tantousha

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which trains should I get?

• 0-2000 series Shinkansen
    • E655 'The Emperor's Train'
    • 489 series
    • 883 series (Sonic)
    • E233 series (Chuo Line)

The bigger question can be which trains are available at dealers or for reservation.  Many trains sell out within six months of release and some are fully subscribed before release.

These are all in stock with the supplier I've chosen (Fmodels)... There are more I want but they're not in stock currently.

I already have the N700 series so I think the 0 series would be a nice second addition to my Shinkansen collection.

The Chuo line and 883 Series Sonic are both trains I have ridden on personally during my time in Japan.

...and the 489 Series and E655 series are ones that I just think look cool....

Decisions...

@ tantousha:

Tax returns? Nice!

Well, like the others have said, it's really your choice. I think there are several facotors for train purchases:

1) Some collectors buy train on whether they appeal to them

2) Some buy trains they have actually rode on

3) Some buy trains in themes; i.e. local trains, trams, shinkansens, express etc.

4) Some buy trains to fit into regions; shikoku, central, west, hokkaido etc. to replicate actual scenerios

5) Some buy trains just because they are cheap (I know i did! I'm a victim...)

6) Some buy trains that appeal to their partners (I know the Micro Ace Doremon train sold very well for a reason)

7) Some buy other trains that are somewhat alike to the trains that are no longer available for purchases...

8) Many other reasons ...

So this is really more of a personal choice. While others may input their valuable opinions, the final decision to purchase which train model lies entirely on your choice and feeling... For myself, using only your choices, i would choose E655 Emperor's train as i do not have a slick dark coloured train yet ~ 

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

I just got my HS notification that the E655 is back in stock. I was all about this train when it was first released but it sold out with pre-orders only. Now that I've recently acquired a bunch of other trains and have more on order, it's no longer a priority. You should buy it instead!

• Like 1

I vote for 0-2000 Shinkansen.  It is the train that made history.  It is the train for which Japan is famous.  How can one justify collecting Japanese trains without owning a 0-2000 Shinkansen?

I vote for 0-2000 Shinkansen.  It is the train that made history.  It is the train for which Japan is famous.  How can one justify collecting Japanese trains without owning a 0-2000 Shinkansen?

I don't have a 0-2000.  I've only got one Shinkansen and that one isn't it.  I'm not that much of a Shinkansen fan, to be honest.  I much prefer loco hauled services myself.

Anyway, I've voted E655.  Truly an awesome train.  I was in Akihabara the week after it was originally released and it was completely sold out at the 8 different shops that I went to. 

I totally agree with JR500 のぞみ, it's up your own decision.

I'm concentrating on both (JR) Shikoku and the Keihan Otsu line, because I like prototypical situations.

I only have two trains that are not from these areas, and soon one will be added to it but that's just because I absolutely love that train.

Thanks for all your comments. Because I agree that the E655 is such a beauty I decided to purchase it, I also threw in the 883 Series Sonic for good measure.... I've had the privilege of riding it from Kokura to Hakata many times and while I prefer the white soic 885 series, it just wasn't in stock.

Japanese trains, especially Kato, get often re-runs after some years. That Kyushu train looks like a popular train so maybe they will release the 885 again sometime too.

Every time I run my E655 at a train show there are lots of comments about what a nice looking train it is. I want to try and limit my purchases to late steam/early diesel era (1960's/70's) but Kato keep bringing out things like the E655.

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange
I'm not that much of a Shinkansen fan, to be honest.

The same. I find HSR "cold" for some reason. While absolutely giving credit to the Japanese for kicking off the modern high speed rail era, the fact is that superfast sleek trains in some combination of white and blue, gray and blue, white and gray... I mean everyone does that now. Also for some reason operating 1:160 Shinkansens on the same track as 1:150 models "bugs" me in a way that, say, operating 1067mm and 1435mm prototypes on the same track doesn't. I think it's just that a Shinkansen looks so out of place on the windy, tight-quarters rail lines I find intriguing (prototypical mini-shinkansen operations notwithstanding).

