[2013/3/15] 200系 Shinkansen Retired From Active Service [JR East]

Today, after 31 years of service, the 200系 was finally retired from active service.

As the last of the three J.N.R. designed Shinkansen types to retire, she marks the end of a 49 year road, a remarkable road to be sure.

Built specifically for the Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen, she was designed to cope with the harsh winter climate this region offered.

The first 6 car prototype, 962形, was delivered in late 1978, followed by a second 6 car formation shortly after. Both formations would end up as JR East 'DR Yellow' formations (S1 and S2) retired in 2001 and 2002 respectively.

In October 1980 the first production formations where delivered. With a max speed of 210 km/h those first cars where designated 200系0番台, and where numbered into 12 car E formations (E1~E36). In July 1982, around a month after the opening of the Tōhoku Shinkansen, the last E formation (E36) was delivered to J.N.R.

In March 1983 the first of an improved 200系 version, the 200系1000番台 was introduced. Introducing a 25Kv roof cable to the design (thus allowing the number of raised pantographs to be reduced from 6 to 4 (and to 2 in the 90's)) , enabled the 1000番台 to reach it's design service speed of 240km/h. the 200系1000番台 cars where originally to be placed into E formations (E37~E39), though it was decided they would be numbered into new sub formations, the F formations (F1~F3).

In June 1984 another, sub type was introduced, the 200系1500番台. The 1500番台 added an extra row of seats (5 seats in total) and upped the capacity of a 222形 from 55 on the 0番台 and 1000番台 to 60 for the 1500番台 (221形 seated 50 vs 45 on the 0/1000番台), the 1500番台 was only built in 221/222形 form (the rest of the cars where still 1000番台, so all formations where 1500/1000番台 mixes). They where kept in the F formation hierarchy, and where numbered F4~F21.

The last 200系 Formation, Formation F21, was delivered to J.N.R.  on the 4th of April 1985, marking the end of (regular) production after 688 cars had been built, divided over 57 twelve car formations.

The first change in the formations came as early as 1985. When the Ōmiya-Ueno section of the Tōhoku Shinkansen was completed, on the 14th of March, J.N.R. Raised the  max speed on the Tōhoku and Jōetsu Shinkansen to 240km/h, marking the first rise in service speed, since the beginning of the Shinkansen. As the thirty-Six 0番台 E formations provided the bulk of 200系 formations, it was decided to upgrade 22 of them to 1000番台 standards. As, apart from the 25Kv roof cable, both types where identical, it was a simple matter of placing those. These formations, among them formation E1 the first formation, where re administrated into the F formations (F30~F43, F51~F59).

At the end of J.N.R. Era, two new 221/222形 combo's where built, they where however equipped with a 'Shark Nose' similar to the 100系 which had just been introduced on the Western Shinkansen at that point. They where numbered as 200系2000番台 cars, and where used to form formations F58 and F52 respectively.

In April 1987, with J.N.R. dissolved into the JR group, ownership of the 200系 fleet was transferred to JR East. This period also marks the first shift in formations for the 200系.

With the rescheduling of 22 E formations from 1985 on, there where still 14 E formations left. In 1987 JR East began reforming them, first in 10 car formations, later reduced to 8 cars, this would be the G formations (G20~G48), some cars coming from F formations, as opposed to E formations.

The remaining surplus E formation cars, where used to form 6 new formations, but that's another story....

In November 1989, JR East started to modify 4 F formation (F54, F59, F14 and F16), they where modified to make use of a phenomenon on the Jōetsu Shinkansen.

As the section between Jomokogen and Echigo-Yuzawa station, in the down direction of the Jōetsu Shinkansen, runs on a shallow slope, it was decided to modify 4 formations (ATC, brakes) to be able to run at 275km/h on this section, this was the fastest top speed of any Shinkansen, until the introduction of the 500系 in 1997.

275km/h service started in March 1990 And would continue until the 275km/h capability was deactivated in December of 1999. They where numbered F90~F93.

