Fukushima firm builds first new SL in Japan in 20 yrs

tsubasa119

I wonder what is the gauge of that little engine. If it's 1067 mm, it could be run on private railways in Fukushima Prefecture (and attract a lot of railrfans trying to follow it).

Apparently the firm, with the aid/cooperation of 7 retired employees with the requisite knowledge/skills, was able to build the locomotive in one year. It based on a 1940's era design by the company.

I wonder what is the gauge of that little engine. If it's 1067 mm, it could be run on private railways in Fukushima Prefecture (and attract a lot of railrfans trying to follow it).

Looks narrower than 3'6" and the link and pin couplers suggest a narrow gauge.

Apparently the firm, with the aid/cooperation of 7 retired employees with the requisite knowledge/skills, was able to build the locomotive in one year. It based on a 1940's era design by the company.

Funny that it should take that much effort...after all, they still advertise the locomotive in their web page!

Cheers NB

Looking at the engine in the video, and knowing that the builder is Kyosan, it appears to be to the same design as the Toyo Kassei Hakudo/Oriental White Clay Co. engine featured in Small's "Rails To The Rising Sun", page 113. According to Small this engine was based on their export engines for sugar plantations. The TKH engine was originally built to 610mm gauge but later converted to 600mm gauge. The engine in the video appears to be somewhere in the 610/762mm range, certainly not 1067mm gauge.

Whatever it's gauge,  I reckon it's a rather lovely little engine - I'm a bit envious!  :)

Cheers,

Mark.

That engine is not gong to be very useful if it's limited to a gauge smaller than 1067 mm! They should have built a 1067 mm gauge locomotive so at least you could see it out on the main line every now and then....

For those who don't know

Looking at the engine in the video, and knowing that the builder is Kyosan, it appears to be to the same design as the Toyo Kassei Hakudo/Oriental White Clay Co. engine featured in Small's "Rails To The Rising Sun", page 113. According to Small this engine was based on their export engines for sugar plantations. The TKH engine was originally built to 610mm gauge but later converted to 600mm gauge. The engine in the video appears to be somewhere in the 610/762mm range, certainly not 1067mm gauge.

Whatever it's gauge,  I reckon it's a rather lovely little engine - I'm a bit envious!   :)

Cheers,

Mark.

For those who don't know Toyo Kassei:

http://teramatiisejosai.travel.coocan.jp/toyokasei.html

Cheers NB

• Like 1