Best looking trains

DO EEET! :D

And so I did create this topic. :)

Just like in the ugliest trains topic, post your own favourite/best looking/whatever train here. Since this is in the Japan rail forum section I guess we'll limit ourselves to Japanese trains, but of course you can just sneak in your foreign train.

My ever favourite train is of course JR Shikoku 5000 series, as you can see in my signature:

It just looks so cool with that double decker cab car and the front is really something. The JR West 223-5000 series cars look great anyway.

These kind of weird JR West combinations of 113 and 115 series look quite awesome too:

http://youtu.be/7CtQOlXZPGM

Reversed:

Martijn Meerts

800 series shinkansen obviously, my first Japanese train :)

Also, Dutch Railways series 1200, always loved that one, as well as the F3/F7 Santa Fe warbonnets (the silver & red ones)

If it's about Dutch trains I like practically all pulled trains with a loco, although the pre-nineties EMUs and DMUs look really nice too.

Considering this topic being in the "Japan Rail, news and announcements" topic, I shall go for Japanese trains only.

My love will always go out for the Hokusō 7000 Type, but it's not a very beautiful train. It's very attractive to me, and will always be my favourite. The thing is that I have to save up money for this train... My local TamTam still has a 6-car train standing around for a reasonable price.

549533.jpg

Anyway, as for a beautiful train, I'm not sure...

The Tōbu 6000 Series always struck me as very beautiful in its simplicity and functionality. Too bad they were phased out very quickly.

tb6000_001.jpg

Then again, the Skyliner old AE Type in the 90s livery from Keisei is also a very nice train to look at.

old-AE-skyliner.jpg

As for modern trains (I don't like'em too much), maybe the Tokyo Metro 06 is a very fine example of good design. It could have been a worthy replacement for the 6000 Types, but instead they chose for those fugly 16000 types (these almost made if for the ugliest train thread by the way).

1.JPG

But I think I must go for the Meitetsu 7000 Series as the winner in my opinion. Its bold design and 70s futuristic lines are just eye-candy.

n7000last3.jpg

So many choices... :grin.  I'll have to think about it.

Tony: thanks for the picture of the original Skyliner, I don't think I've ever seen it before.  Also, true about the Tobu 6000.  I also like their 6050, which are converted 6000s.

Edited by miyakoji

Hhhmmm now are shinkansens allowed? The best looking train ever in my opinion is of course like my signature and nick, the 500 series. Never had there been a train in the world to come up with such a bold design and aero-place like front, and all the carriages are rounded... It even looks fast, and it IS fast.

Too bad it's getting phrased out soon....

My vote for the limited express trains will be.... The E351 Super Azusa. I just got the model, i drove the train in Densha de go final and the bubble head with purple livery across white really grows on me:

The super Hitachi is a very close second:

As for the express trains, i would give my vote to the E231-1000 on the Tokaido line:

That's something about this train with it's Tokaido line livery and double-decker cars that gets to me slowly like a poision...

The E253 former Narita Express is a very close second:

Lovely, with the red, black and white and all, don't you think?

Finally the local trains, i would vote:

Has to be the 201 series... With all it's livery and all! This is the 中央特快 or limited express

This is 四季彩(旧塗装) Shikisai Old colour . I love the old colour more than the new..

Tokaido line

Sobu Line

Universal studios livery

Harry Porter livery

Man they just look great!

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

JR500,

So far I know the E231-1000 and 201 series were/are used for both local and rapid trains. The orange 201 series was used on the Chuo line, just like the E351 series. The Narita Express is a limited express service btw. ;)

In general most commuter stock doesn't look that great from a styling standpoint.  But they are not here to be pretty. But the older very boxy emus with growling motors catch may attention every time.

Some reactions

Hokusō 7000 Type --- Yuck, just a box on wheels.

old Skyliner --- a box that could have used some curves

Tokyo Metro 06 - I like this train's styling, but read somewhere yesterday that there are performance issues with it.

Meitetsu 7000 Series -- a true classic and a bit of late 50s fin styling

201 Chuo Series -- a like this train with its solid orange scheme although for today's world its not very efficient

E351 Super Azusa  -- I find this bland.  I'd be looking for another train.

My favorite train is the Series 271.

A close second is the Meitetsu 3400.

Generally, I find LImited Express trains have greater appeal. Any train that allows passengers to sit at the front and look out a panoramic window is a far superior design both from a marketing perspective and from the railfan's viewpoint.

Edited by bill937ca
Guest keio6000

These are all wonderful suggestions - I agree with most of them but not really (to each his own!) the shikoku series liked by densha, which to me looks almost similar to the Tsukuba Express trains, which also made my 'ugly' list.

I think we have to differentiate 'favorite' and 'best looking' a bit.  Chuo 201 and Keio 6000 are deinitely among my favorites -- but are they 'beautiful' in the way others are in an aesthetic sense?

Here's my beauty list:

92085_169nagano2.jpg

454114833_b251c6eca1.jpg

120418-meitetsu3400-5027.jpg

10213631.jpg

odakyu3100_221.jpg

300px-885SeriesKamome.jpg

• Like 1
Davo Dentetsu

I guess my N scale collection reflects all my likes, so it's hard to pick a specific.  Beat me up enough and I would say EF66/EF510 would be a close match.  KiHa 283s though... see, I dunno.  I'm already struggling on an ultimate!