Edited by Mudkip Orange
  • Like 1

I totally agree with you Mudkip, I also prefer watching N scale Shinkansen when it's really on a separate viaduct/slab track. But as you already say yourself the mini-shinkansen can fit on a traditional layout although there's still the gauge/scale thing. It would have been much better if the Japanese manufacturers actually went with Z gauge for the 1067mm models, but they haven't so...

Still, I really like the Shinkansen, but the trains are much too long for my limited space and my focus are the 'traditional' trains too.

And since when are JR Central's blue/gray/white liveries the only ones? Just look at all the colourful JR East shinkansen.

Mudkip Orange
And since when are JR Central's blue/gray/white liveries the only ones? Just look at all the colourful JR East shinkansen.

Indeed, I have been tempted by the E5 and its kawaii mascot. However I would absolutely feel compelled to add a separate slab track loop to run it on.

I agree with you Mudkip, I rarely run the few Shinkansen I do have because they look so out of place to me running on a 'normal' railway. I mainly have them for sentimental reasons because I have ridden them.

Hi tantousha:

The E655 is in stock now at HS: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10198617

And it immediately climbed to 3rd place in the Best Sellers section! It's like hotcakes! I think if you're really keen on ordering this better get it quick before it runs out of stock again ~

It's really a very nice slick train ~

On another note, i'm running four lines, 2 for local/ express trains on the ground level and 2 viaduct level for shinkansens, so i'm running a mixture... Shinkansens are the symbol of Japan, and it always catches viewer's eyes... Yes they're very long and one would require a super long layout to run all 16 car trains, but actually 8 car trains look very good by themselves, which is what my layout restricted me to. Well alot of Kodama services are 8-car trains, and some full configration train sets like the N700-8000 West Japan, E4 Max and 700-7000 Hikari Rail Star so it's not prototypically wrong to run 8-car trains...There are then 6-car train sets like the E3-Komachi, 800 series Tsubame, 100 series Kodama Fresh-Green etc and 7-car sets like E3-Tsubasa, 400 series etc.. It's kinda like a trade-off as i don't have the luxury of a large layout...

Interesting development of thread.  I did not know Mr Tantousha wishes to run model on standard layout.  My decision was based on his question: Which one should I get?  That is all.

My answer remains unchanged - 0-2000 shinkansan.  It is Japan like Big Ben is England.

• Like 1

This has become an interesting debate about running local and shinkansen trains on different layouts. It's a debate I haven't really come across on these boards before.

I currently run a Kato V14 double track loop when I run trains (a permanent layout is a distant dream for now). I'm planning on getting the viaduct loop (V13?) so I can run Shinkansen alongside local trains. For now I just swap out running either local trains or Shinkansen.

1) applies to me....so I would say get them all.

@ tantousha:

Tax returns? Nice!

Well, like the others have said, it's really your choice. I think there are several facotors for train purchases:

1) Some collectors buy train on whether they appeal to them

2) Some buy trains they have actually rode on

3) Some buy trains in themes; i.e. local trains, trams, shinkansens, express etc.

4) Some buy trains to fit into regions; shikoku, central, west, hokkaido etc. to replicate actual scenerios

5) Some buy trains just because they are cheap (I know i did! I'm a victim...)

6) Some buy trains that appeal to their partners (I know the Micro Ace Doremon train sold very well for a reason)

7) Some buy other trains that are somewhat alike to the trains that are no longer available for purchases...

8) Many other reasons ...

So this is really more of a personal choice. While others may input their valuable opinions, the final decision to purchase which train model lies entirely on your choice and feeling... For myself, using only your choices, i would choose E655 Emperor's train as i do not have a slick dark coloured train yet ~ 

Spaceman Spiff

I agree with Ochanomizu, the 0-2000 series is the flag ship of the fleet.  Its the first Japanese train I bought. I also have two 883 (blue & yellow) so it would be my second choice.

Spiff

• Like 1

@Bigdog It's been more than 10 years the last message was posted in this topic. Please consider the date of the last messages when posting, the original poster is likely not looking for any answers anymore and hasn't visited the forum since 2020. This revival was not necessary 🙂