[HO] Wheelsets for Hobby Model kits

Darklighter

Darklighter

Hi,

I'm looking for wheelsets for a Taki 43000 kit made by Hobby Model.
According to the assembly instructions I need wheels with a diameter of 10.5 mm and an axle length of 24.5 mm. This corresponds to 36" wheels with an axle length of 0.965". But where to get those?

Almost all wheelsets I've found so far have longer axles, with one exception: Reboxx makes 36" wheelsets with axle lengths of 0.960" and 0,970". Another option would be reaming the bogies...

Nick_Burman

Mark Newton used Steam Era Models wheelsets on his cars. They look nice.

Cheers NB

Darklighter

Thx for the tips! Hm, those Australian diesel locomotives look pretty cool...

Seeing those Australian shops I realized that I could search for "local" shops, too. And I found some alternatives:

http://www.das-service.de/modellbahn-radsatz/h0/radsaetze-h0-rp25/index.php (on ebay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/300914116952 )

http://www.luck-feinmechanik.de/

http://www.weinert-bauteile.de/shop.php?mode=deep_link&id=5F59195F3B08875F97D289BDE3661DBC

marknewton

As Nick says, I used SEM wheels, with 23.8mm axles and their Delrin bearings.

Cheers,

Mark.

A further question on this if I might?

Are the Steam Era 10.5mm/23.8mm axle wheels also applicable for the HobbyModel/Endo 4 wheelers? That dimension seems to approximate the distance between the "inner" metal axle holders, but I wated to check before ordering.

With thanks.

Cheers, Andrew

G'day Andrew,

The SEM 10.5mm/23.8mm wheelsets are what I've used on my Endo 4-wheel stock. I found that I had to bend the metal axle holders inwards slightly so that the axles were a good running fit. It's crude, but it works, and isn't noticeable from normal viewing angles!  :)

7218411076_0a51b5cf7c_z.jpg 7218410328_ab3db5247b_z.jpg

I haven't built any of my HobbyModel 4-wheelers yet, so I can't say with certainty what size of SEM axles will be best for these. The axle holders on these kits are of a different design to those on the Endo kits, there's four separate metal parts that attach to lugs moulded on the floor. I reckon it should be possible to adjust the spacing of these parts to accomodate the 23.8mm axles. 

Out of interest, which kits do you have?

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 2

G'day Mark,

Thank you again for the information and pictures, appreciated. Ok, have ordered the 23.8's and I think you're spot on re: bending them in a bit if they turn out too short. My rough measurement shows they will be close on the HobbyModel, will let you know.

I have three kits:

HobbyModel Tomu60000

Endo PRUS Tomu50000

Endo PRUS Tora55000

Cheers, Andrew 

Edited by Gora
  • Like 1

G'day Andrew,

This evening I started assembling my HobbyModel Tomu60000s. The SEM 23.8mm axles do fit once the metal axle holders are bent inwards slightly. I can't find my camera now - and it's late, so I'm not about to disturb the household looking for it!  :) - but I'll post a photo tomorrow.

It also looks as though you could leave the metal parts off entirely,  fit bearings to the plastic W-irons and use 26mm axles as well...

When you build your Tomu60000s, make sure you remove the mould parting line and draft angle on on part 1, the floor moulding, and part 2, the underframe moulding - including the recess where part 6 locates. Part 6 rotates on its pins to give the wagon 3-point suspension/compensation for better running. By removing the parting line and draft angle on part 2 you ensure that part 10, the hinges, sits squarely on the edge of part 2, which in turn ensures that the wagon sides sit vertically. 

I also found it was easier and neater to attach both of part 10 to part 2 before joining the underframe and floor together.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

G'day Mark,

I have been meaning to come back to you. I found the 23.8mm axles fitted the HobbyModel axle holders without modification, a better fit than the Endo PRUS that do need bending in a wee bit per your notes.

Thanks for the heads up on the moulding lines, I had picked up the need to remove them to free the mechanism, but subsequently put myself in the running for a Darwin Award by letting some of the glue seep into the rocking mechanism and siezing it on one of the wagons. It seems to run the same as the compensated one though!

