SCARM and Tomiisawa, the revanche

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

I'm back doodling track plans. First, about the software I'm using, it's called SCARM - http://www.scarm.info/index_en.html, it's created in Bulgaria (!), it's free, and unlike Anyrail, it has no number of pieces limitations to keep it free. It has libraries for most of the popular track brands (including Kato but not Tomix - maybe someone could contact the creator and work on a Tomix library for him? Non Japanese, a Tilling HO/HOm/Hoe mixed gauge library would be handy, and so would a Micro-Engineering On30 one) which are reasonably up-to-date (the Kato library doesn't contain the bridges and viaducts, but there is a way inside the software to get around this). More importantly, it has a basic 3-D feature, which allows you to see what you've drawn - and more importantly, allows you to draw buildings so you can gauge how they'll look like. The software can be finicky to operate at times and it lacks a few commands which would be useful (like part rotation or track offsetting), but one can develop ways around this. I've learnt how to draw in it in about 10 minutes and I'm quite happy with it.

Now, for the layout...Tomiisawa, terminus of the Tomiiden, again, this time drawn to Australian T-Trak standards (or sort of). The two long modules are Triple Size T-Track, the corner one is a large corner module, but with the tracks pushed towards the outside. Since I live in Brazil, and there is no T-Trak activity here (this is my home layout anyway), this isn't much of a problem. The modules were created so they can be used with or without the corner. Track is PECO 55, spaced at 33mm centers to match Kato Unitrack and T-Track specs (frankly, is there any advantage in doing this or can I narrow it to the Peco's 26.5mm distance?)

I still have to do the 3D modelling for the plans, so I haven't laid out what goes where. However, arriving at Tomiisawa station from the outside world (top module from the left), a train would hit the entrance to the station runaround track, taking the left track so as to be able to stop at the station (further on); on the left, there would be the car barn, with its shunting neck and the wash/inspection track (last track to the left and a personal bone of contention in all versions, as it will take 12 and 15m cars but won't take a Hokutetsu "Shirasagi" set...maybe I'll have to stable it at Hatoyama - the JNR when it pays a visit to the Tomiiden). There is no station here, but the will be a short (door only) staff platform. On the right is Tomiisawa goods yard. I'm thinking of calling the area "Tomiisawa Minami-ku". Moving on, the train makes a left-hand curve, skirting the edge of town and arrives at Tomiisawa proper ("Tomiisawa Ekimae"). The station building is at the top of the module, near the crossover; at the bottom the passing siding tapers down to one track (an arrangement inspired by Akechi station), long enough to hold a small electric loco for a run around move (the motor cars will have to shove their trailers back to Tomiisawa Minami-ku and perform the run around move from there). On the left there is the siding for the local fruit-grower's co-op, source of much traffic for the Tomiiden. Most variations happen at this end:

• 3.2.1. sees the co-op siding doubled;
  • 3.2.2. the co-op siding is simple but there is a pocket track at the end of the platform. The function of this track is to hold a carload of LCL or stable a (short, 15m maximum) motor car waiting to be attached onto a longer train or permit a 3-car train of longer stock to load with all doors at the platform;
  • 3.2.3. same as 3.2.1. with pocket track.

Further variations are being thought:

• Shoving the car barn to the very end of the track at Tomiisawa Ekimae;
  • removing the passing track along the corner module - Tomiisawa Minami-ku would then get it's own passing track, with wider spacing and a platform in the middle.

Comments and ideas please!

Cheers NB

post-283-0-69612500-1368884898_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-77210200-1368885107_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-36794100-1368885123_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-38867000-1368885141_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nick_Burman
Ochanomizu

Hello,

I have never heard of this product, but I just check the link you provide.  It claims to include Tomix track.  There was a new version released on 16/05/2013.  Can you confirm if Tomix track is included?

• Like 1
Nick_Burman
Hello,

I have never heard of this product, but I just check the link you provide.  It claims to include Tomix track.  There was a new version released on 16/05/2013.  Can you confirm if Tomix track is included?

Ocha, the guy must be a mind reader...indeed, a Tomix library has just been included. Like the Kato one, it doesn't include bridges and viaducts but that is something one can bypass in the software itself.

Layout designers, warm up your engines!

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

Another 3 variations of the theme. I did similar track plans in Anyrail sometime ago and someone called them "sexy"... :grin I hope I can mantain that "sexyness", now that I've converted them to T-Trak specs.
This time I've transferred thee car barn to the end of the line. I tried to do the same in the curved version, however I couldn't shoehorn the station (Kato Rural Station - the black blob on the plans, with one or two platforms added) next to the car barn. The only place it would go without any problems was where the car barn was in the first versions. The resulting distance between the two buildings looked rather unprototypical, so I eliminated the curved module. Again the benchwork consist of two T-Track triple-size modules. Another varion on the thememe would see have seen the straight track next to the barn eliminated and the sidings at the fruit-growers co-op pushed against the back (the building would be just a set of low-relief flats), leaving space for some village buildings. Any suggestions or ideas?

Cheers NB

post-283-0-54956000-1369144409_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-94103100-1369144415_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-96657200-1369144422_thumb.jpg

Nick_Burman

Oh yes, forgot to add...with the Tomix library, this software has become a serious alternative to Anyrail...without the 50 piece limit!

Cheers NB

the_weird_one

I had a play wiht this and for things like fixed track I think its a serious alternative to AnyRail, but if your using flex AnyRail still wins for me on the ease to use levels

Ochanomizu

Hello Mr Nick,

I have purchased Anyrail some time ago.  Now I download the SCARM.  It is so easy to use, but I only play five minutes.  Thank you for introduction.

Nick_Burman
Hello Mr Nick,

I have purchased Anyrail some time ago.  Now I download the SCARM.  It is so easy to use, but I only play five minutes.  Thank you for introduction.

You're welcome. Just remember that's a freebie, and like most freebies it has its glitches. The last release has its fair crop... :(

Cheers NB