Mooka Station in JR days (1987)

bikkuri bahn

The scene: only 5 months after the breakup of JNR, a late morning scene at Mooka Station.  Other than the JR logos on the sides of the diesel railcars, everything is still very much JNR in appearance and operation, including semaphore signals, manually operated switches, and rolling stock in shu iro no. 5 color.  We see 6-car train 827D arrive, the first four cars, consisting of kiha 20 and kiha 45's, uncoupled and moved to shed, and later the two car kiha 58(?) and kiha 45 departs for Motegi. Various movements in the depot area. Less than a year later, control of this line will pass from JR East to Mooka Rlwy.

track layout at Mooka Station:

http://senrohaisenzu.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2012/12/31/r.jpg

string diagram for this line, AM hours:

http://senrohaisenzu.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2012/12/29/5r.jpg

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 5

That was a very interesting video to say the least. Really good atmosphere too. I really like the combinations of Kiha's that were used, and that they were shunting with all windows and doors opened. Makes this spring day even better.

Now I want to look into which combinations of Kiha's were used in Japan, that would make for great variations on the model railway.

The Mooka station presently looks awful compared to this.

Edited by Densha

Share you thinking about the current station. I am not a fan of the disneyfication embodied by the current station building, though I admit these small railways have to do it to attract tourist revenue, rather than satisfy the whims of fussy enthusiasts like me.  But I wonder, thirty or fifty years from now, will they tear down the current building, and rebuild in the original structure's style with modern amenities? I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

The Mooka Station building design is so unique that it's HIGHLY unlikely it will be torn down anytime soon. Besides, it has become a bit of a tourist attraction....