Quoting member posts

Ochanomizu

Hello,

I wonder if there is the setting to show the author of a quote.  For example, when I recently quoted Mr bikkuri bahn he is not credited with the quote.

Other forum that I visit shows the author, date and time of post when I quote part or all of the post.  This would be useful.  Even just quoting the author would be helpful.  Unfortunately, in this forum the [quote=username] tag does not function.

Ochanomizu

Hello,

Hello,

I wonder if there is the setting to show the author of a quote.  For example, when I recently quoted Mr bikkuri bahn he is not credited with the quote.

Other forum that I visit shows the author, date and time of post when I quote part or all of the post.  This would be useful.  Even just quoting the author would be helpful.  Unfortunately, in this forum the [quote=username] tag does not function.

So sorry, it seems to be working in Admin forum and N Gauge forum.  I shall check other forum where I posted earlier.  Did Admin make change just now?

Martijn Meerts

We haven't made any changes no .. 

I do believe quoting behaviour on mobile devices is a bit off though, when using the mobile theme. Still need to look into that at some point.

It may be a matter of perception.  If you click the quote button in a post (as I just did with Martijn's last note) you get what looks like an author-less quote baloon. The same as you get through clicking the quote button above the text-entry window (the little cloud-like thing).

However if you click preview, the preview shows it with attribution, and that's the way it displays:

I do believe quoting behaviour on mobile devices is a bit off though, when using the mobile theme. Still need to look into that at some point.

However, if you want to subdivide it, you need to create one of the empty quotes and then cut/paste text into it.  There doesn't seem to be a way to create multiple copies that all contain the same attribution and a subset of the text:

With the old forum, the attribution was editable, so you could cut/paste it and create multiple quote boxes all attributed. You could also quote multiple emails in one reply with a bit of cut/paste gymnastics. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that in the new system.

Martijn Meerts
It may be a matter of perception.  If you click the quote button in a post (as I just did with Martijn's last note) you get what looks like an author-less quote baloon. The same as you get through clicking the quote button above the text-entry window (the little cloud-like thing).

However if you click preview, the preview shows it with attribution, and that's the way it displays:

However, if you want to subdivide it, you need to create one of the empty quotes and then cut/paste text into it.  There doesn't seem to be a way to create multiple copies that all contain the same attribution and a subset of the text:

With the old forum, the attribution was editable, so you could cut/paste it and create multiple quote boxes all attributed. You could also quote multiple emails in one reply with a bit of cut/paste gymnastics. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that in the new system.

You can quote multiple posts at a time by using the "MultiQuote" button. If you click it, a small box should appear in the lower right corner which says something like "Reply to x post(s)". So, just hit "MultiQuote" on all the posts you want to quote, then hit "Reply to x post(s)" (where x is the number of posts you clicked "MultiQuote" on.

To change quote attribution and copy quoted text and keeping the attribution, you can go into html mode (the top left button in the text editor window, the one that looks like a light switch), and copy/paste it there. Not the best option, but should work for now. I can have a look at the text editor and see if it's configurable without too much hacking around :)