Platforms for a (one-off) viaduct station

macdon

That's a nice looking station you have there Mardon! Looks great, and fantastic idea to use a pipe to represent it! Nothing amazes much like an 'unconventionally-shaped' station ~~

*Side note:  I could hear your dog in the background of the video... Seems your new hobby made it a feel a little neglected?

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

Its my wife's cocker spaniel - I gave it to her as a gift years ago. It really has a loud bark considering im 3 floors up in the attic and he's downstairs near the garage. It must've been the mailman or something he's barking at.

Hehehe - yeah, the station is a bit unconventional - I must've gotten the concept from tubed tunnels or something. But it really fits my concept of being able to attach and detach the layout quickly since its a floor layout. Many options for the facade too.

Mardon

Mardon,

theres a club in the area hear that is doing subway ttrak using split open pvc pipe like this. they run two tracks down it and rest it on little feet to keep it up right. going to be fun to see it completed! not sure what they are going to use for their corners though! 

jeff

lurkingknight

now there's an idea... pvc pipe for subway... lay the double or single track right in it....

Mardon,

theres a club in the area hear that is doing subway ttrak using split open pvc pipe like this. they run two tracks down it and rest it on little feet to keep it up right. going to be fun to see it completed! not sure what they are going to use for their corners though! 

jeff

they are doing double track and just put a piece of wood in there to support the track. they sawed out about 25% of the radius on the table saw (not a super safe situation!). it will be interesting to see when they have it running. i only saw a test section. forgot to ask about what they are doing on the corners!

jeff

Nice idea to use pipes and run subways! But.. what will happen if the train suddenly derails...

@ Mardon: Energetic dog you have! Bet the postman hates it... I'm really loving the facade.. Although it has a rather European feel to it like Densha mentioned, it does look nice with it's large windows and the clock did justice to the overall look of the facade ~~ 

Nice idea to use pipes and run subways! But.. what will happen if the train suddenly derails...

@ Mardon: Energetic dog you have! Bet the postman hates it... I'm really loving the facade.. Although it has a rather European feel to it like Densha mentioned, it does look nice with it's large windows and the clock did justice to the overall look of the facade ~~ 

Looks very European-ish to me.

You guys might be right - it does have that euro flair look, doesnt it?

No worries, the one thing good about the design concept is to have the option of varying facades to integrate.

Anyway, I did another station facade which I think would be more appropriate.

Mardon

IMG_1104_zpsed6e7961.jpg

Any chance Kato will be making a viaduct turnout sometime soon? Either that or make a custom, I guess.

Mardon

Not guessing soon, they seem very focused on the unitram right now. Would be nice! They now at least have the concrete tie 248s.

Jeff

Green Cactus Guy

Newbie here – well new to this forum and Japanese N scale that is.

I am in the process of designing my layout which will be pretty modest at 2.4 by 0.8  meters (approx 8’  by 2’ 8”) and as per the thread I am planning on a viaduct station.

I have the Kato viaduct station (23-125) but have decided I don’t want to go with the island platform suggested. Instead I want one sided platforms and so I am eyeing up whether I can do anything with Kato’s 23-120 flag stop one sided station (as is or bashed) or if it really will be a scratch-build effort.

I am a bit reticent on the scratch-build side as the custom elements of my plan are already piling up and the flag stop has some great detail in the under roof area (girders and support structures) which would be time consuming to replicate.

So to my question – does anyone have 23-120 (or the individual elements) and if so could you let me know what a couple of dimensions are:

Width of the platform ?

Length of the individual platform elements ?

Height of the rear wall from platform surface to roof attachment ?

Appreciate any help

Jon

Green Cactus Guy
Jon,

Ken's website might be able to help you:

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/PassengerPlatforms/

Mardon

Thanks for the heads up Mardon - I have seen other parts of Kens site but not noticed the amazing analysis on the station platforms. Sounding more like a scratch build now as 40ish mm per side is not going to be made to fit.

Cheers

Jon

Hey guys,

Anybody here got the Kato 23-411 station area road plates? Could you possibly scan/take a pic of the instruction manual where to position the accessories?