Also introduced in 1990 where the 6, sixteen car (originally 13) H formations (H1~H6). Formed from surplus E/F and G formation cars, coupled to the two 2000番台 221/222形 combinations, four similar rebuild 225/226形-> 221/222形  200系200番台 and 12 purpose build 248/249形 double Decker cars, they where the first, and till now only 16 car formations to be used by JR East. They had a further increased top speed of 245Km/h, and where recognizable by the double green stripes on the cars.

two further 200系200番台 221/222形 combinations where placed in F formations.

In 1992, with the opening of the Yamagata Shinkansen, and the subsequent entry into service of the 400系, JR East formed eleven 8 car formations.

These formations where fitted with retractable couplers on the Morioka side (222形), reformed into 8 car formations with a single green car (215形)*  and 225形400番台 (460/480 and 490番台, all rebuild 237形 cars). These formations where numbered into the K1~K11 sub group, and all where former F formations (both new build (F1~F21) and reformed E formations), with formations K1~K6 having 1500番台 221/222形 cars and a mix of 0 and 1000番台 for the 225/225/215形 cars. K7~K11 where 0/1000番台 formations (K7 and K10) or full 0番台 formations (K8, K9 and K11) all had 0番台 221/222形 cars though. In 1997 with the opening of the Akita Shinkansen, and the extension of the Yamagata Shinkansen, the K formations where extended to 10 cars, all former F formation cars (1000番台), this also marked the renumbering of the original K formations to K21~K31. At the same time eleven extra K formations where formed, all former F formations (1000番台 and 1500/1000番台 mixes), these formations became the K41~K51 formations, bringing the total to twenty-two.

In 1999 JR East started the refurbishment of twelve of the twenty-two K formations. Of the K21~K31 group only three formations where selected (K21, K25 and K26), while of the K41~K51 group, only two formations where omitted (K45 and K50). The remaining non-renewed K formations where slowly retired in the early 2000's . K25 was officially retired in 2005 following her derailment, while K21 made it till January 2012 (2 months shy of her 30th birthday), and as mentioned K26 was retired on the 20th of January 2013.

Between 1997 and 2002 JR East retired most of the surviving 200系0番台 formations (formations that where exclusively composed of 0番台 cars, former E formations), built between 1980 and 1982 they where simply approaching the end of their service live.

This process started in October 1997 with the withdrawal of formation G43, and by December 1999 the last G formation, G28 was retired.

The surviving reformed F formations (F30~F40, F61 , F90 and F91*, all former E formations, re-specced to F formations after the 1985 opening of the Ōmiya-Ueno section, and consequent increase to 240km/h max) where all retired between 2000 and 2002, starting with formation F30 (formerly E1, the first 200系 production formation) in December 2000, and ending with formation F40 (former formation E25) in August of 2002.

All remaining 200系0番台 cars where part of either the K21~K31 subgroup of K formation, or in all 6 of the H formations (H1~H6).

The remaining non-renewaled formations where to be retired between 2003 and 2006,with the bulk of retirements between 2004 and 2005. The reason behind the accelerated retirement of non-renewaled formations, was JR East's desire to convert both the Tōhoku and the Jōetsu Shinkansen to DS-ATC, judging it to costly to convert the elderly 200系 formations to DS-ATC, it was decided to accelerate the retirement of all remaining "classic" cars. The renewalled formations, with the intent of a life extension of 10 years minimum, where refitted with DS-ATC in this period.

In March 2004 the last two F formations (F8 and F19) where officially retired, followed In august of 2005 by the last H formation (H5). the H formations had been shortened from 16 to 12 cars (losing their 248/249形 double deck cars) in 2004, after their exit from scheduled service (they where used for holiday/charter work for a year after this).

The last non-renewaled K formation, K31, was retired in January 2006, well after her sisters had left (first K formation was retired in March 2000) in November 2003. K31 was retained as a result of the tragic derailment of renewaled formation K25 on the 23rd of October 2004, as a result of the Chūetsu earthquake (K25 was almost on top the epicenter when the quaked struck, she derailed at ~200Km/h and got stuck in a (snow water) draining ditch between the tracks, no injuries fortunately, but K25 was retired). So K31 was retained for some time, before a replacement E2系1000番台 (J69) was built.

