Ugliest Trains?

Guest keio6000

That's just a skid steer road rail tractor.

That thing skid steers?  Long wheelbase, narrow rubber treads on asphalt, heavy, etc.  I'm not saying I doubt you, but I'd think it would be pretty painful to watch.

No, they don't.

LOL.  But I don't know Mark, that one you posted (Waratah?) isn't that bad.  I mean, it's not the Talgo I, is it? :grin

TT470a2.jpg

Here is the other end of the Talgo Prototype. Now, where is my Vomit Bag?

I am 99% sure that no other train will beat the ugliness of the first Talgo.

Edited by DavideTreni
  • Like 2

I'd click the "Like This" button, but I fear that would give the wrong impression.

This train is in an ugliness class of its own, in my opinion.

• Like 1

No like a really bad movie this has come full circle to having that early sci fi look to it! I kind of like it!

Jeffi

Edited by cteno4

LOL.  But I don't know Mark, that one you posted (Waratah?) isn't that bad.  I mean, it's not the Talgo I, is it? :grin

Well, my dislike for the things isn't just based on their looks - which I don't care for at all. They're not very nice trains to work, and the specification and build quality leaves a lot to be desired. If I had any say in the matter we'd have kept these old girls instead:

3347054710_4e9651694c_b.jpg

Rugged and reliable, S-sets will always be my favourites.

Cheers,

Mark.

I personally find the Spraugue-Tompson trains from paris metro VERY ugly.

3848823332_343eaf35c4.jpg

Hmm... I think a nicer colour would largely improve their looks.

• Like 1

You're saying that outsourcing Australian train construction to China hasn't done the trick? Or is the build quality issue due to the work done on them in Aus?

Both, unfortunately.

As a watcher and passenger I'm a long time fan of the V sets

We used to have them on the Illawarra, but they were replaced by Oscars. I don't mind them at all. The ATP/DTRS trial train came down here a few weeks back and I got to pilot the crew on it because they weren't qualified to go past Helensburgh. That was fun.

Cheers,

Mark.

Kyoto Tango Railway (KTR) series 7000 DMU.

KTR700_%26_KTR800_diesel-railcar.jpg

Nothing too bad on these, except that they look like Polish locomotives.

Gallery_Thomas_07_L.JPG

HOLY MOTHER OF DIESEL ENGINES! this is the creepiest thing i've ever seen!

Edited by DavideTreni
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Judging by the after-action reports I've read from one railway I don't think the DMU groups are particularly fond of Thomas.

The face isn't so bad (you can't see it from inside, and it just lifts off at the end of the event), it's the food ground into the carpet, the rubbish everywhere, the fingerprints all over the windows, the damage caused by people dragging pushchairs into and out of the units...

HantuBlauLOL

Gallery_Thomas_07_L.JPG

HOLY MOTHER OF DIESEL ENGINES! this is the creepiest thing i've ever seen!

wtf those guys took creepiness into a whole new level

trainsforever8

home12.jpg

This is the new EMU for Genova's Metro. I just have no words.

Really? I think it looks nice. Although it's always disappointing when cities choose networks with such small vehicles as their metro instead of having real heavy trains. This would probably look nice as light rail.

It's actually really light rail, but you only see a single articulated car, not the whole train on the photo. Even russian light metro cars are articulated this way as it allows much smaller cross section tunnels or elevated sections in curves. It's predecessor was a tram line running with 2 axle streetcars.

Sometime my friends ask me why i don't like polish WKD EN94 EMUs.

Well, they look creepy.

EN94-08_b.jpg

*....Heeeeeee's staring at youuuuuuuuuuuuuu....*

And even more creepy...

Edited by Densha
  • Like 2

Looks kind of cute actually (in the first pic, of course).  Like a normal EMU with googly eyes pasted on.  

TheNicofabi

To be honest... the running one looks like its supprised about everything... lol

warnerj01

I've always found the very low Talgo coaches combined with the very high American diesels to be looking very strange, but this is something completely different. I have to agree with you that it is a winner.

Here's a video:

I had been disinterested in this subject until I inadvertently ran across this photo, and felt compelled to submit it.  I should think it's a hands-down winner.

What were they thinking?

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2013/10/amtrak_cascades_offers_tours_o.html

Being from Seattle, WA, I watched the evolution of the Amtrak Cascade Talgo train sets. Unfortunately these new Talgo car sets are one of those times when form was "thrown out the window" over functionality.