Kato Oriental Express Complete Set with engine

to2leo

The question now is, what to do with the Kato Roundhouse version of this loco :)

nothing...  like me  :grin 

or you can buy another one NIOE set from italian crazy ebayer :laughing7:

(same question when I bought the last EF81 Twilight.....)

ciao

Massimo

Massimo, thanks for the link, ended up ordering it :) It might be more expensive than elsewhere, but I trust PlazaJapan, and he's got good service. Besides, a Fleischmann or Minitrix steamer with that kinda detail and running characteristics would cost 3x as much :)

To2leo, bit hesitant ordering by mail using some translating engine for the registration process. Knowing my luck I'd end up ordering 20 of something I really don't need ;)

The question now is, what to do with the Kato Roundhouse version of this loco :)

I've just ordered one fronm PJ, I haven't bought anything from him for a while.

As I mentioned earlier my old version will get a coat of plain black paint and put on display in a park. A more pressing question is what sort of time travel paradox will arise should the Orient Express D51 498 from 1988 meet up with my present day excursion train version? :grin

Actually every online store can sell it oversea now, I believe hobby search did it, too.

I haven't been able to find them there.

Actually every online store can sell it oversea now, I believe hobby search did it, too.

That's not what my shop in Hong Kong is telling me.  He says he's repeatedly asked Kato and they have repeatedly told him NO due to licencing issues.

Hobby Search still does not have any of the Kato NIOE available on the English site.

Martijn Meerts

Westfalen, if the 2 ever meet up, your entire scale world will collapse on itself, create a miniature black hole. You might lose your house in the process as well :)

Hobby Search has it listed only on their Japanese page, no English version. Of course, Hobby Search has sold out of it a while ago I guess.

Have you tried Hobbylink Japan?

Last time I e-mailed them, they mentioned that they will try to offer it.  Perhaps you can get them to pre-order for you so that you can receive it in Kato's second round which usually comes in a few weeks.

Hobby Search still have the whole set instock now. I bet they just forget to update. Kato Japan removed sold in Japan only message, and I ordered my D51 498 from Rakuten successfully.  :grin

Hobby Search still have the whole set instock now. I bet they just forget to update. Kato Japan removed sold in Japan only message, and I ordered my D51 498 from Rakuten successfully.  :grin

Sorry I still can't find it at HS despite a thorough search, do you have a link? Not that it matters, I already have the train from the first run a few years ago, just curious.

Westfalen, if the 2 ever meet up, your entire scale world will collapse on itself, create a miniature black hole. You might lose your house in the process as well :)

Hobby Search has it listed only on their Japanese page, no English version. Of course, Hobby Search has sold out of it a while ago I guess.

I'll run them on a friend's layout then just in case. :grin

Martijn Meerts

I have it on order at Plaza Japan, still hasn't shipped though. Guess I'm just spoiled since he usually ships within a few hours, while this time around it's been 2 days =)

I have it on order at Plaza Japan, still hasn't shipped though. Guess I'm just spoiled since he usually ships within a few hours, while this time around it's been 2 days =)

I ordered mine on the 8th and no shipping notice yet, he must be busy. I'll give him a couple of extra days seeing it's a weekend.

Martijn Meerts

Same.. Interesting though, 2 days earlier he shipped a LOT of track to me within a few hours of ordering, and he's also already commented on the D51 order.

Maybe he needs to check whether he's allowed to ship it outside Japan?

Just received my full set (13 cars + D51) from Popondetta. It's freakin' gorgeous.  :love7:

They still have a ton in stock if anyone is looking.

Looks like they've updated a lot of things on the cars, most notably they've switched to their newest style trucks. The D51 is seriously something. It's got the same fake momentum of the Tomix C57. At least I think it's fake. It's gotta be a capacitor in there vs. the actual flywheel that allows it to coast. The detail is just amazing for a plastic model. The running quality is top notch Kato - quiet and smooth. The only thing missing is the headlight on the tender. Small detail that won't be missed anyway.

I almost want to hoard another set...  :laugh: Highly recommend!!!

Martijn Meerts

Tomix C57 just has a flywheel, no additional capacitor or anything like that to achieve the 'fake momentum' .. There's a few Kato loco's with the same characteristics as well (EF58-61 for example) which don't have anything other than the flywheel either.. Just that the flywheels are quite large and heavy ;)

And yes, the Orient Express is a beautiful set, although, you really do need an EF58-61, as it never ran with only the D51-498, always a combination of D51-498 and EF58-61. (It also ran with other locomotives, but when using the D51-498, it was always accompanied by the EF58-61)

Martijn Meerts

My D51-498 Orient Express has been shipped, looking forward to getting it .. It'll be my first Kato steamer since they started the retooling, not counting the Morning Daylight GS4 :)

• Like 1

And yes, the Orient Express is a beautiful set, although, you really do need an EF58-61, as it never ran with only the D51-498, always a combination of D51-498 and EF58-61. (It also ran with other locomotives, but when using the D51-498, it was always accompanied by the EF58-61)

Is the EF58-61 a new tooling or same old? Anyway, MY train so I could pull this with my KTT RE460 if I wanted to...  :laugh: Besides I think it looks fantastic just being hauled by the D51, which seemingly, is also more powerful and has better traction than the Tomix C57.

Martijn Meerts

Not sure the EF58-61 is new or old tooling, but it runs and looks great, it's actually one of my favorite locomotives.

And yeah, you could run it with whatever you want of course, as long as the loco can pull the cars  :grin

My Orient Express D51 arrived today, Six and a half days from ordering to recieving is not too bad. It has a few detail variations from the previous D51 498 especially the tender.

OK I stand corrected.. You're right - the momentum created by the flywheel isn't fake, it's definitely there. I tested it (on an older EF210) by pulling off the PCB board so it was just the motor and sure enough the train still coasted after throttle was cut. I guess the capacitor on the PCB is mainly for the lighting circuit. My bad! .. Carry on...

lol sorry not being rude so please don't take offense but this reminds me of another rail forum i was on and people were talking about kato being the best brand out there running and quality wise.

One person replied "I don't like Kato because they dont have automatic brakes when you turn off the power"  :toothy12:

I wonder what's the reason behind Kato's decision of not making this gorgeous set available to rest of the world?

I am tempted to hoard another passenger twin set too!  :cheesy

I wonder what's the reason behind Kato's decision of not making this gorgeous set available to rest of the world?

Copyright fees, CIWL ask too much money to use their name in Europe and the rest of the world (that reply directly from Mr.Kato and Mr.Lemke in the last Nurnmberg Messe  :sad: ) and some rights already retained from european companies (Arnold, Fleischmann and Minitrix)

Ciao

Massimo

Copyright fees, CIWL ask too much money to use their name in Europe and the rest of the world (that reply directly from Mr.Kato and Mr.Lemke in the last Nurnmberg Messe  :sad: ) and some rights already retained from european companies (Arnold, Fleischmann and Minitrix)

Ciao

Massimo

I wonder what made them change their mind, it is available now, and there was no apparent problem with the previous run.