The remaining eleven K formations where to be retired around 10 years after their renewal, they lasted almost 14...

All that remains after typing this (to be fair though, the last two paragraphs are from an older post of mine), is to say goodbye with the following:

Thank you 200系 for being one of the trains to kick start my love affair with Japanese Trains 14 years ago, thank you for providing years and years of safe service, thank you for making hanging around as long as you did, and thank you for still being around when I finally got to Japan just a few years ago... Thanks to JR East for keeping them in almost perfect condition.

I may have only seen a few of you, and only had the joy of riding one (Thanks K21), but it's an experience I'll never forget.

ありがとうございます200系新幹線!

Some clips from today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwZbyCfGQFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl1H3vSN29M

-Sander

• Like 3

sad to say goodbye. at least i got to ride on one my first trip to japan. they always felt like a jet liner when they pulled into the station. something about the lines very reminiscent of jet noses and the curve along the top edges of the sides made the body feel more round like a jetliner. something in the riveting of the skin as well. more than other shinkansens did. nice feel.

jeff

Truly the end of an era. The final trainsets that defined the phrase dangan ressha (弾丸列車), which literally translates as "bullet train," has finally been formally retired from revenue service. It was the very success of the Shinkansen that began the rebirth of long-distance passenger rail trains just when many thought that airplanes and automobiles would make passenger rail obsolete back in the 1960's.

I like your post, but not the fact that the 'bullet train' is now gone forever. And that I haven't had the privilege of riding one or seeing one in service in my life. I like how the train appears so, how should I describe it... robust. More so than the modern trains with weird shapes and shiny and fancy colors.

Now I'm just curious if they will keep one (perhaps shortened) trainset like the lone 4-car 0 series that was used for training purposes some years back (dunno what happened to it from then). Just theoretically, I wonder if it would be profitable to do some sort of 'nostalgic express' -let's say- once a month in the weekend using the Joetsu Shinkansen at 240km/h (so the speed shouldn't be a problem). It's just a dream, there's no chance it would be done in practice wouldn't it?

Now from next month we will only be able to see it at museums or if you end up in the middle of nowhere in Hokkaido.

Excellent post as always, 200系. I hope you won't be retiring your username :grin . Also, did you notice that the guy who made the first video, oxkami5523, is in the last video at :20?

SubwayHypes

cool post, sad to see them go!  always hate to see relics like this retire, i get really nostalgic about old livery, from japanese trains to san francisco muni buses reminds me of old times.

pretty cool sendoff though, looks like every seat was packed, and the turnout really shows how popular train culture is in japan!

Densha, the 0 and 200 Series Shinkansen trainsets are very distinctive because the nose of the train really did look the rounded tip of a pistol bullet--hence the phrase dangan ressha (弾丸列車) really applied to these models. The modern Shinkansen trainsets have much more pointed noses not only to reduce aerodynamic drag at 240 km/h to 300 km/h speeds, but also to reduce the "piston effect" of the trainset going through tunnels.

(EDIT: I believe there will be one more run of the 200 Series trainset on 30 March 2013, a special run from Morioka to Tokyo. That train is going to be VERY well-followed, especially since it will be travelling completely in daytime.)

Edited by Sacto1985
Excellent post as always, 200系. I hope you won't be retiring your username :grin . Also, did you notice that the guy who made the first video, oxkami5523, is in the last video at :20?

Thanks, and I think I'll be keeping the username :grin. Interesting about oxkami5523, hadn't noticed before!

The final trainsets that defined the phrase dangan ressha (弾丸列車)

As far as I know, the phrase dangan ressha was only ever used for the late 30's early 40's abandoned Shinkansen project, and was never used for the Shinkansen as we know it today.

