Thinking about an around-the-room shelf layout

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

Now that I am settled into my new place, I am beginning to think about layouts. I have an office, which is very nice—it's about 8'x12' (2.43m x 3.65m), and most of the space near the floor is taken up by desks, shelves, and lots of windows. I was thinking about doing a shelf layout up high, above all the fray, but it would have to be quite high indeed—about 7'  (2.14m) off the ground. Even I am not that tall! I worry that it would be hard to enjoy, being hard to view while sitting at my desk, or even standing. Anyone have opinions or experience with building layouts high up like that?

i guess you could wear a pair of stilts to play/work on the layout!

or could have the whole room sized oval lower on some pulleys to just above desk/shelf height! wouldnt be that bad at that size, but would require a large anchor bolt in each corner of the room. i guess a hunk of 2x4 could go at the top of the wall in the corner as there is usually a plate 2x4 at the top of the wall studs you could sink a couple of large screws into w/o doing much to the wall at all. then mount the pulleys to that. modules could be very light weight if you used styrene ultraboard (foamcore that has stryene faces, ultra light but ultra stiff and flat). just use 3/4" ultra board as the module base and face with wood veneer tape.

how about modules that store up on a high shelf but you can place along the tops of bookshelves, desks and such with a simple bolt together framework of a couple of 1x2 girders. maybe a U point to point.

if you could mount shelves to the wall above the modules then you could have lots of storage up high and have the modules up all the time at maybe 10" above desk height so that you can use the desk but rr would be at eye level sitting down. saw one chap with a modified ttrak layout in a small office that he had around the room on top of like 40" high book cases and his desk under a window with modules spanning the window floating on a board connected to bookshelf units on either side of the desk/window. very efficient use of a small space. he had some of the units standard ttrak he could take out and run with others and then special larger corners and a yard unit that were larger and non standard ttrak. nice combo.

you could do quite the automated point to point with your ee skills! modules seem the way to go in apartment living as you can work on them easily one at a time and move easily if you move. also the option of taking them out to show off at train shows and such. even living in our house now for almost 10 years and no plans on moving anytime here i still feel if i ever would to do a built in layout it would mean we would move for some reason or another! 

jeff

CaptOblivious

Maybe a Wupperton!

I don't want to do any fancy suspension systems, just hang some shelves. Nor magnetics. Nor fancy EE stuff. :D I thought about a point-to-point, but to be honest, I don't have the eye-level room to do it! Too many tall shelves and windows to work around! I might could do a point-to-point with two- to three-car consists, but I'd much rather do something longer! Maybe I am only dreaming, and this isn't really possible…

You can always mount the layout up there, add a small video camera and watch the trains on your computer monitor.   :)

• Like 2

How about one that stores up high, but is hung with counterweights on pullys so you can lower it for use?

CaptOblivious

Ken, an interesting idea, but perhaps more complicated than I am willing to take on :)

I think I will sit on this for a bit and see how I fell about it in a few weeks...

Oh come on captain, we want a rushed, bold, rash decisions (especially ones that lead to rashes)!

That visit to Berkeley hardware hobby shop basement yout your juices flowing! Nice having that around the corner!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

I have my work table located in a corner area where both the end side and the long side has walls. As an option for a small layout, I thought about the system similar to those foldable ironing boards or kitchen table foldouts. Just fold it out whenever you wanna use it.

If not on the wall, you can also use the back of the door.

Naturally, there would be a bulge depending on the tallest structure in your layout - but if its generally flat with no tall buildings or mountains then the thickness wont be as bad. You can either put a train poster or framed picture to lessen the obvious.

Everything on the layout would either be glued or bolted down and you have to store away the trains after every use, but the concept may work for you or anybody with space restrictions.

Mardon

31i6BQqC6JL_SY355__zpsb0c7e7d9.jpg

• Like 1

Dom - It's great that you have new space but I agree, sit on it awhile and see how you feel. Seven feet is awfully high to work on....my LHS has a G scale layout suspended from the ceiling with plexiglass as the base so people can see the train running from underneath.....but it is very limiting and you never see the top of the train. Also there is little you can do with scenery since it will be hard to see.....unless you are a member of the LA Lakers' basketball team. :)

Definitely take time to plan, and then sit on the plans for a month or so and look again with a critical eye.  Things that seemed like a good idea on first glance won't show their flaws until you're no longer caught up in creating them.

An empty room is a powerful incentive to fill it. Resistance is futile, uh, I mean is a good idea. :grin

Martijn Meerts

I've seen around the room layouts near the ceiling where they used mirrors at an angle, so that from regular standing/sitting height, you could see the layout quite well (although, mainly just a top-down view, but that can be adjusted by placing the mirrors at different angles..) It was a rather interesting concept really.

I had a small G scale layout around a room, and also tried HO around the room on a shelf. G worked best for viewing, N would be tough due to size. Everything needs to be along edge or it will not be seen, but most shelf layouts at that height are for train viewing only,not modeling.