Directional Headlight wiring! how to? (DCC)

NEX-989

Hey guys

im new to Japanese N Scale so excuse me for my lack of knowledge :toothy12:

i've read some threads here about DCC

but i couldnt find one that would help me wiring the Directional Headlights of my Tomix N700 and Kato E5 using only one decoder per shinkansen being installed into the motorized car! :sad1:

i dont have any idea at all how to do this :icon_scratch:

but im sure that one of you guys has succesfully done this before!

thank you in advance for your suggestions

CaptOblivious

I don't know of anyone here who has done it, but it is not hard in principle. You will need a four-function motor decoder—and very long wires to run through all of the cars intermediate between the motorized carriage and the cab cars. Which is why no-one that I know of has bothered, as it precludes any kind of uncoupling, unless you wired some kind of miniature connector at each end of each car…at which point the cost and time savings of using only onde decoder are pretty much lost.

i dont think that theres cost saving using three decoders!

the big twist is the connector you mentioned :icon_scratch:

Edited by NEX-989
Darklighter
You will need a four-function motor decoder

I suppose a 2 function decoder will suffice if you connect the head light at one end and the tail light at the other end to the first function output and the other lights to the second output. Of course, a 4 function decoder will offer more flexibility.

As for the connectors, something like this might be suitable: http://www.ebay.de/itm/370757196865

Edited by Darklighter

i just got 2 Lenz Silver Mini which should do the job however i decide to wire it up :angel5:

tanks for that ebay link!

ill order them right now :)

Hello Mr NEX-989,

Kato E5 is DCC Friendly.  You can install decoders in the cab cars.

Tomix N700 - please supply product code.  Current product has the conductive couplers.  One option is to disconnect the wheel pickups from the couplers.  You can do this and still have in-car lighting.  However, you must disassemble each car and re-wire.  Once this is done, you can use the conductive couplers for the headlights and tail lights.  However, for this install you must use Lenz Silver Mini.

Best advice: 3 decoders is worth the price of hours of re-wiring.

i already thought about using the conductive couplers of the N700 but the headlights are flashing even with all wheel/car pick up running on DC :icon_scratch: (track and wheels are clean)

i know that the Kato is DCC friendly but i started this thread to avoid the need of three decoders or more if i decide to install switchable passenger lightning

but theres a different question in my mind

i heard Tomix Trains have Constant Light which might could damage the decoder

how does CL work?

CaptOblivious

CL uses a high frequency AC signal, to which LEDs respond but motors do not. If the decoder meets NMRA specs, it will be undamaged. Lenz decoders can be relied upon in this case. Anyway, CL is a feature of the throttle, not the train so you have nothing to fear.

so i dont i have to change something on the headlights!?!

i wonder if someone has build passenger lights on his own?

CaptOblivious
so i dont i have to change something on the headlights!?!

i wonder if someone has build passenger lights on his own?

You will still need to dissect the lights to isolate them from the rails, and from each other, as is usual with any DCC installation. But otherwise there is nothing special about the lights in the Tomix trains.

Darklighter

It depends. If you rarely have to uncouple the cars and if expensive decoders are required (e.g. the Lenz Silver Mini+ because of its ABC system), using one decoder per consist can make sense. I'm going to do the same with a 4-car consist (that isn't DCC ready).

i just got 2 Kato 4 car sets (E2/E4)

so i got 4 consists now which means i would save at least 100 dollars for decoders by using one per consist :-)