soldering clips (flat nosed alligator clips)

cteno4

some very nice flat nosed alligator clips at radio shack of all places! i had a few of these from long ago i use when soldering small stuff where i want a good heat sink. copper does that well and flat jaws work well for smaller stuff (flat and small). just be careful not to solder onto the jaws!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161035543307?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

i was looking at them the other day and realized they would be nice for small part clamping for glueing as they are strong clamps and small and light. the tips are long enough you can also bend them into some interesting special shapes if needed.

turns out the radio shack price is about the best out there for these! $3 for ten with free us shipping.

jeff

Jeff - this reminds me of a story (not another one :confused3: ) I went to my local Radio Shack because I needed alligator clips for soldering....I asked the sales person where they were, he didn't know what alligator clips were or what they were used for. I found them and explained what uses they had. It wouldn't have been so bad but the sales person was the manager of the store.

Martijn Meerts

Bernard, I had an experience like that.. I went to a huge store where they sell tons of components such as LEDs and resistors, and even have the more expensive ($1000+ expensive) soldering stations and such.. And the guy didn't know what soldering flux was .. 

Anyway, those clips look interesting, might help with putting together World Kougei stuff.. The torch method I tried does work, but it's a bit rough, and it heats up too much of the surface. On small locomotives that means that parts of the shell you just soldered will just come loose again :)

It is sad as that's been my experience with them as well, all they want to sell you is a cell phone it seems... Growing up the guys that worked there were great in helping me learn new stuff with my little projects. I was going to just grab these at our local store, but part of why I ended up just ordering them off the ebay store is that this same sad thought of the blank look from the clerk if I asked where they were. Last trip there for some panel light covers got me the I don't think we carry anything like that. After a couple minutes of digging (now all electronic stuff is in a couple of chests of drawers) I found them and showed the clerk, all I got was a shrug back.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

My wife stitched two of these onto her apron.  She attach the hand towel so she can wipe her hands clean while baking.  Apron is saved.  Washing only of towel is required.