Ugliest Trains?

Guest keio6000

I think the case of the Nankai Rabid is unique design over functionality or harmony. The classic JNR fronts (113/115, kiha40/80, etc.) were about functionality that also looked good. The minialist design of the 101/103 series were also nice and simple. The JR Central 313 and JR East 231 series carried the old JNR style, while the JR East 233 series managed to bring something new while keeping the general good look of a train that looks like a train. The Nankai looks like a misguided Disney ride from the 1930ies. It achives the effect of being unique, but it doesn't look like a proper train, not to mention a proper japanese train. The unfortunately shaped side windows are also hard on the passengers, so it's not only the front but the sides are also ugly and non functional at the same time. Compared to this, the various non japanese mods listed above are only not so nice looking mods or repaints, but at least they left the basic concept of those trains intact.

The Odakyu on the other hand is just plain, like many joyful trains of that time, but it's predecessors and successors are better looking. The basic concept is good, but the design is boring. They are not real romancecars, just limited expresses. The half german ICE, half 7000 LSE inspired 50000 VSE on the other hand has both good looks and functionality. They are used for true romancecar (Super Hakone) service instead of the more commuter oriented 30000-s.

• Like 1

Romance on the Odakyū may be dead for most services, but the Super Hakone (VSE 50000 Series) seems to have excellent service. The driver personally introduces him-/herself to the passengers and it has very limited stops (Shinjuku - Odawara - Hakone Yūmoto). Although we have absolutely no need to ride this train, since we live on the centre of the Odawara line, I still want to take this train on the front seat with the kid.

Also, on the Nankai 50000: it's based on the original etches of the Jules Verne's illustrated Vingt mille lieues sous les mers: Tour du monde sous-marin. Very radical designs of that time (1871) and still by today's standards. Not everybody's piece of pie (I still can't decided if I like or dislike this train), but it certainly is an eye catcher!

I think the rapit has great harmony in its design. The lines flow very nicely and use excellent transitions. A lot of hand drawing was done to get that, not cad! Also it's one of those trains where the experience of being in person with it is totally different from 2d picture. Pictures come out flat and this is an object that is very 3d in its effect - it's got the gehery effect where it's more of of a 4d projection into 3d. Also the interior is beautifully designed and is one of the nicest transitions of exterior to interior of a vehicle I think I've ever experienced, there is the greatest harmony there I think I've ever seen in train design. The paint and finish of the real thing are also something to experience first had and fall flat in photos and models (hard to scale finish effects), a lot of attention was paid to just the right color (and if you have ever worked with a true colorist you will know how the slightest change can have a profound effect on something this large) and a deep clear coat that makes it feel wet, but not all glossy.

Jeff

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Nankai 50000, I don't like looking at the things, but I do like riding in them- the windows are oriented vertically, so you get a spacious feeling which is a nice contrast to the aluminum tube you will be flying in a couple of hours later...

EXE 30000? I thought that looked pretty nice, with its gold and red stripes and all... In fact, I find all the Romance cars nice, with the winner being the 50000 VSE that just screams futuristic..

The Nankai Rapit on the other hand screams of a different thing to me, like a sharp nose storm trooper trying to be Darth Vadar...  

One of the very few Japanese designs I find absolutely awful !

I don't know what it is known as, but to me,  it's the flying bread slicer !

Good thing these are computer renderings... I'm not sure if the real thing will be better or worse. The good thing is that I'm far away from it in any case xD

I just wonder how will they use the front facing balcony under any realistic speed without a windshield. They will be only accessible from the end rooms, so most passengers couldn't get to them. I think this is a highly braindead idea, unless they plan to go really slow.

ps (and slightly off): For a saner luxury cruise train, i would take the design of the 285 series, drop the front doors and most of the passenger doors over the bogies and make a top level side corridor across the whole train. Rooms would be either low level full width, accessible by stairs from the corridor or high level (longer, but narrower with windows on one side only). HVAC units would go above the bogies, below the corriodor level. The end cars would be double level too with rooms on the lower deck and lounge/bar/diner on the upper with a slightly lowered cab with transparent back for the driver and a 270 degree glass front . Power would be provided by a middle power unit, housing the prime mover, overhead transformer, head end power, kitchen and some of the motor bogies. (the two cars next to it would be in a cow-calf configuration with motor bogies only) This way both the front and the back would be accessible by every passenger and the largest suite could be a bi level one, occupying both decks of a single car. One of the cars could have a single large double sliding door on both sides in the middle with a nice ship like staircase (and maybe a small lift) leading up to the high level corridor on both sides from this central lobby. This could be one of the powered cars.

