Is British N Gauge Catching Up?

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

Perhaps an over-optimistic statement, however I thought I would post a picture of my latest acquisition on here to show what standards are now being obtained from UK manufacturers. A stunning model, pity about the couplings which at least give an indication of scale...

This is a Dapol A1X 'Terrier', the prototype being introduced by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway in 1872. They lasted in service in the South of England until 1963, when their final route was closed. Some of these locomotives were preserved, and one is now recognised as the oldest regularly steamed locomotive in the world.

The 'nickname 'Terrier' came from their extremely diminutive size, their uprising strength and quick acceleration (they were originally introduced as suburban locomotives) In terms of the model, they are unusual in that they depict a locomotive from the 'pre-grouping' era, which lasted from the dawn of railways, until 1923 when the 140-odd companies in the UK were merged down to four.

One of the main difficulties in depicting engines from this era is the often complex livery - the ochre with vermilion and white lining on this engine is particularly challenging. The names of these engines 'Stepney' in this case, followed the LBSCR practice of naming engines after towns and villages in the area the line served...

Enjoy  ;D

post-141-13569922538475_thumb.jpeg

post-141-13569922538882_thumb.jpeg

post-141-13569922539289_thumb.jpeg

post-141-13569922539685_thumb.jpeg

post-141-13569922540145_thumb.jpeg

Claude - That is a nice detailed engine, who makes it? I like the comparison photo you added but I agree the rapido couplers are way out of scale with the train. How does it run? (Why I ask this is because I have the Minitrix "Der Adler" train and it is an extremely poor runner.)

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude - That is a nice detailed engine, who makes it? I like the comparison photo you added but I agree the rapido couplers are way out of scale with the train. How does it run? (Why I ask this is because I have the Minitrix "Der Adler" train and it is an extremely poor runner.)

It is produced by a company called Dapol, who have recently released a 00/H0 version of the Tomix track-cleaner/Vacuum wagon. A little drop of oil, and a few circuits and it runs beautifully. As an aside, I had a Minitrix 'Der Adler' for a few years, before it terminally expired...I sold it on to a collecter for static display...

That great that it a beautiful runner. Are you planning on changing the couplers and if so to what?

I still have my "Der Adler" and it's only good as a static model. Here are 2 photos in case members don't know what we're talking about. (Sorry the photos are a little soft.)

post-22-13569922544166_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922544743_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

I was impressed when Dapol got the license to make HO guage cleaners based on the Tomix design. I was also impressed when they had the gall to recall their first locomotive over quality control concerns. This looks like a company to keep an eye on!

Too bad I have no real interest in British outline stuff :( But I'm glad to see someone taking this market seriously! You long-suffering Brits (and British modelers) deserve this!

Claude_Dreyfus

I was impressed when Dapol got the license to make HO guage cleaners based on the Tomix design. I was also impressed when they had the gall to recall their first locomotive over quality control concerns. This looks like a company to keep an eye on!

Too bad I have no real interest in British outline stuff :( But I'm glad to see someone taking this market seriously! You long-suffering Brits (and British modelers) deserve this!

That hasn't stopped some of them carping on about a few inaccuracies with it.... ::)

The saga surrounding the recall centres on a company called Ixion - Dapol are the main distributers for them. Something went a little wrong in the design stage, and it was discovered to be something like 3% overscale. I actually received one of these models, and it looked okay; to my ignorant eye, totally unaware of the finer points of GWR locomotive details  ;D.

They are producing a new batch; and will provide me with an accurate replacement fairly soon...not too sure of the timescales as yet. Ixion are breaking into the US market with an 0n30 'Coffee Pot'...

Martijn Meerts

I was considering getting 1 of those Terriers and "adjusting" it a bit to fit into a Studio Ghibli setting. Not quite sure if I will yet though, will be a while before I can really work on those modules.

One of the main difficulties in depicting engines from this era is the often complex livery - the ochre...

Ochre? Nah, it's Stroudley's "Improved Engine Green"! Supposedly he was colour-blind...  ;)

But seriously Claude, it's a nice looking model of a superb little engine. I fired one of the preserved examples a few years back, and I don't think I've ever had as much fun on the footplate as I did that day.

All the best,

Mark.