Kato Rheinbahn tram

bill937ca

While I'm collecting information on trams I thought we`'d have a look at the Kato Rheinbahn tram, its prototype, the system its named for and reviews.

The Prototype Tram

This small boxy four wheel tram is known in Germany as a War Tram.  These bodies were built during and after the war using controls and equipment from damaged trams.  These were primitive little creatures with 12 wooden seats, 70 standees,in a design that waived interior trim and opening windows.

Wikipedia has a good page  Kriegsstraßenbahnwagen  which can be translated with Google Translate.

There is also a detailed plan on another web site.

What is Rheinbahn?

Rheinbahn is a German transport provider that encompasses Dusseldorf and has 13 tram lines and 7 Stadbahn lines.  Again Wikipedia has a good definition of Rheinbahn in English.  Rheinbahn is part of  Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr transport network.  VRR has 894 lines including 44 tram lines and 17 Stadbahn light rail lines.  Rhein-Ruhr is generally conceded to be the world`s largest tram network.  Wikipedia defines  Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr in English.

The Model

The model includes a powered four wheel tram and non-powered four wheel trailer. This model is a product of Kato-Lemke and can be found in German packaging in Europe. According one dealer web site it has a five pole motor, but another source says 3 pole.

I have seen one opinion that this tram needs clean track, switches with metal frogs or flange pickups and a power pack with pulse modulation (which the reviewer says most Japanese power packs have) to make it a good runner. If you have plastic frogs and a linear regulator it will stall often. 

My experience with the four wheel Kato drives is that they only run reliably at high speed. The spacing of axles on four wheel tram drives makes them ideal candidates to stall on turnouts and crossovers, but maybe this is a frog issue. Additional weight would be a help but there is not much room.

Quinntopia has a You Tube review also.

Most prices over here run about $100 US, but I have seen them for 70 Euros from a German dealer. The issue here might be shipping.

As far as I know this is essentially the same tram as the Kato Pocket line 14-501 and 14-501-2 trams (apart from the body) which run $30 US but are essentially a motorized N scale tram toy.  I know of no specific prototype for that tram.  Even the long sold out Hiroshima 14-070 tram was only $27 (2520 Yen at HS) versus 8550 Yen for the K14631, K14632, K14633, K14634 or K14635 at HS. But then this is a Kato/Lemke release with European pricing not a Kato Japan release.

So it appears you may be paying for the great advertising graphics which could be found on the prototypes in Germany years ago. Still with a Faller train station, a few European structures and a Kato Rheinbahn with all the advertising signs you could have very striking Euro scene.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Hi Bill,

For some time I've planned to add pickup wipers to the trailer car, similar to those in the powered car, and run two high-flex wires up to the motor car along the coupler bar. That would provide 8-wheel pickup and should greatly improve the operation. (The old Model Power motor/trailer sets would also benefit from this.) The other option is to make the four-wheel chassis less rigid. Right now, when one axle lifts or drops (for example, on uneven track or a frog/flangeway) the second axle also tilts, putting one of its wheels up in the air. That's how you can lose power on a turnout with a non-powered frog. It should be possible to carefully enlarge the unpowered axle's hole through the chassis, so that it looks like a slight hourglass shape in the vertical plane. Then, this axle can rock a bit in the chassis and keep both wheels on the the rails.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb

Correction.  There does appear to be a prototype for the Kato Pocket line 14-501 and 14-501-2 trams. Its the Hiroden 800 series double truck trams. Still there is not a single truck version that I know of and nor a trailer version either. So no direct prototype and it is a free lance sort of model.