not having derailments but the power loss issues are so frustrating.

Also, at least 3 of my motor cars are acting funny on the track, only about half my fleet runs smoothly right now.

I wish they made the unitrack able to hold more voltage or at least be more sturdy. 

I think i should invest in a tomix track cleaner.

of course stick in your piece of rail to clean as your swizzle stick and stir. voila track is clean and your drink is ready to clean you!

So one glass per piece, with the glass tall enough to submerge a Unitrack standard straight, and wide enough to hold a #6 turnout, times ??? pieces of track--I'd have to buy the gin by the 50-gallon drum! (And I don't even like gin!)

of course stick in your piece of rail to clean as your swizzle stick and stir. voila track is clean and your drink is ready to clean you!

So one glass per piece, with the glass tall enough to submerge a Unitrack standard straight, and wide enough to hold a #6 turnout, times ??? pieces of track--I'd have to buy the gin by the 50-gallon drum! (And I don't even like gin!)

Did not say it was a cheap solution! more to make you feel better than the track actually! i loved they named the drink the rail cleaner as it looked like the blue tomix rail cleaner! ethanol is a pretty good cleaner, it does go after some plastics more than iso does though. code 55 swizzle sticks were a nice touch!

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/_members/pages/page_16.html

cheers

jeff

Did not say it was a cheap solution! more to make you feel better than the track actually! i loved they named the drink the rail cleaner as it looked like the blue tomix rail cleaner! ethanol is a pretty good cleaner, it does go after some plastics more than iso does though. code 55 swizzle sticks were a nice touch!

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/_members/pages/page_16.html

cheers

jeff

Ten bucks says you can't get Matt or Ken to drink those.  :P

They drank them as they created them with philip when cleaning out matthew's bar before they moved to japan! bummed i missed the event!

we will have to make a batch for the annual meeting coming up!

jeff

ps the equivalent drink for goji would be to eat a tanker truck, not a shinkansen... thats why we give them to him at shows to keep him mellow...

They drank them as they created them with philip when cleaning out matthew's bar before they moved to japan! bummed i missed the event!

we will have to make a batch for the annual meeting coming up!

jeff

ps the equivalent drink for goji would be to eat a tanker truck, not a shinkansen... thats why we give them to him at shows to keep him mellow...

'

'Doc told Goji no more tankers, too many transfats.