1. 1. What's your densha otaku thing?

• sharyotetsu (obsessed with vehicles)
    • noritetsu (like to ride)
    • rosen kenkyu (study lines)
    • toritetsu (take pictures)
    • mokeitetsu (build models)
    • shushutetsu (collect goods)
    • ototetsu (record sounds)
    • ekibentetsu (like station box lunches)
    • jikokuhyoutetsu (analyze schedules)
    • ekitetsu (like stations)
    • soshikitetsu (memorializing retired trains and lines

CaptOblivious

yum, ekiben…so hungry

I suppose that since I'm building a model of Akihabara Station, with sound, that that qualifies me for at least three of those in one go. Worse yet, I'll be using it for a bit of model railfanning, which means photographs of model trains. If I add an oden stand, and an accurate timetable of operations, I might be able to grab much of the rest of the list, too :D

Sushi Train

sharyotetsu (obsessed with vehicles)

noritetsu (like to ride)

toritetsu (take pictures)

mokeitetsu (build models)

ekibentetsu (like station box lunches)

ekitetsu (like stations)

CaptOblivious

I have a street map of central Tokyo—which includes train lines—on the wall of my cube; below that is a schematic map of all the rail lines in central Tokyo. I could spend far too much time tracing the various lines, and looking up interesting features in Google maps. I found a freight depot I want someday to model doing this…

Sushi Train

sharyotetsu (obsessed with vehicles)

noritetsu (like to ride)

ekitetsu (like stations)

Here's the link to that story......

http://metropolis.co.jp/tokyo/recent/pop.asp

I psoted the article and link in another thread prior to posting the poll.

sorry, I missed it  :-[

FWIW, I've never been to Japan, but I would probably qualify for:

noritetsu (like to ride)

ekitetsu (like stations)

and maybe ototetsu (record sounds) if I had the equipment--but I probably wouldn't use it just for rail sounds, so that might not be serious enough.  :)

Some of the other ones sound too much like work.  :-\

I have a street map of central Tokyo—which includes train lines—on the wall of my cube; below that is a schematic map of all the rail lines in central Tokyo. I could spend far too much time tracing the various lines, and looking up interesting features in Google maps. I found a freight depot I want someday to model doing this…

I'd like a 3-D holographic map with actual topography tied in with GoogleEarth.

alpineaustralia

Based on the results so far.. we are a bunch of model makers that like photography, bento boxes and taking trains rides.

That just aboput sums it up for me.

CaptOblivious

I suppose, Alpine that this is the norm for Western railroaders. We all know the Japanese otaku take things up a few notches.  :o

:D While I think it's true we all like the things on the list, I wonder how many of us actually sink to otaku level on any of those items…except maybe modeling…

I'd love to sink to otaku level on actually riding trains, but with nothing but two long-distance Amtrak trains per day to work with,  it's not going to happen where I live.

I'd qualify for these categories : noritetsu, toritetsu, mokeitetsu & shushutetsu. But there's one missing. What's the term for an otaku who restores operates and maintains old trains and trams? Is there one?

Cheers,

Mark.

CaptOblivious

I'd qualify for these categories : noritetsu, toritetsu, mokeitetsu & shushutetsu. But there's one missing. What's the term for an otaku who restores operates and maintains old trains and trams? Is there one?

Cheers,

Mark.

Congratulations, you win! :D

Oh, I didn't realise it was a competition - what's the prize?  :D

Seriously, I 'm always amused by the mainstream media when they attempt to categorise or define railfans/enthusiasts. They never seem to "get it" in my experience, and they always overlook some important aspect, such as this article has.

All the best,

Mark.

Oh, I didn't realise it was a competition - what's the prize?  :D

Seriously, I 'm always amused by the mainstream media when they attempt to categorise or define railfans/enthusiasts. They never seem to "get it" in my experience, and they always overlook some important aspect, such as this article has.

All the best,

Mark.

The prize is another poll.

bikkuri bahn

Mainly noritetsu and toritetsu.  The joy of railfanning in Japan is being able to have a (potentially) relaxing train ride to your favorite railfan hotspot.  Gawd, I hate to drive, and "train chasing" is not my cup of tea for that reason.

I agree, I hate chasing. If I railfan I camp out in one spot all day. I set up "base camp" at a good spot which usually includes a folding chair and table. the chair has an umbrella and I sit back and watch all day. If there's a group of people we chill with cold pop and tail gate. (I won't let them have beer around the tracks)

bikkuri bahn

I agree, I hate chasing. If I railfan I camp out in one spot all day. I set up "base camp" at a good spot which usually includes a folding chair and table. the chair has an umbrella and I sit back and watch all day. If there's a group of people we chill with cold pop and tail gate. (I won't let them have beer around the tracks)

Yes, its been years since I last did some railfanning in the States, but that's how I did it- pick a spot, and "glue" by butt there.  Spent many a relaxing afternoon at Fullerton station (SoCal) watching the Amtrak trains and AT&SF Warbonnets pass through.

Voted for:

sharyotetsu (obsessed with vehicles) - Not so much, but I do like to know some basic data on every interesting train;

rosen kenkyu (study lines) - Very much! I like to know where certain lines go to, how they connect to other lines, how the track layout is like, etc.

toritetsu (take pictures) - I finally have a mobile phone with a good camera, so now I can finally take some decent pictures.

mokeitetsu (build models) - Too much of my budget is wasted on this...

ototetsu (record sounds) - Without sound there is no emotion. I've been hanging around railway lines as a kid recording trains with a walkman...

Didn't vote for:

noritetsu (like to ride) - I like to ride short trips, but long trips get frustrating. I'd rather watch 'em go by.

shushutetsu (collect goods) -  Good space would be wasted on non-functional stuff... Not so much, unless good memories are a part of the object.

ekibentetsu (like station box lunches) - I love to eat and I love regional products anywhere in the world, but I wouldn't start to write and contemplate about it.

jikokuhyoutetsu (analyze schedules) - If they run on time and have good connections it's fine by me.

ekitetsu (like stations) - Passing trains are more interesting to see. Stations are more interesting to operate in model.

soshikitetsu (memorializing retired trains and lines) - I need something that works. Not something that doesn't.

As you can see, I don't have much of a standard philosophy about our hobby, but then, is there a standard?