Tomytec - Painted & Anything Model Bus Related

JR 500系

Stupid questions - am I correct in understanding the motorized bus system requires merely a buried guide wire and is not dependent on the Tomix roadway? And is the guide wire inert or does it require current flowing in a particular direction or something?

As it's based on the Faller system, it's just a piece of magnet attracting metal wire. And the pieces under the tomix roads aren't even connected, just placed under the plastic. Control is through magnets placed next to the wire.

Btw: i bought a spool of painted wire at a nearby craft shop that looked like the right size and since i didn't have a magnet with me to test it, i got some round, metal tube encased bead bracelet magnets that looked to be Tomytec sized. They work nicely and you can put the wire into the empty slots in the Tomix tracks. 50 meter painted wire was 2.5 usd and two magnets 0.6 usd. I'll make some photos once i get the whole loop fitted with wire.

• Like 3

img20160429.png

I do see a potential here for that moving bus chassis for a truck. It seems pretty long wheel base..

I have seen photos of the truck under development for Faller, who is the European importer of the World Bus Collection.  The truck is a very typical Euro freight truck with short cab and long, high body.

• Like 1

Faller had a few two axle trucks and a semi, but I think they may now be oop as I've not seen them pop up a lot on ebay anymore and at online stores. I assumed that once the licensed the n scale car system to tomytec they kind of gave up on the market or its just very quiet and small in the euro market

http://www.ajckids.com/products/Faller/162041

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faller-162007-N-Gauge-Car-System-Start-Set-TRUCK-MB-SK-Dachser-in-/272337930214?hash=item3f689b07e6:g:7fAAAOSwBahU1snA

The great thing about faller's approach was that each bit of the system was separate and can be mounted easily by themselves into whatever frame you choose. It's actually a lot more compact than the tomytec mech. Cost was the ouch with the faller n vehicles.

- the steering mech/axle

- the rear axle, gear box and motor

- Rechargable battery

- battery recharge plug

- pause reed switch

- on/off switch

I almost tore apart my faller bus (and still plan to some day) to remount the bits in a 2 axle tomytec truck. I just got more stalled on the car system from a scene angle where only one vehicle is running and the rest of the lanes static. It needes specific scenes where this will look right to me.

Sadly the tomytec mech looks not to be very dissectible like this, but is got more features and that's the way they did it to get costs down and quality up I expect.

With the faller system it's really only the steering mech that is the tricky bit to produce. I half looked at it with a 3D printer chap to make some. Gear box is not hard. The parts for the steering mech are pennies, it's the micro assembly that adds the cost for them I'm sure.

Jeff

Except Faller has imported the Tomytec Operating Bus System.  Faller itself seems to be moving to wireless control which requires a license.

Micho Iwarsuki, Tomytec President and CEO in Dortmund to announce the Tomytec / Faller Mercedes Citaro.

http://omnibus.news/spurgefuehrter-citaro

That item is in European shops as of September 2016--only within the last week after most of Europe was on vacation in August--and in the Faller catalouge.

https://www.menzels-lokschuppen.de/Modellautos/Busse/Tomytec-974545-MB-Citaro-E4-DB-AG-Bus-System.html

http://www.faller.de/App/WebObjects/XSeMIPS.woa/cms/page/pid.14.17.92.721/agid.1961.2013/atid.13605/ecm.at/Bus-System-Mercedes-Citaro-Set.html

Faller wireless bus with mention of wireless license.

http://www.faller.de/App/WebObjects/XSeMIPS.woa/cms/page/pid.14.17.109/agid.1139/atid.9760/lg.en/ecm.at/Car-System-Digital-3-0-MB-Citaro-City-bus-RIETZE.html

Edited by bill937ca

The tomytec mech is also modular, the variable length chassis is even more so. (just a screw and two wires between the motor and the steering unit)

The Faller RC bus is using the same band as the Tomix wireless throttles and most cheap RC cars. The two way communication is the new feature in it as it allows feedback. The problem is the same as with any radio system, mainly signal strength and signal collision.

Personally i would vote for a signal wire based nfc system, where the digital signal is transmitted in the guide wire, seltrac style as it allows more vehicles to move at the same time, but the trend is full radio control. (larger scales already use it, like lgb and lego)

ps: Jeff, i think a good scene is cars stuck in a traffic jam and only the bus being able to move on a dedicated bus lane. This would look pretty realistic to me. Another case is the small country road with only the local bus and a few tourist buses wandering the countryside.

its just the old faller system came apart very easily if you wanted to kitbash. Tomytec could just a lot more hacking and whacking to get it into a truck.

yes you are down to the bus lane or the more mellow country or side street scenes. turns are a challenge in a busy city situation as well. best scene use i saw was that little bus layout that was some hilly small side street/neighborhood with a few stopped cars here or there. felt good and not odd only the bus was moving. scene had lots of hidden parts and your eye followed the bus thru the scene so you never really noticed larger blocks of stopped vehicles and only one moving, they seemed like they should be stopped where the bus went by them. it was very nicely done diorama for the moving bus. a lot of thought.

