Multi Level Layout

Here's a  multi level layout mainly with Kato track, Unitram and what looks a Tomix single track elevated interurban line. Main line trains, commuter trains, trams, interurbans, several stations and lots of tall buildings for an interesting effect.

• Like 2

What's with the configuration of the trains? It's all messed up and not even close to prototypical. The layout itself looks fun, but a bit too many tracks for my taste.

What's with the configuration of the trains? It's all messed up and not even close to prototypical. The layout itself looks fun, but a bit too many tracks for my taste.

Being prototypical doesn't matter to everyone. What matters is enjoying your trains the way you want. :-)

But I agree with you: this layout is a bit too crowded!

Most model railway layouts are not prototypical in layout plan. To reproduce the prototype can be difficult because of space and  limited track options.  Japanese modelers especially seem to like trains going round and round. That could be viewed as prototypical in the sense of viewing a constant parade of trains as you would at a level crossing in Hiroshima, in Nagoya near the JR station or in the heart of Tokyo at any number of places.

Personally I would make a roundy roundy layout like this, add more lines you want. You can keep the trains running around and around while the ugly sharp curves are not visible. Maybe an L-shape would be nice too. But even a simple panel like Ken did with Sumida Crossing does wonders.

post-638-0-83742600-1363283620_thumb.jpg

Rule 1 applies - "it's my layout and I run what I want"

having said that, I wouldn't call that a layout, it is more a train set

• Like 1

It looks fun!

But the 'overhead' track is kinda scary. It's Tomix no doubt, as i can recognise the track pieces. The track is not a viaduct track and is only suspended on the roof of some building at both ends, and you can actually see the track bends down when the train runs over... Kinda scary! I never would want my previous trains to fall and crash...

It's a good concept, and i think one can have great fun running multiple trains at the same time and watching them go round, but layout is minimised due to all the lines.. And yes Lawrence is right, it's my layout, i run what i want!

I gave up on prototype years ago, to costly and never any space. I like to watch trains go round and round, and when I get tried of it, I do something else. I liked the layout in the video, and agree with Lawrence on Rule #1. :)

SubwayHypes

cool layout, to really be considered "multi level" in my opinion you need an underground subway line!   a little crowded up top but still a nice setup.

when i first started N scale i didnt care too much about prototypical, but as i get more and more into my hobby i am leaning towards keeping things as accurate as possible, my next layout will consist of mostly tokyo only lines, and the extra trains that are from different areas like kyoto will be put in the display case.

Prototypical is relative a "small prototypical city route " (2.5Km or a 1.5 mile square) requires 45 feet or 15 meters of space (Squared). Not too many of us can stay within these prototypical guidelines. Hence a sliding rule is in placed for "prototypical layouts."

As SubwayHypes commented you can only lean towards keeping things as accurate as possible.... based on what you have available.

Watching the video he's actually done a good job in space utilization.

Inobu