I ordered Code 88 wheels which are a bit more sensitive to the vagaries of my layout (which typically has Code 110 wheels on it), but I'm prepared to wear that as they look nice and fine.

I need to garner myself some gloss black, and happy to post up some pictures of the completed models once done also if you or anyone else is interested.

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Gora
  • Like 1

G'day Andrew,

I'd be very interested to see some photos of your finished model - if it turns out as well as your other work I think we'll all be impressed.

Here's where I'm up to with mine:

9405314580_347f0efa2d_c.jpg

When I was placing the rocking mechanism I applied a small amount of LaBelle plastic-compatible oil to the pins, which I find stops any glue from bonding it to the underframe. I learnt that lesson the hard way!

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

G'day Mark,

A bit longer than expected. Here's one of the Endo PRUS Tomu 55000's and Hobbymodel Tomu 60000's:

2013+(54).JPG

2013+(48).JPG

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Gora

Worth the wait though Andrew, they're very nice indeed.

What make/brand of air brake hoses did you use?

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

G'day Mark,

Thank you, I am afraid my basic camera and lighting don't really work too well with JNR black.

I'm pretty sure the air hoses are Kerroby, availble frmo Casula Hobbies online:

HD0003 Air Hoses Straight (10) Pewter
http://www.casulahobbies.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4067

I have typically used brass hoses to date however at $3 for 10 of these I thought them worth a try. They are much weaker than the brass however providing they aren't bent too much they're Ok, and given hoses tend not to get contact once on the layout, they do the job. I think if the wagon is being manhandled alot it might be worthwhile choosing the brass instead.

I can't seem to load pictures to the site from here, however might put up some detail on a web page about the JNR modelling to date, such as it is, which isn't very much at all particularly compared to how much most parties here seem to have!

Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1

G'day Andrew,

Good to know the airhoses are available from Casula - it's effectively my local hobbyshop, just 25 minutes down the road from here. I'll have a look for them next time I'm there.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing your JNR modelling, and I reckon others would too.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement Mark. :)

Ok, I have put together a basic site covering what I have done to date, which is humbly presented to the forum given there is so little of it! Hopefully something of interest.

http://japanese-model-railway-ho-180-16.blogspot.com/

I am currently putting together the 2 Tora 55000's, this time (having learnt the hard way....) applying the press-decals before assembling, and as such unlike the other models to date I won't paint them. I have a suspiciion that with weathering & dullcote it might just work.

Cheers, Andrew

Folks;

I have to really compliment you guys. Fine modeling of the Tomu cars. Also posts have been very enlightening with respect to how to assemble the models. Thank you!

Regards

Jere Ingram

• Like 1

Thanks Jere for the kind words. :)  Happy to hear it's some help, just call out if there's anything else needed on these kits.

Cheers, Andrew

Mark / Andrew

If you guys every get to the San Francisco area. Look me up. I volunteer as an engineer at a local tourist railway and would love to give you a cab ride.

Regards

Jere Ingram

• Like 2

That's a very kind offer Jere, thank you!

I have ordered a few more JNR wagons, perhaps we need a seperate thread for "Modified/Kit built wagons " or such.

Cheers, Andrew

If you guys every get to the San Francisco area. Look me up. I volunteer as an engineer at a local tourist railway and would love to give you a cab ride.

That would be great Jere - what do you run?

Cheers,

Mark.

This evening I started assembling my HobbyModel Tomu60000s. The SEM 23.8mm axles do fit once the metal axle holders are bent inwards slightly.

Do you think 25.0mm axles would be a better fit?

Before ordering the 23.8mm axles I tried the 25mm, and found them too wide. It seemd better to bend in slightly to fit than have a tight axle as Mark had recommended. Hopefully some help.

Cheers, Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Do you use code 110 or code 88 profile wheelsets? I wonder how they run on Unitrack (I guess, the turnouts could be a problem).

EDIT: Oops, I just found the answer to this question in an earlier post (code 88 it is).

Edited by Darklighter