Kato Oriental Express Complete Set with engine

to2leo

I finally am able to complete my Kato Oriental Express.

3 months in collecting, this has got to be my most expensive set yet.

D51 498 オリエントエクスプレス’88 タイプ

60_27_03_09_3_14_18.JPG

60_27_03_09_3_15_33.JPG

The engine does not have directional headlight.  It seems Kato just used an

older engine model that they had and added the new paint style.

However, the engine runs better than C62 especially going downhill and maneuvering curves.

post-60-13569922450897_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569922451946_thumb.jpg

Leo - Congratulations on the complete set, I've seen it on ebay for a lot more that what Hobby Search was offering it for. Due to the financial state of the USA I had to rethink my spending and passed when it was restocked :'(

That is surprising that Kato remodeled one of their older engines for the Orient Express. Minitrix did this with their sets in the 80s. I have the Sir Nigel & Britannia and it is the same chassis but a different shell.

Martijn Meerts

I have a full set on order as well, bit pricey but I've always loved the Orient Express. Not just the train itself, but the whole concept of traveling such a long distance on a luxury train just sounds great =)

As for the directional headlights, it doesn't need them. The locomotive would've never ran in reverse other than during shunting. The loco also isn't Kato, but Kato Roundhouse, they tend to re-release older engines with different colour schemes / special versions.

Thanks for the comments, Bernard and Martijn.  I am curious about the differences between Kato and Kato Roundhouse too.  Do tell  ;D

Martijn Meerts

I think Kato Roundhouse usually only makes the more special models. They're also more difficult to get and more limited than normal Kato stuff.

Quality wise, I think they're pretty much the same, although my Kato Roundhouse Paleo Express set has a locomotive which has very visible wires running from the loco to the tender =)

I think Kato Roundhouse usually only makes the more special models. They're also more difficult to get and more limited than normal Kato stuff.

Quality wise, I think they're pretty much the same, although my Kato Roundhouse Paleo Express set has a locomotive which has very visible wires running from the loco to the tender =)

In other words, novelty items with focus on face value.  Not appearance but what it represents.

Thanks, I wonder if Tomix have a brand that is similar in its philosophy...Tomytec?

Martijn Meerts

Well, I just received my complete Orient Express set. I have to say, everything is extremely well done. The cars look amazing, it's like they spent a little bit extra to make them as good as they possibly can. Even the box it comes in is sturdier than Kato's usual boxes (And it comes in a nice Orient Express blue colour ;))

The locomotive looks real nice as well at first glance. It's an older style Kato with the motor still inside the cabin (phew ;))

I probably paid too much for it, it wasn't that easy to get anymore, but in the end I feel it was worth it. It's been a while since I opened a box, looked at the content, and got a smile on my face =)

Now I just need to wait a few months before I can run the full set and do it any justice  :'(

Edit: Well, I've got an ALMOST complete set. It seems the Orient Express never ran with only the D51-498, but it was always accompanied by the EF58-61 (Imperial electric locomotive). It also ran with just the EF58-61. Conveniently, Kato did a rerun of the EF58-61 in February, so one of them is on the way to me =)

EF5861 is one of my favs. I managed to snag one for about £30 a few months ago and love how that little KATO (big KATO) runs. Probably the last engine I bought before refocusing my monies to other projects.

Martijn Meerts

Well, received my EF58-61, so now I really have the complete Orient Express. I have to say the locomotive looks absolutely amazing. Never was a big fan of the older dark brown electrics with the weird bogies (some will claim that's heresy ;)), but after seeing this particular model in the flesh so to speak, WOW! =)

Martijn Meerts

I was able to clear some space in my room yesterday, just enough for a small double oval of track. Ran Tomix's N700 and new 0-2000 series, as well as the rapi:t. They all seemed to have the same problem, but I think the curves might be the cause of that ;)

However, I then put on the Kato EF58-61, and I have to say that that one is by far the best running N-scale locomotive I've seen. It's very heavy, and probably has some impressive flywheels, since when you give it say 9 volts, it'll actually slowly accelerate, the motor really needs to work to get the thing moving. Stopping is even better, it's almost like it's a digital train, comes to a nice and smooth stop. Heck, the thing even sounds great ;)

