Guest keio6000

Ugliest Diesel?

Ugliest Electric?

Ugliest Subway?

Ugliest JR?

Ugliest Private?

Ugliest Express?

Ugliest Loco?

Ugliest Livery on an otherwise decent train?

Ugliest shape?

Ugliest that has been turned into an N-scale mass produced model?

#1 Grand Ugly Champion?

Edited by keio6000

By diesel and electric, do you mean passenger MUs or locomotives?  So many of the electric locos look almost the same.

Is this about global trains or Japanese only? (since this topic is in the Japanese Rail News, etc. subforum and all).

Is this about global trains or Japanese only? (since this topic is in the Japanese Rail News, etc. subforum and all).

Yeah that's a good point.  For ugliest subway train, I'd say any rolling stock that has just one small window for the driver.  I know these exist in the US, not sure about elsewhere.

bikkuri bahn
Ugliest Subway in my opinion....  :tongue9:

You can thank Metro-Cammell for bringing their aesthetic to SE Asia and making it the de-facto standard there.

Actually they dont look too bad, just that the people operating the system makes them look bad...

A broken-down train stopping on the track will never look better than any moving train....

Ugliest train?  My vote's for the "fish lips" train, more correctly the "Resort Saloon Festa", a JR West "Joyful Train" DMU that operated from 1988 to 2001 out of Hiroshima.  I'm all for Japan's quirky sense of design, but this one just takes it too far for my taste.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/115-fish-lips-train/

Micro Ace did a model (long sold out), so it qualifies for ugliest model train too.

For more photos, see Japanese Wikipedia.

• Like 2
bikkuri bahn

Wasn't there a similar thread to this not too long ago? Very SSC-esque. Someone proposed the JNR gas turbine prototype as an ungainly candidate, I said I wanted to do great violence to the FRP nose of the Ikoma funicular.

Martijn Meerts
Ugliest train?  My vote's for the "fish lips" train, more correctly the "Resort Saloon Festa", a JR West "Joyful Train" DMU that operated from 1988 to 2001 out of Hiroshima.  I'm all for Japan's quirky sense of design, but this one just takes it too far for my taste.

Micro Ace did a model (long sold out), so it qualifies for ugliest model train too.

I guess I have 2 of the ugliest train then :)

MicroAce actually did 2 models, an old and a new version, which I both ordered at the time. But I really can't see the difference between the 2, so I ended up giving 1 to my father instead. I have to say though, I actually quite like the train, not the prettiest, but I wouldn't consider it ugly either.

Although it can still travel at 320km/h... I'm still wondering why the Japanese HST's have such long noses while European don't.

I read they won't be in service anytime soon because there are problems with the trains, I forgot what it was about.

I still can't remember the most ugliest trains I've seen until now...

Martijn Meerts

Japan has more tunnels on their high speed lines compared to most European countries running at 300+ km/h, and many of the tunnels are in residential area's .. Not a lot of fun getting tunnel boom every so often, and it can get really loud ;)

Oh but it's so lovable and unique. If only the lips moved like the real one.

This is the problem with this sort of question, beauty can be in the eye of the beholder!

Jeff

Since the 500 nose design has been driven for reducing the tunnel noise for residents and train riders. Later models are computer modeled and I'm sure most of the form all the form is driven for the minimum for the noise in aerodynamic simulations, not the look.

Jeff

For me, an ugly train is a train that isnt running .................. so I feel I wanna run my trains on a daily basis to get out of the ugly pool Lol!

Mardon

• Like 1
Since the 500 nose design has been driven for reducing the tunnel noise for residents and train riders. Later models are computer modeled and I'm sure most of the form all the form is driven for the minimum for the noise in aerodynamic simulations, not the look. Jeff

I think it's more than just that--it's also to reduce the aerodynamic drag to reduce the electrical load requirements, especially now with 700/N700/N700A trainsets reaching 270 to 300km/h on the Tokaidō and San'yō Shinkansen lines and E5/E6 trainsets planned for operation beyond 320 km/h on the Tōhoku Shinkansen line. 

Oh but it's so lovable and unique. If only the lips moved like the real one. This is the problem with this sort of question, beauty can be in the eye of the beholder! Jeff

Looks are all subjective so that means we can discuss about it.

I've always thought of some of the more unusual Japanese trains as wierd rather than ugly.

From my personal travels, despite being the home to some of the world's greatest artworks, I'll have to give the ugliest train prize to France for this monstrosity I saw in Lens on 02/07/08.

post-182-0-72682400-1371968434_thumb.jpg

• Like 1