These are all wonderful suggestions - I agree with most of them but not really (to each his own!) the shikoku series liked by densha, which to me looks almost similar to the Tsukuba Express trains, which also made my 'ugly' list.

I think we have to differentiate 'favorite' and 'best looking' a bit.  Chuo 201 and Keio 6000 are deinitely among my favorites -- but are they 'beautiful' in the way others are in an aesthetic sense?

Here's my beauty list:

92085_169nagano2.jpg

I was thinking of the 115/169 in Nagano livery when I saw this thread.  It's one of my favorites and definitely appropriate for its region.

Not much love for the boxes I see? No matter. I like boxy trains a lot. For curves I just look somewhere else.

By the way. I forgot one of the most beautiful commuter trains of 'em all! Also a favourite of mine, but I don't know if I will ever buy one for my N-gauge collection. It's beautiful, but not fitting in with my modeling interests, which are really 1435mm gauge Kantō commuter trains...

50000b.jpg

Yes! It's the Tōbu 50050 Type. One of the most elegant and simple designs I've seen in a long time. Yes, the breaks make a lot of noise. Yes the interior is a bit shabby. Yes, the ride isn't the best of 'em all, but damn it looks nice and clean. Oh the sheer joy of having this train running on the nearby Denentoshi line between the older Tōkyū and Tokyo Metro types. ☆^(o≧∀≦)oニパッ 

• Like 1
I guess my N scale collection reflects all my likes, so it's hard to pick a specific.  Beat me up enough and I would say EF66/EF510 would be a close match.  KiHa 283s though... see, I dunno.  I'm already struggling on an ultimate!

I knew I was missing something, I think the old cream and blue EF66 looks amazing.

My pick for the best looking JNR steam loco class:

800px-JNR_C57_180_20070818.jpg

Beautiful!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Guest keio6000

There's no doubt that C57 is nice, but because it's universally popular, I think a second choice is in order - for me, it's the somewhat odd looking 9600 locos.  But then, to be perfectly honest, most of these steam locomotives start looking pretty samey to me, says the person who cares about beaded vs corrugated sides on the keio 7000.

one interesting one for beauty for me is this:  like most people, I am no great fan of the overall look of the N700 shinkansen.  it's functional and fast, but was designed for the wind tunel, not the catwalk.  so therefore, in terms of a "good job designers", I gotta commend JR Kyushu for the N700-8000. While photos don't show it, the Kyushu branded R-sets look a lot more pleasing than the standard N700s both in model form and in real life.   Of course, I think it's almost no contest that JR Kyushu is known for excellent aesthetics overall given their limited resources, at least on express trains and shinkansen.  I have a design book made by JR Kyushu somewhere here - it's quite nice.  

The best shinkansen, however, are:

kato_shinkansen_800_kyushu.jpg

and

jr_east_shinkansen_200-renewal.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't seen any votes yet for the 100 series Shinkansen, it's my favorite. I think Shinkansen design had nowhere to go but downhill after that.

I've always liked the proportions of the C58, the C57 always seems a bit ungainly looking to me with those tall drivers under such a small boiler.

• Like 1

My favorites are the original 0 Series Shinkansen (after all, it really did pioneer high-speed rail service) and the 500 Series Shinkansen. Pity they didn't refurbish the 500 Series with upgraded traction motors so it could still be in at least Hikari service even now.

My favorite has to be the Series 500. The train's appearance screams "I'm Fast!", which it is. Truth and Beauty in one package.

One the other hand, "Best Looking" taken in the sense of being "good looking and distinctive" isn't quite the same as "my favorite". And while Japan is full of distinctive trains, one stands out for me: The Nankai 50000.

It's not practical, and there's nothing "honest" about the appearance (which says "spaceship" or "victorian submarine", rather than "airport shuttle"). But "distinctive" it's got by the bucketload.

It even has wood flooring! On a train! How cool is that?

post-228-0-19692300-1372129707_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-36145800-1372129718_thumb.jpg

lurkingknight

have to say the e231-xxxx seem to be a favorite of mine, I'm not quite sure if it's a mixture of the trains with the platform songs or what but they are far more memorable to me than the trains in osaka when I was there.

While I love the E231, I couldn't really call one "best looking" with a straight face.  It's not ugly, and it's a step above "utilitarian". But not "best".

It's not practical, and there's nothing "honest" about the appearance (which says "spaceship" or "victorian submarine", rather than "airport shuttle"). But "distinctive" it's got by the bucketload.

"Batmobile"

There's no doubt that C57 is nice, but because it's universally popular, I think a second choice is in order - for me, it's the somewhat odd looking 9600 locos. 

Densha, I like your second choice too. The 9600s appeal to me as well, with their purposeful Germanic looks and variety of features. I prefer the versions with these smoke deflectors, but in that class of engine there's something for everyone. 

9600.jpg

But then, to be perfectly honest, most of these steam locomotives start looking pretty samey to me, says the person who cares about beaded vs corrugated sides on the keio 7000.

Nothing wrong with that!  :)  We have a number of variations amongst our double-deck stainless steel EMUs, my personal preference is for the corrugated Budd-design cars as opposed the the beaded Pullman-Standard types.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton