JR East rolling stock announcements

An adjustment in the timetable is another option, but we won't see that until April 2014 (when the timetable is usually revised).

A tilting version of the E257 would require a slimmer body, since the E351 have a 2,843mm body and the E257 a 2,946mm body (a difference of 10cm). It would probably result in a new train series I think...

The E257 looks rather bland IMO, but the E257-500 is a design I'd like to see more! Also, I'm not sad the Golf Balls are going away... The Chūō line needs more interesting trains. So far the only interesting trains running there are the 115s and freight trains IMO :P

Have some "mèh" at Hachiōji I snapped a few months ago by the way.

post-188-0-80531000-1375711984_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-92754600-1375711993_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Okay, the E257-500 looks better than the E257, but the E351 is the first Japanese train I knew of so don't you mock it Toni! :D It was even featured on the calendar of the Dutch railway association last year to compare it to a "Koploper" unit.

It's one of those Japanese trains that just scream "I'm a Japanese train and you'll remember it!".

And JR Central designs are very very boring, no wonder there are so few Japanese doing JR Central.

• Like 1
An adjustment in the timetable is another option, but we won't see that until April 2014 (when the timetable is usually revised).

Based on the discussion here http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/6481-successor-to-jr-east-e351-super-azusa/ I think a timetable adjustment is a likely option.  I doubt that there can be a variant of the E257 that will tilt; its fundamental design probably can't accommodate that.  So, either a design that can't keep the E351's schedule on the Chuo Line, or a new series of tilting train that doesn't cause problems with rail wear.

• Like 1

For now, I believe they will keep E351 while serviceable and slowly replace with E257.  Expect timetable adjustment to reveal definitively. A new route through Chuotosen is the best option.  It will resolve many track speed limitation on the line.

Thank you for the pics Toni! But why is the Super Azusa Golf Balls? 

By the way i'm with Densha, the Super Azusa is a really beautiful limited express train, with its white and purple livery and bubble head with LED panel in the front, and fully-automatic coupling/ un-coupling system to connect the 8 and 4 car sets... And tilting mechanism ... Too much beauty in one train and a real pity to scrap..

The E257... Well.. IS kinda boring and squarish...   

• Like 1

Yeah, the Super Asuza looks like a boring golf ball according to Sashinka (and I have to agree with him). I also never liked them that much.

Why would they scrap the 211 series?! They still have lots of 115 series to be replaced so why not replace those with 211 series first?

• Like 1
Why would they scrap the 211 series?! They still have lots of 115 series to be replaced so why not replace those with 211 series first?

E231-1000 Series and 205-600 Series...

But the 205 and 211 series is from the same time right? I don't really get that. And to replace the 211's with E231's you need a replacement for the E231's...?

Scrapping (in this context) is just the old term for recycling. I grew up next to a scrapyard (before recycling term was around much 40-50 years back) where the "scrapers" were amazingly good at recycling and reusing before it was in vogue!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

Hello Mr Jeff,

So sorry, my last comment was not clear and I did not mean to offend. 

Japanese trains have been designed to be recycled since the late 1970's.  By the 1980's there was a mandatory ordinance in place dictating how much of a train (and other things) had to be recyclable (is it a word?).  Of course, the ordinance has been revised a number of times since, always with tighter, more stringent standards.  These days most of a train is recycled.

I know you are very experienced railfan and modeller so, of course, you understand this.  But I wanted to point it out for the newer members who might not be familiar with Japanese culture, railways, and standards. 

These days, the plastics coming out of an E4 shinkansen might end up in the next year's Mazda, a laser printer, or even a Mt Fuji souvenir, because such materials are so flexible.  However, more unusual materials now must have their next life accounted for before they can be used.  I am not aware of any specific example but I guess it might be difficult to recycle some of the seat coverings, or toilet pans, for example.

Ochanomizu San,

Sorry just saying that the term scrapped can be used the same as recycled. Recycle is a relatively new term that replaced scrapping. It can mean the same thing.

Cheers, Jeff

Ochanomizu, just to be clear, we say "scrap" to mean recycling a car, train, or other similar thing, usually a large, metal object (and in particular, its metal content; the plastic parts might go to a landfill).  We would not say scrap to mean recycling paper, a beverage can, a cell phone, etc.

OMG!  So confusing.

This is the most complicated thing since learning that 11 and 12 were not "teens" and 2nd and 3rd were not "twoth" and "threeth".

So, now I learn that modern day interpretation of "scrapped" = "recycled".  JNSForum is such a fountain of information, don't you think?

Thank you Mr Jeff for explaining it for me.

I can't figure out exactly what they're trying to say but it's about the 651 series: http://railf.jp/news/2013/08/09/100000.html

Looking at wikipedia it seems the 651 series and E653 series were actually withdrawn from service last March which I had no idea about. From 1 October 2013 to March 2015 however the 651 series will be used once a day on Fresh Hitachi services because they forgot to install indicator lights on the E657 or something... Now I also get why the E653 series are being repainted into a new colour for use on other services.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_%28Japanese_train%29

Hello Mr Densha,

Please allow me to assist you with 651系. 

It was withdrawn from general service last March.  It is currently used on daily service of one round trip between Ueno and Katsuta.  Service is scheduled until March 2015.

And some news about 653系.

Some 653系 are now being used between Niigata and Akita because it was decided that all regular train "Super Hitachi" and "Fresh Hitachi" is replaced by the E657 system in the timetable revision of 16th March 2013

These changes have occurred partly due to line closures resulting from the 2011 earthquake.

TestudoToTetsudo
Hello Mr Densha,

Please allow me to assist you with 651系. 

It was withdrawn from general service last March.  It is currently used on daily service of one round trip between Ueno and Katsuta.  Service is scheduled until March 2015.

And some news about 653系.

Some 653系 are now being used between Niigata and Akita because it was decided that all regular train "Super Hitachi" and "Fresh Hitachi" is replaced by the E657 system in the timetable revision of 16th March 2013

These changes have occurred partly due to line closures resulting from the 2011 earthquake.

I also read that the 653 would be going onto the Inaho starting this fall.  Doesn't the 653 have Romance Car-like front-row/last-row seats with the front/rear view?  I'm hoping to ride the Inaho on my next trip to Japan and wonder if I have a shot at such a view.

Any ideas how long it will be until all Inaho services use 653 services?  Any idea if it will be all 653 by fall 2014?

Hello Mr  TetsudoToTetsudo,

So sorry, but the E653 is not a romance car.  The lower half of the front window is opaque.

As to when the 653 service will be operating in Inaho, I found this information:  http://www.jrniigata.co.jp/press/20130705daiyakaisei0928.pdf

It looks like the service is starting on September 28th.  A single round trip will operate.  Scheduled as Inaho No:7 and Inaho No: 8.  Travel times are reduced by 2 minutes to Akita and 3 minutes to Niigata.  The 7-car train is non-smoking only.  Car 1 (Akita end) is the Green Car.

Japan Wiki notes that all Inaho services are scheduled to be replaced by summer 2014.

I believe they're introducing the E653 on the Inaho service because the 485's now running the route are rapidly aging and getting too expensive to repair. In fact, I think at the rate things are going the last stand of the 485's in mainline service may be the Hakuchō service between Aomori and Hakodate Stations through the Seikan Tunnel--and that will be phased out in 2016 as the new Hokkaido Shinkansen from Shin-Aomori to Shin-Hakodate Stations opens.