I was able to clear some space in my room yesterday, just enough for a small double oval of track. Ran Tomix's N700 and new 0-2000 series, as well as the rapi:t. They all seemed to have the same problem, but I think the curves might be the cause of that ;)

However, I then put on the Kato EF58-61, and I have to say that that one is by far the best running N-scale locomotive I've seen. It's very heavy, and probably has some impressive flywheels, since when you give it say 9 volts, it'll actually slowly accelerate, the motor really needs to work to get the thing moving. Stopping is even better, it's almost like it's a digital train, comes to a nice and smooth stop. Heck, the thing even sounds great ;)

Thanks for the update, MArtijn! You are making me to take a second look on the EF58-61!  Love to see some pics or vids!

Martijn Meerts

I'll see if I can take some pictures and/or videos this weekend. They won't be spectacular due to the already mentioned lack of space ;)

I got to agree with that. I found my EF5861 to be the best running KATO, I have as well, thoguh my EF66 is up there with it.

Fenway Park

Kato Roundhouse is used by Kato to produce models where they cannot guarantee 100% accuracy. The livery will be spot on but the loco/EMU/DMU/coach set will not be that accurate.

It's Kato's way of issuing one off models without the expense of re tooling. Still look good though.

Martijn Meerts

Here are some pictures of the EF58-61. Unfortunately, pictures don't do it justice (especially not pictures taken in a hurry with bad lighting and in a room full of dust =))

The locomotive is almost as long as the C62 including tender, and weighs about twice as much as a C62 ;)

EF58-61_1.jpg

EF58-61_2.jpg

Wow this is definitely a nice looking engine, thanks for the pictures, Martijin! 

Given the weight and the 'all wheel drive', I wonder how many cars can this engine pull?

One thing that really put me off is the use of Rapido coupler in the n gauge world!  It is like admiring a beautiful engine and then splat this large out of place coupler sticks out like a sore thumb!

Martijn Meerts

Yeah, luckily the couplers can be replaced though. Something I'll be doing once I really start building something and running trains regularly ;)

Welshbloke

That is surprising that Kato remodeled one of their older engines for the Orient Express. Minitrix did this with their sets in the 80s. I have the Sir Nigel & Britannia and it is the same chassis but a different shell.

More likely it was the other way around. Minitrix have offered several German 4-6-2s and I would not be surprised if the British locos used the same chassis.

Hate to sound dumb,

I've got the set BUT it seems the stanadrd set isn't a complete set.

I've got blue 2 boxes of carriages, and a plastic box with the round house loco.

So what bits am I missing from a COMPLETE set ???

CaptOblivious

Hate to sound dumb,

I've got blue 2 boxes of carriages, and a plastic box with the round house loco.

How is that not complete? Kato only released two box sets 10-561 and 10-562, plus the Roundhouse D51. That's all there is, or at least, all that Kato made :D

alpineaustralia
One thing that really put me off is the use of Rapido coupler in the n gauge world!  It is like admiring a beautiful engine and then splat this large out of place coupler sticks out like a sore thumb!

It is also a bug bear of mine and it is for that reason I made the decision early on to convert all rapido couplers to knuckle couplers.

Martijn Meerts

Hate to sound dumb,

Depends a bit on how you want to model it. There's been about 6-7 locomotives used in Japan to pull the train on various parts of the country.

From what I've been able to figure out, the Orient Express never ran with only the steam locomotive (the Kato Roundhouse release), but always had the EF58-61 running along with it. I think they just hooked up the D51 498 in front of the EF58-61 for special runs.

Depends a bit on how you want to model it. There's been about 6-7 locomotives used in Japan to pull the train on various parts of the country.

From what I've been able to figure out, the Orient Express never ran with only the steam locomotive (the Kato Roundhouse release), but always had the EF58-61 running along with it. I think they just hooked up the D51 498 in front of the EF58-61 for special runs.

In other words, D51 is used to blow hot air and smoke! :grin