Btrain shorty newbie

sundaytrain

sundaytrain

Hi, 

I'm 34 years old, from France, and I recently found interest in model railroad hobby, with big scale lego trains. 

These days, I wanted to complete this first side of my new hobby (lego big scale layout) with some small scale trains. I remembered buying a few bandai Btrain shorty sets years ago. 

I found this forum searching for informations,  and so I readed the topic concerning btrains here, but to be honest, I'm still confused, and I still have a lost of questions : 

how do I recognize train type (trams, metro, suburban trains, diesel, electric, etc...), train composition (number of cars, markings, etc...)  : very difficult since every info (box set or internet) is in japanese. I even don't know the name of the grey train I bought since every info on the box is in japanese   ???

How can I represent the rubber doorway between the wagons (I don't know the technical name), and other extra details

What motor is good for a specific model

etc, etc...  :icon_scratch:  :toothy12:

I hope I'll find the needed infos here to start a new hobby. Here's some pics of my current stuff (as you can see I also have 2 straight tomix track pieces, and an extra curved track piece not shown on the pics) : 

P7080419_zpsfe26a455.jpg

P7080417_zps09db4fdc.jpg

P7090432_zps9b04ece5.jpg

Thanks

Edited by sundaytrain

Hi sundaytrain,

I like to use Hobby Search. It's a Japanese online hobby shop. I use it to see what's out there and to order B Train Shorties as well.

I used their search function and found your grey train. It's here I think.  Looks like the other train is this one.  I like to use the Bandai Power Unit 3 for my B Train Shorties as it's 8 wheel drive and has pretty good pulling power. Hobby Search also has a blog showing how a basic car is put together.

Hope that helps a bit. Not sure how you'd make the gangway connection or concertina or whatever it's called but if you do figure it out please post it here.

Cheers eh,

Todd

sundaytrain

thanks for the tip ! Now I know the grey train name  : Tokyu Series 8500 (EMU type). 

and I can see that I made a good choice guying two sets to make a 4 cars train : refering google images, it seems that it's common to have relatively long trains. 

Concerning the brown one (I also have the pink one, but I lost the decals for it), it seems to be a tramway. It probably needs special tracks and motor assembly ? The other problem with Btrain trams is the central bogey, between the 2 cars. But it's not big deal, I don't think I'll do a big city  urban layout (so no needs for tramways). 

Concerning the gangway connection, maybe something could be done with black foam...

The trams run on the same 9mm track as the other trains. Kato and Tomix both make tram track. You can also find them on Hobby Search. The foam might work. Good idea.

Todd

Hi sunday train:

First of, welcome to the forums!

I'm not a shorty train guy, but i can provide what information i have (although much times i may be wrong) to assist you:

1) The types of train and train composition can be found in this site: http://sunny-life.net/train_symbol/trainsymbol.htm#ElectricLocomotives that provides much information about how the train cars are named. Also, there's a sticky thread here: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/667-kuha-saha-moha-kiha-japanese-rail-car-nomenclature/ in the forum explaning further the information and their names of the train carriages and what they mean

2) I think the offical wordings for the 'gangways' would be 'diaphragms'. Here's a thread in the forum with more information on them: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/6720-diaphragm-between-railway-cars-in-model/?hl=diaphragm

3) Todd is a B-shorty guy so he can provide much information with regards to B-shorty trains, as to what motor to use and what pantographs to attach. Side note Todd makes nice videos with his son which i enjoy watching~~

4) Hobby search (http://www.1999.co.jp/firsttime_e.asp?Typ1_c=104) is a really good site for Japanese railway supplies, and also provides alot of information due to their extensive range of products. It's about the best site to use for information and data gathering. I still use their extensive data base, especially their wish list, to keep track of which products i would need~ There are other suppliers out there too with competitve pricing. You can check them out here in this thread: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/forum/51-suppliers/ under the Suppliers Thread.

Hoped that helps and enjoy your stay here! Looking forward to seeing your train collections!

*Side note: I used to collect Lego trains too, before coming into Japanese N scale. I still have quite a number of Lego trains like the Metroliner, RC and PF cargo trains, Meserk train, Emerald Nights, RC passenger trains etc. It's hard to call LEgo train scale as Lego really cannot be termed correctly as scaled models, but they look mighty good! The tricky part is finding space to run even a simple Lego train layout, which i eventually gave up and came into N scale in my spaced-deprived home...

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
sundaytrain

Hi, 

Thank you all for the answers !

You gave me usefull infos. I'll study them and come back here. Maybe I should create a topic in the good forum section, instead of the welcome forum ? 

Concerning LEGO, I'm currently building a 240x105cm layout, I'll post pics on off topic forum if any interest. 

This morning I found the last train of my Btrain collection. It's a tramway. As usual, I just quickly built it, no decals or whatever. I plan to permanently build all the trains (using glue when needed) and make some details on them (weathering, decals). 

Here's some pics of the tram :

P7090434_zps786acb9e.jpg

P7090437_zpsef07c34b.jpg

As you can see, the rolling part of it is a bit weird. Normally, refering to pics, these trams 's got one boggey on each end, and one on the center shared between the 2 cars. I don't know if a realistic way to represent it is possible with btrain tramways.

I am addicted to B-trains also :icon_thumleft:

Diaphragms on B-trains sounds cool! I wonder how they could be made?

I often wish Tomytec would make some diaphragms for their normal sized N gauge models.

Edited by dabsan