JR East rolling stock announcements

And yet again JR East has announced some new rolling stock.

This time another color variant of the E233 for the Nambu line ( :sleepy1: ) to replace the 205 series.

The new E129 series (optically at least the same as the E721 series) for the Niigata area to replace the 115 series units. 30 two-car and 25 four-car EMU's will be delivered. According to the news message the E129 series saves 50% power compared to the 115 series, which is quite amazing.

For the new connection between the Senseki line and Tohoku Main Line (Shiogama-Takagimachi), JR East ordered eight two-car HB-E210 hybrid DMU's. These should be able to reduce emissions for 60%!

JR East pdf: http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2013/20130703.pdf

News message: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2013/07/02/245/index.html

P.S. I'm looking for that new E233 series lookalike hybrid-DMU with a pantograph but I can't find it back. Anybody who knows where it went?

• Like 1

Since the new E129's are essentially direct replacements for the rapidly aging JNR Class 115 EMU's, could the E129 be a preview of the trains that replace the rapidly aging 115's in JR West service west of Himeji? Or will JR West just buy trains based on the 225 or 321 EMU's but with upgraded traction motors to handle the steeper grades of the San'yō Main Line in western Japan?

Ochanomizu

Hello Mr Sacto,

So sorry, I do not know what plans JRW has for 115 replacement.  However, the lifespan of 115 is drawing to an end.  Although the 115 organisation is quite satisfactory mechanically, power consumption is almost halved in newer models.  With the outcome of the recent events in the power industry still uncertain many Japanese are keen to see energy efficiency improved.

Say goodbye to the Niigata 115 organisation.

Time for me to head up north with the bicycle and hang around the Chūō line then... :D

bronzeonion

Also a shame the Nambu 205's will be replaced. They still look smart (but not modern), seats are comfortable and it is a very well designed train altogether.

Japan really needs to get more of their retired trains to developing countries. I know they're already doing that sometimes but it's just a big waste to just scrap all those many and many trains while trains in those countries are even less efficient.

Also, the Dutch railways should've just bought the retired 200 or 300 series Shinkansen, much better than that nonsense now going on here. (And yes, I know such things won't happpen because of the different safety systems and all but the cab-signalling and voltage is used on both the Japanese and Dutch high speed lines.)

Time for me to head up north with the bicycle and hang around the Chūō line then... :D

I think it's quite a long ride on your bicycle to Niigata? :P

• Like 1

I think the bad news is that within the next 3-4 years, 115's are going to be vanishing off Japanese rail lines like an ice cube in hot weather. :(

Everywhere 115's are common now--JR West from Himeji to Shimonoseki, much of the JR East/Central Chuo Main Line, and JR East in the Niigata area, and so on--could see them replaced by new trains like the E129 in eastern Japan and (maybe) uprated 225's in western Japan. Soon, the only place to see 115's may be the Shinano Railway Line between Karuizawa and Nagano--if we're lucky!

JR West is still running 103s on the Osaka Loop and the Yamatoji Line.  Replacement of 115s may begin, but somewhere or other, there will still be some running for several years yet.

I think it's quite a long ride on your bicycle to Niigata? :P

Oooh, stupid me. I was thinking of the Nagano coloured 115s :D Those are still running on the Chūō line from Tachikawa to the West.

• Like 1
JR West is still running 103s on the Osaka Loop and the Yamatoji Line.  Replacement of 115s may begin, but somewhere or other, there will still be some running for several years yet.

I believe that JR West may purge many of the old EMU's off the Osaka Loop Line and Yamatoji Line within the next few years. The 103's may go first, but the 201's will likely stay for some time since most were rebuilt 7-8 years ago to modern standards. I wouldn't be surprised if JR West places a big order for 321 Series EMU's--if the 321's loading gauge is compatible with Loop Line platforms--to just purge all the old 103's and 201's eventually.

bronzeonion
Oooh, stupid me. I was thinking of the Nagano coloured 115s :D Those are still running on the Chūō line from Tachikawa to the West.

I believe the 115 series on those lines have already started being replaced by 211 series from the Tokaido/Utsunomiya/Takasaki lines and Chiba?

