Kato Unitrack Crossover 20-210

Sushi Train

Sushi Train

I have a friend...yes, um, a friend who doesn't understand how it works, electrically speaking, can someone explain it so I, ah, he understands?

When setting up track, is there anything extra that's needed to use one? Thanks  :-[

post-147-13569922498351_thumb.jpg

Sushi Train

So, if track A is switched so train moves to track B and B is running in the opposite direction to A will B's direction be changed to the same as track A?  ???

post-147-13569922507837_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

So, if track A is switched so train moves to track B and B is running in the opposite direction to A will B's direction be changed to the same as track A?  ???

Nope! You have to switch polarities manually. There was a bit in a thread about this earlier, I'll see if I can dig it up later.

Sushi Train

Nope! You have to switch polarities manually. There was a bit in a thread about this earlier, I'll see if I can dig it up later.

so switching polarities manually requires an add-on made by Kato?

CaptOblivious

Well, yes. Except Kato doesn't make any such beast. Tomix does for their FineTrack line—a device that takes two throttles and swaps them around when you flip the switch, that can be physically connected to the cross-over switch. With the Kato, you have to figure out your own way, as near as I can tell—someone please please correct me if I'm wrong!

How many throttles do you have? How are they wired to your tracks? A lot depends on the answers to these questions.

Sushi Train

Well, yes. Except Kato doesn't make any such beast. Tomix does for their FineTrack line—a device that takes two throttles and swaps them around when you flip the switch, that can be physically connected to the cross-over switch. With the Kato, you have to figure out your own way, as near as I can tell—someone please please correct me if I'm wrong!

How many throttles do you have? How are they wired to your tracks? A lot depends on the answers to these questions.

Sounds like a pain when a turnout would suffice, I don't have anything set up as yet but wanted to research what was needed. So much for Uni-track being snap together easy. Thanks for your input.  :)

I use DCC and have the crossover as well, and did nothing special either when wiring it up.  Of course, since I use DCC, power routing isn't a necessity.  I would suppose the polarity issue is a problem if the crossover is to be used (for example) in the center of a single loop of track (mine just connects two parallel lines with similar polarities).

CaptOblivious

With DCC, crossovers aren't a problem. But if you a double-main, and have two DC throttles, one controlling each lane, it can be a real problem. I think Tomix's solution is clever, but I don't have any idea how you're supposed to solve this problem with Kato stuffs aside from having a switch to kill one throttle to prevent shorts.

Have a look through this thread:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,830.0.html