"Bonnets"

marknewton

I've become rather interested in the Limited Express EMUs of series 151/181/485/489. I'm thinking of getting some of the Tomix models, so I'd like to know what the differences are between the various series. I can see minor detail differences in couplers, vents and liveries, but is there more?

Cheers,

Mark.

bikkuri bahn

Welcome to the world of JNR rolling stock and their subtle and numerous differences within model ranges.  I admit to have only superficial knowledge of the various marks.  Here is a summary:

151 series- the original bonnet style ltd. express type, first used on Kodama services between Tokyo and Osaka/Kobe, shrinking the travel time between those two metro regions to 6 hrs.30 min.

181 series- upgrade based on 151 series, most notably an increase in power with replacement of 100kW MT46 traction motors with 120kW MT54 types.  This enabled the 181 series to climb the Senohachi grade on the Sanyo Line without helper locomotives, and achieve an equilibrium rate at 1% grade @120km/h.

485 series-  dual current (DC/AC) types, introduced with the AC electrification of the upper reaches of the Tohoku Main Line, as well as lines in Kyushu and Hokuriku regions.

489 series- variation of the 485 series intended for service on the Shinetsu Line, with jumper cable installation to enable operation with EF63 locomotives on the Usui Pass.

• Like 1

Interestingly, 485's are still running on a number of JR Lines, though I think they are starting to be retired at a faster clip unless it has been converted to Joyful Train excursion trainsets.

Thanks bb, I'll be away for a few days, but I'll follow up on this when I get back.

All the best,

Mark.

I have a 181 series, but from Kato, named Shioji or Hato. That's the story:

"it's a powered-up version of the earlier modern express trains, series 151 and 161. The Series 181 was first operated as "Kodama" on Tokaido Mainline. But when the Tokaido Shinkansen bullet train wider-track line was laid in 1964 alongside the conventional line, making the conventional express obsolete there, the conventional line 181 express train started its second life as the express "Shioji (Strand)" and "Hato (Pigeon)" on the conventional Sanyo Mainline in Western Japan; where no Shinkansen line was yet laid. The express train with a pilot car Kuroha, equipped with a luxury compartment following the cabin, attracted many fans with its elegance."

More info in: http://clubncaldes.blogspot.com.es/2011/11/jr-series-181-shioji.html

71040shiojikuro181.jpg

Tc481hato-osaka680830.jpg

• Like 2
bronzeonion

I'm not sure if there are any bonnet type 485 series trains left but there are still quite a few of the more typical Limited Express high cab type with flat front types left.

bikkuri bahn
I'm not sure if there are any bonnet type 485 series trains left but there are still quite a few of the more typical Limited Express high cab type with flat front types left.

Unfortunately, there are no longer any 489's of the bonnet type in operation- there is a preserved unit at the Kanazawa depot.  I was fortunate to ride the 489 on the last year of the overnight express Noto between Ueno and Kanazawa- I splurged on a green car ticket, I remember the car had a wheel flat.  I also saw a bonnet unit on a chartered service arriving at Kyoto Station the same year.

bronzeonion
Unfortunately, there are no longer any 489's of the bonnet type in operation- there is a preserved unit at the Kanazawa depot.  I was fortunate to ride the 489 on the last year of the overnight express Noto between Ueno and Kanazawa- I splurged on a green car ticket, I remember the car had a wheel flat.  I also saw a bonnet unit on a chartered service arriving at Kyoto Station the same year.

There are no bonnet types left at all now? Damn that's a shame. When you say preserved unit, that isn't just one car is it? Wheelflat on an overnighter, ouch! Talk about bad luck.

bronzeonion
I believe the 489 unit at Kanazawa is a complete trainset.

Interesting, I wonder if it still has the ability to run on the mainline?

Do Japanese actually preserve trains in running condition? Except for steam engines which they do of course...

Here in the Netherlands we try to preserve at least one of each train series, most are in good condition and are being used for regular services on for example a main line route connecting via a branch line to the national railway museum. The oldest train running is from 1924.

bronzeonion
Do Japanese actually preserve trains in running condition? Except for steam engines which they do of course...

Here in the Netherlands we try to preserve at least one of each train series, most are in good condition and are being used for regular services on for example a main line route connecting via a branch line to the national railway museum. The oldest train running is from 1924.

I dont know whether the 183 series kept at Omiya and a 115 series in Shonan colours also kept at Omiya count. They seem to get use on special charter services.

bikkuri bahn

In general older types after retirement from general service are either (for commuter types) sold to smaller railways or scrapped, while the limited express types are either scrapped or a few kept for service on rinji services for a few more years, until newer stock cascades or spares run out.  An example of the latter is the 583 series kept by JR East (one six car set remaining, I think).  I think really old types are not kept in running condition but merely preserved as the maintenance cost outweighs any benefit from touristic promotion, especially compared to steam.

There are likely some private railways that keep some real antiques in running condition, as the maintenance staff probably has more leeway in cost control, as well as a desire to promote the local economy through tourism.

• Like 2
I think really old types are not kept in running condition but merely preserved as the maintenance cost outweighs any benefit from touristic promotion...

No doubt that is true, and I suspect keeping crews qualified on withdrawn traction is an issue as well.

Cheers,

Mark.

Welcome to the world of JNR rolling stock and their subtle and numerous differences within model ranges.  I admit to have only superficial knowledge of the various marks.  Here is a summary:..

That's great, bb, thanks!,

Cheers,

Mark.

I have a 181 series, but from Kato, named Shioji or Hato. That's the story:

Nice photos, Dani, thanks!

I suppose I should have made it more obvious that I'm interested in the HO scale models from Tomix, but if Kato did one in HO as well I'd happily buy theirs.

All the best,

Mark.