I believe the 115 series on those lines have already started being replaced by 211 series from the Tokaido/Utsunomiya/Takasaki lines and Chiba?

Naw. I just went to do some teaching sessions at Toyoda and saw some 115s around (both in Chūō and Nagano colours), as well as a new Saikyō E233 and the 115 training car.

Actually, I didn't see a single 211...

Edited by Toni Babelony

Hello Mr Densha,

Please allow me to assist you with your search.

The diesel hybrid that you refer to is most probably the KiHa E200 operated by JRE on the Koumi Line.

I'm sorry, I was a bit vague in my post.

I know JR East has the KiHA E200 in use, but I also read a while back that JR East was planning the EV-E301 series I mentioned in my last post. I only wasn't able to find it back until yesterday.

Thanks for the offer though! :)

Looks like the Green Cars from the 185 Series are being sent off to meet their final destiny: http://railf.jp/news/2013/07/24/120000.html

The 185 Series are partially being shortened to 6-car trains because of the lack of interest in Green Car seats on the services these trains are used on (like the Hamakaiji on the Yokohama line).

Just when we were talking about EF64's with double couplers in the Kato announcement topic!

And as always, I just find it cruel to see that trains kept in such a perfect like-new shape are getting scrapped. They could be used for many more decades if they want!

• Like 1
Since the new E129's are essentially direct replacements for the rapidly aging JNR Class 115 EMU's, could the E129 be a preview of the trains that replace the rapidly aging 115's in JR West service west of Himeji? Or will JR West just buy trains based on the 225 or 321 EMU's but with upgraded traction motors to handle the steeper grades of the San'yō Main Line in western Japan?

The 225 and 321 series are a few years old and suspect it would be a revised derivative such as a 227 or 323 class.

I believe that JR West may purge many of the old EMU's off the Osaka Loop Line and Yamatoji Line within the next few years. The 103's may go first, but the 201's will likely stay for some time since most were rebuilt 7-8 years ago to modern standards. I wouldn't be surprised if JR West places a big order for 321 Series EMU's--if the 321's loading gauge is compatible with Loop Line platforms--to just purge all the old 103's and 201's eventually.

I'm amazed that the 103s are still in service, but then again, look at the Hanwa line that is still running. I also do not forsee the 201's being around much longer if at all over the 103's. Eight years since an overhaul is still a decent amount of time as so far as service life goes

Shashinka,

I think what we'll see replacing the 115's west of Himeji is essentially a 225 derivative, though with upgraded traction motors so it could handle the Senohachi grade between Seno and Saijo Stations east of HIroshima and the grade between Hatabu and Chofu Stations east of Shimonoseki.

Just when we were talking about EF64's with double couplers in the Kato announcement topic!

And as always, I just find it cruel to see that trains kept in such a perfect like-new shape are getting scrapped. They could be used for many more decades if they want!

True, but trains in Japan might look okay from the outside and inside, but underneath all that nice shine, there are layers of rust and putty. If you pass Omiya or any other place that, you might just see rolling stock being refurbished with patching all over the place. Just the other day I saw a bleak Odakyū EXE standing in the yard of the Ōno depot with lots of patching on it as well. Once I get a good camera with a nice zoom function, I can snap pictures of these things at my local station (a few RSE and HiSE cars are also staged in a depot as well there).

bronzeonion
True, but trains in Japan might look okay from the outside and inside, but underneath all that nice shine, there are layers of rust and putty. If you pass Omiya or any other place that, you might just see rolling stock being refurbished with patching all over the place. Just the other day I saw a bleak Odakyū EXE standing in the yard of the Ōno depot with lots of patching on it as well. Once I get a good camera with a nice zoom function, I can snap pictures of these things at my local station (a few RSE and HiSE cars are also staged in a depot as well there).

I can agree with you on that! As a volunteer on a heritage railway here in the UK, being on the carriage maintenance team you tend to pick up on things like that. Noticed alot of this sort of thing on the Omiya based JNR colour 183系 when I would come across them last time I was in Japan.

You don't always need a zoom lens, I caught this patch job on a JR Kyushu 787 in 2011.

post-182-0-97421100-1375055147_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-90885600-1375055150_thumb.jpg