(example: control/bar/rooms,luxury rooms,rooms,rooms,lobby/staff/motor,kitchen/prime mover/motor,diner/pool/motor,rooms,rooms,full car suite,control/lounge/rooms  = 11 cars, with 3 powered cars and no motor in any sleeper cars)

I think I remeber reading the observation deck will only be used on the trailing end when in movement.

Jeff

For Japanese trains all Ken Okuyama designs are horrible ( Except the HB-E300 ).

I agree on the uglyness of the Nagoya Municipal Subway N1000,

I also don't like the Hokuso 7000 series, the Yokohama Municipal Subway 1000 series and the Osaka Municipal Subway 60 series.

Edit: four years on, i grew a liking towards the last three... how taste changes...

Edited by Socimi

For me, the ugliest Japanese are the early streamlining experiments: C53, C55 & EF55

The ugliest things on German rails are DB class 472 of the S-Bahn Hamburg

640px-S-Bahn_Hamburg_BR_472.jpg

And the one-off n-coach cab car prototype. It was even dubbed "Hässliches Entlein" (Ugly duckling)

BDnrzf740-3obsi.jpg

Edited by Suica

I also don't like the Hokuso 7000 series, the Yokohama Municipal Subway 1000 series and the Osaka Municipal Subway 60 series.

Hokuso 7000, I have two MicroAce models (both Hokusō Kaihatsu 8-car types, one reserved for a Chiba New Town 9000 type conversion) and the Yokohama Municipal Subway 1000 is on my want-list. Interestingly, the Osaka Municipal Subway 60 is there as well (not a too bad design IMHO). All are 18 meter type trains ran by companies that are largely funded and subsidised by public money. xD

Talking about the 103 Series, I think they looked much better with the older lower cabs. That huge expanse of slab front below the windscreens on the high cab versions just looks unbalanced to me.

As for the UK, we've had some weird-looking things and some where the designer evidently thought "stuff it, I'll just put a couple of big windows on the front, add some headlights and a headcode box, then it's beer o'clock"!

What's interesting is that different builders could turn out almost identical trains with a very different cab front. Look at the old Class 119 and Class 120 DMUs. Both were intended for medium-distance services and had two power cars flanking a trailer equipped with a buffet counter. The side views are virtually identical. But the 119 cab looks much better than the 120 cab IMO!

• Like 1

What i love of the 103 series is their minimalist design.

Here is something from italy, the new trainset for the Naples-Benevento line.

Photoshopping it won't help.

21590979552_269d399bc4_b.jpg

Oh man, that actually helps a lot! :toothy12:

I got inspired by Rome's Line B MB100 series

metro.jpg

Edited by DavideTreni
  • Like 2

Talking about the 103 Series, I think they looked much better with the older lower cabs. That huge expanse of slab front below the windscreens on the high cab versions just looks unbalanced to me.

As for the UK, we've had some weird-looking things and some where the designer evidently thought "stuff it, I'll just put a couple of big windows on the front, add some headlights and a headcode box, then it's beer o'clock"!

What's interesting is that different builders could turn out almost identical trains with a very different cab front. Look at the old Class 119 and Class 120 DMUs. Both were intended for medium-distance services and had two power cars flanking a trailer equipped with a buffet counter. The side views are virtually identical. But the 119 cab looks much better than the 120 cab IMO!

Speaking of British trains....the Class 91 was always interesting, as the front looks fine, but when it's leading a train with the back cab, yuck! Talk about ugly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Oh boy, that's some sad train. :(

Meet its nemesis, the Smile Train:

250px-Seibu_Railway_30000.jpg

Speaking of British trains....the Class 91 was always interesting, as the front looks fine, but when it's leading a train with the back cab, yuck! Talk about ugly.

A picture paints a thousand words:

220px-91115_at_Kings_Cross_4.jpg

• Like 1