Its a cool option, Its just my personal taste to use it in more discrete scene situations and why i lowered it on my play with list.

jeff

yep thats great work with the paper shells! there are a number of free pdfs out there. lets you butt the cab up to the box which is the hard thing to do with the tomytec as they are pretty discrete and the cabs usually small interior space to get the nose of the tomytec mech up in there.

i need to go back and look at my two tomytec mechs more with some of the tomytec trucks to see how well they may fit in the cab fronts. i remember looking quickly at it and there was a problem that the bus frames usually extend much further forward past the front wheel than trucks do and that was the big issue moving the front axle forward more for the truck

jeff

• Like 1

I have seen photos of the truck under development for Faller, who is the European importer of the World Bus Collection.  The truck is a very typical Euro freight truck with short cab and long, high body.

This is it.

post-75-0-21221200-1473803959_thumb.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/NTrainUK/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Turns out its not Tomytec or Faller but N-Train Bob Davies, 3D cottage industry kits. His Shapeways shop.   I think I have seen his logo in Model Rail.

More of a European transport profile than the typical North American truck.

Edited by bill937ca

What are the numbers for the Keio models? K162 and K163?

Hhmm... they are K158 & K159...

post-819-0-07574400-1473836146_thumb.jpg

Although I am pretty sure they are the same as the Tomytec one:

photo01.jpg

Tomytec announced

post-819-0-43828200-1473836152_thumb.jpg

Mine... They both bear the same number '30711' on its roof...

Interesting topic... It would be fun to kitbash a truck and fit it onto the moving bus chassis! Although it will be strange as to why the truck will stop at bus stops...

What excites me even further is the lights on the newer chassis system... Tomytec seems to find a way to actually fit in head and tail lights to the chassis, which adds realism especially in a night scene! Will be exciting to fun out how it looks, so cant wait for the Kanagawa Chuo Liner bus to be released next month!

Pre-orders for JB041 and JB042 are up today on a number of websites, slated for release in January of next year.

JB041: Hino QDG-KV290N1 (Blue Ribbon II), Yokohama Municipal Transportation Bureau

JB042: Mitsubishi Fuso PKG-MP35UM (Aero Star), Gifu Bus

Along with this and a 1/80 Kanachu QSG-HL2ANAP ひ114 (reg. 湘南200か1976). Interesting to see a full-length bus in 1/80. (Although I think there was another of these in Hino demo colors at some point earlier.)

Edited by korat

Good to see the continual of the All Island bus series... A big fan of those and following since JB1... That Miyakoh bus looks really interesting!

10415919b.jpg 

There seems to be a new thread in Tomytec, publishing more and more of these single unit painted buses... I reckon they sell really well ~

Good to see the continual of the All Island bus series... A big fan of those and following since JB1... That Miyakoh bus looks really interesting!

10415919b.jpg 

There seems to be a new thread in Tomytec, publishing more and more of these single unit painted buses... I reckon they sell really well ~

I also really like the nationwide bus series, but it is curious that there are still no Shikoku prefectures represented yet. I think the idea was that buses from all 47 prefectures would be introduced, and with the new announcements, there will be 42 models in the JB series. Tokyo, Osaka, Aichi, Hokkaido, and Nagasaki all have more than one model so far.

Another curious thing is that they are introducing the new style Ergas and Blue Ribbons in this JB series, but not the new Fuso Aero Star style which was introduced before these two. As far as I know, only the Kanagawa Chuo Original Set #5 (i.e. K148) has the new style of Aero Star. For that matter, some of the buses in the JB series are as old as 2003 models (i.e. JB013) so it would be nicer to have more of a variety than Aero Stars, Ergas, and Blue Ribbons - they could have an occasional Nissan Diesel bus as they were produced up until 2010 and they could have one or two Rainbow HRs. More variety is always better.

As for the wrapping buses, it would be a cool to see some sort of set with buses with commercial wrappings. For example, I always like the Coca-Cola wrapping buses in Kobe. The wraps that are works of art are cool, though.

I was reading through Tomytec's website on the new releases and read this:

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/diocolle/lineup/soko/soko014.html

photo01.jpg

If my limited Japanese serve me correct, is the highlighted phrase means working head light and tail light? Exciting!  This might bring the later models of the moving bus chassis to have these functions too!  :)

But to get this bus you have to buy a whole set, not just the bus and the drive.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10395187

Contents:

- Popular articulated bus in the popular travel bus system will finally appeared.

- This new power is button battery enables charging at the micro-USB is no longer needed.

- It will also be illuminated headlights and tail lights.

※ requires a port corresponding to a separate micro-USB to charge (PC or charging cable).

※ unpainted bus is not included.

※ pass curve radius of the connecting bus is more than 103mm.

[inclusion plan Parts

- One bus body ×

- One dedicated power unit ×

- Curve road C177-30 12 this ×

- Straight road S70-RO × 5 this

- The bus stop for the approach road S70-RO × 3

- Bus stop unit × 1 Equation

- Magnet holder (sensor) × 2

- 24 rail-side joint ×

- USB charge cable products layout image 670mm × 440mm for charging

• Like 1

But to get this bus you have to buy a whole set, not just the bus and the drive.

Yap, I did ~  :P

And seriously it was just for the bus, the drive and the lighting system...  But it marks a new era for the later models to include lights in them which is exciting, seeing so much new bus models being released each month!  :)

Creative use of the bus system.  I like the stone walls on the bus roads. Overall a very nice effort.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2