The phrase 'Bullet Train', as is often used outside Japan (and in particular in the English speaking world) was a result of Journalist coupling the new project to the abandoned dangan ressha project, as well as the pointed shape of the nose of the original Shinkansen (so yes, in relation to the English term you are correct), but as far as I'm aware the term was almost never used as a reference to the Shinkansen within the Japanese society. The Shinkansen trains, would've originally have a semi-official name though; Yume no Chōtokkyū or Super Express of Dreams, but that name never really caught on with public, so they where often just revered to as "(The) Shinkansen" or after 1980 as the 0系.

Now I'm just curious if they will keep one (perhaps shortened) trainset like the lone 4-car 0 series that was used for training purposes some years back (dunno what happened to it from then)

You mean formation Q4? One car (22-1047) was kept for future preservation, while the other cars where likely scrapped. See the following topic (I noticed you already liked the opening post, so you're probably already aware):

Friendship Day 2012 + New (likely) Preserved Shinkansen Cars [Hakata-Minami]

(EDIT: I believe there will be one more run of the 200 Series trainset on 30 March 2013, a special run from Morioka to Tokyo. That train is going to be VERY well-followed, especially since it will be travelling completely in daytime.)

That's correct, in fact there will be a few more special charters for the 200系;

-On the 23th of March on the Jōetsu Shinkansen (Niigata-Ueno) (TYO Spring)

-On the 23th of March on the Tōhoku Shinkansen (Shin-Shirakawa-Morioka and vice verse) (Arigatō 200系 Shinkansen)

-On the 30th of March on the Jōetsu Shinkansen (Niigata-Ueno) (TYO Spring)

-On the 30th of March on the Tōhoku Shinkansen (Morioka-Tōkyō) (Sayōnara 200系 Shinkansen Yamabiko)

-On the 6th of April on the Tōhoku Shinkansen (Ueno-Sendai) (charter: Miyagi prefecture/Sendai 200系)

-On the 13th of April on the Tōhoku Shinkansen (Sendai-Ueno) (Arigatō 200系 Shinkansen [Final Tōhoku])

-On the 14th of April on the Jōetsu Shinkansen (Niigata-Ueno) (Sayōnara 200系 Shinkansen)

-On the 14th of April on the Jōetsu Shinkansen (Ueno-Niigata) (Sayōnara 200系 Shinkansen [Final Train])

Thanks for all the reactions, and I'm sorry for keeping my reply a bit short (having a busy week)

-Sander

• Like 2
bronzeonion
You will need special tickets as these are not normal revenue trains.

All of those listed are not normal trains?

Where can I get these special tickets?

200系 is the end of classical shinkansen era.  As one talks of musical eras, so too can such a comparison be made of rail:  The steam era, for example.  Ergo, "Classical Shinkansen" is the period of October 1964 to March 2013, at least, as I see it.

• Like 2

Just a few hours ago, formation K47 running as 'Arigatō 200 Series Shinkansen' arrived at Niigata station, marking the end of an era.

Youtube (first video's to be uploaded):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKtlqwssIUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZytZb_fzY3w

Press:

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130414-00000002-minkei-l11

200系 is the end of classical shinkansen era.  As one talks of musical eras, so too can such a comparison be made of rail:  The steam era, for example.  Ergo, "Classical Shinkansen" is the period of October 1964 to March 2013, at least, as I see it.

Couldn't agree more Ochanomizu, nicely said.

-Sander

Edited by 200系
  • Like 2
Davo Dentetsu

Gutting, the real end of an era.  Will we ever see the likes of it ever again?  A retro design for the slower lines would be a cool thing, but wishful thinking on my part!

I just can't press the like button, I don't like it! :(

I feel bad I've missed out on the '90s and early 2000s trains, but what's done is done. Hope to still catch a glimpse or ride with the 500 and E4 series when I get to Japan someday.

It'll be very interesting to see what will replace the 500 and E4 trainsets. My guess is that the 500's will be replaced by older 700's in Kodama service, and the E4's will be replaced by longer E2 formations, using E2's that are now being slowly replaced by E5's on the Tohoku line. 

What I don't understand is how they want to get the capacity of two coupled 8-car E4's in a single level train, that's not possible.