I recently bought the Kato 23-416 station area scenery detail parts but my roadways are custom but similar to the 23-411, however any diagrams I found on the net of the 23-411 seems to get hazy when I zoom in.

Any info will be appreciated - thanks!

Mardon

Have you seen this page?  It's not a diagram, but a fairly high-quality photo of the plate with accessories.

I actually have the station area road plates, but I can't seem to find the instruction sheet right now (my filing system leaves something to be desired, and I haven't put the accessories on the plate, so I'm sure both are packed away "somewhere safe"; I'll look some more tonight).

I've attached a copy of the diagram from HS that I enlarged with some sharpening, that was mostly readable on my screen, but the forum software has heavily compressed it, so it may not be as legible.  If there's something specific about it you want clarified, ask.

post-228-0-96367800-1378567362_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ken!

Yeah, I have the same HS file as well - and trying to follow the alpha numeric codes of the accessories based on the manual of the 23-416 station scenery details set againts the online manual of the 23-411 road plates is kinda confusing.

Since my road plates are custom, I dont have the accessory holes like the original - so I need to bore new ones. Naturally, I dont wanna bore holes where they shouldnt be or place a lamp post where a signal light should've been ..... LOL!

Do you have pics of yours?

I could possibly wing it based on product pics if nothing else.....

Mardon

I haven't installed my signs or poles (I can't even find them or the instructions, which is really annoying; I put them somewhere *really* safe).  I can take photos of the bare plates if you just want to see where the holes go, but there's nothing to show what goes in the holes.

Here are photos of the station area road plates.  All are from 23-411 except for the plate labeled p0, which is from the expansion set 23-412.

I realized after taking the photos that I'd swapped the short sides of p0 and p5.  The writing goes on p5, p0 is plain.

post-228-0-82697200-1378733462_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-52468900-1378733477_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-11703000-1378733488_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-72732900-1378733500_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-87845100-1378733514_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-38698700-1378733527_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ken.

Well, I got my road plate from the printers today. Its 7'(84") long by 10.5" wide. I was just after the roads but since they're charging me for the rectangular block anyway, I just told them to print the vacant spaces with grass. I could easily cut them out later if/when structures comes in - but for now, it looks more decent with grass than just a blank white space.

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/macdon2/IMG_1184_zpsa5cc8752.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/macdon2/IMG_1185_zpse226a2a0.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/macdon2/IMG_1186_zpsd12d49a2.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/macdon2/IMG_1187_zpsa6f38ca3.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/macdon2/IMG_1188_zpsb9c44f9d.jpg

So far, I have just started to place the (F) fences and (G) Guardrails. I lack a bit more of both since my roadways are longer than the original kato 23-411, but HS sells a separate pack for those - 23-213, so its a quick fix. Will just add more when the layout expands.

The roadway block was printed using an outdoor decal (waterproof) mounted on 1/8" sintra board.

Mardon

Mardon,

very nice! love printing roads, lets you play all you want! 

you can easily weather then with various makeups, chalks, weathering powders and such to make tire areas and oil areas easily. then just hit with some dull coat to fix and knock the gloss off the surface.

i take it this is the stretch in front of your station.

cheers

jeff

With this project going mostly the way of custom, I went ahead to use a spare double track viaduct straight section to make a turnout.......

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/macdon2/IMG_1189_zps53d17c21.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/macdon2/IMG_1190_zps2ecc5486.jpg

Thanks to Jeff, I am now using a MRC Tech4 Dual controller for the V13 double track viaduct oval. The back of the dual controller has a pair of AC accessory connections.......

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t515/macdon2/IMG_1191_zps5c90f3cf.jpg

Would I need a Kato 24-842 DC converter so I could use the kato blue turnout switches?

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003120

Mardon

• Like 1

Mardon,

Nicely done turnout.

Yep you need dc for the turnouts. You can also make a simple capacitor discharge circuit to fire the turnouts instead of the blue controllers.

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Thanks Jeff!

I got a few spares of the Kato turnout switches, so might as well use those.

Will be gearing up for another HS order, so making a list of what my other layouts will need.

Mardon