Enoden on the street and some

bill937ca

Including the Enoden 110/85 SKIP train and bus.

Enoden in the snow.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

Great videos, Bill.  I love that s-curve near Enoshima Station.  It would never work in the US; they'd catch a few cars, and pedestrians for that matter, per day.  That last one looks like a gem, I think I'll save it for tomorrow :)  There are so many movies and TV shows with footage at that crossing east of Kamakurakokomae Station (link 1), it must be some kind of law that they have to include that location :grin.  Looks like a great neighborhood.  I bet the rent is shocking.

The English Wikipedia page about the station mentions that an issue of a manga is set there (link 2).  It reminds of how much I wanted to like manga, but... couldn't :grin :grin.

If I'm reading the Japanese page correctly, this is a railway, not a tram, correct?  What is the specific operational aspect that determines this?

1. http://maps.google.co.jp/?ll=35.307134,139.502793&spn=0.001832,0.003036&t=m&z=19&brcurrent=3,0x60184f151da77f67:0x5426a5e1b387445d,1&layer=c&cbll=35.307207,139.502041&panoid=px5_2zcCIN3K60AJ8QRG1g&cbp=12,180.03,,0,-0.18

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slam_Dunk_%28manga%29

• Like 1
If I'm reading the Japanese page correctly, this is a railway, not a tram, correct?  What is the specific operational aspect that determines this?

Yes, Enoden is a railway.  What gives that away is the high platform stations.  I believe this is strictly a matter of licensing in Japan.  But tram lines are restricted to 40 K per hour and rolling stock must be less than 50 feet long. As a railway it has ATS, through ticketing (with Odakyu and perhaps JR),  and high platforms. I believe it operates on the street by special license from the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism. At one time Enoden was a tram line and operated single cars. Status changed from tram to railway in 1945. (Electric Railways of Japan, volume 1).

http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/enoshima_kamakura/

• Like 3
Nick_Burman
I believe it operates on the street by special license from the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism.

Bill, AFAIK the street section is considered an extra-long level crossing for legal purposes. Interestingly enough, Enoden motormen give no quarter to street traffic and sail though that section at track speed - drivers and pedestrians beware!

Cheers NB

• Like 3
Bill, AFAIK the street section is considered an extra-long level crossing for legal purposes. Interestingly enough, Enoden motormen give no quarter to street traffic and sail though that section at track speed - drivers and pedestrians beware!

You gotta love Enoden for that!

Uuuh... I'm considering cycling to Fujisawa and Enoshima again this week thanks to this thread, but the weather... It's too damn hot for such a thing!

Kamakurakōkōmae Station is arguably the most famous "small" railway station in Japan because of its very scenic location. Indeed, that station was seen more than once in the recent anime series Tari Tari (which will be coming out on home video in the USA in a couple of weeks on June 25, 2013) in addition to being a setting for innumerable TV series and movies. 

One thing that kind of surprised me was why Enoden didn't do a special livery on one of their trains to promote Tari Tari. After all, Keihan Electric Railway's Ishiyama Sakamoto Line has several trains in special liveries promoting anime series....

Edited by Sacto1985
One thing that kind of surprised me was why Enoden didn't a special livery on one of their trains to promote Tari Tari. After all, Keihan Electric Railway's Ishiyama Sakamoto Line has several trains in special liveries promoting anime series....

I think, Enoden doesn't need to do such advertising. This line is already so famous and used to its capacity (plus subsidised by the successful Odakyū Electric Railway) there is not much use for this. As for fans, I think they'd rather see the small fleet (of 15 trains) in standard liveries. Also, the first train ever to do something with the anime/manga culture is the recently introduced S.K.I.P. 'Manga Matsuri-gō' 1100 Type (snapped it here a few months ago: http://fav.me/d60chdx).

• Like 1
Nick_Burman
(plus subsidised by the successful Odakyū Electric Railway)

Is Enoden part of the Odakyu family?

Cheers NB

Is Enoden part of the Odakyu family?

Cheers NB

If the Wikipedia information is correct, Odakyū Electric Railway owns the line, since the Fujisawa Station (one end of the Enoden route) is also the terminus of many trains on the Odakyū Enoshima Line.

Odakyū owns Enoden, as well as the Hakone Tozan. There are always special offers from Odakyū in combination with these railways and standard day-trip tickets for less than the regular price. Very convenient.