3D printing coming to staples

cteno4

interesting, staples wants to get into the 3D printing biz! the machines they are talking about using is a pretty unique design and under patent dispute thought... gives final scale resolution of about 5/8". 

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1394&doc_id=257141&cid=NL_Newsletters+-+DN+Daily&dfpPParams=ind_186,bid_26,aid_257141&dfpLayout=blog&dfpPParams=ind_186,bid_26,aid_257141&dfpLayout=blog

couple of other 3D printer articles

$500-800 extruded styrene at an inch or two scale resolution

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1394&doc_id=243851

http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

down to 2" scale resolution

http://Formlabs.com/products/our-printer  

3D is coming down in price!

cheers

jeff

I wonder they they're launching in Belgium and the Netherlands.  Dodging a patent issue, or is 3D really big over there?

It woud be pretty cool if they do it stateside.  I can't quite justify $2600 or even $800 for a 3D printer as I likely wouldn't use it enough (I'm still trying to justify $800 for a milling machine).  But if I could dash off a few things via the local Staples and work my way into it, I can see a lot of detail objects I'd want to do (bridge piers, railings and decorative trim all leap to mind; I have a pair of road bridges over my river to build).

Nowadays, when I purchase softwares I get nothing more than a download link.  I am saddened that I no longer get a printed manual, disks, or a CD.  But we live in an environmentally aware society, about which I am happy.

Perhaps in the future, when we purchase a new Kato model we will also get nothing more than a download link, from which we will print out our own model, box, instructions and sleeve.  Perhaps there will be no more shipping product too.  Perhaps you will print out your Tomix track, or design your own.

In 10 years time let us laugh together as we remember waiting for the delivery man.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I very much prefer a download link to a CD/DVD for software, especially since updates are so common now that reinstalling from a CD/DVD means you'll be downloading 1 or more patches that are about the same size as a full software download. Something like the Mac App Store is even better since I won't have to worry about finding all my bought software again, I just log on to the store and get a nice overview of what I've bought and what's already installed. (Of course, there are downsides as well, but in my case they're insignificant :))

As for 3D printing, I might have to give it a go once Staples starts accepting orders, but so far the only things I've seen that are high enough quality for N-scale are very expensive.

Shapeways already has a convenient 3D print service. But someone has to take the time to draw a 3D model first, which isn't easy and is time consuming. And as I have already demonstrated in another thread a 3D printer has a resolution like any printer, so a flat side might not be smooth because of the printing process. For small scales like Z it is a problem, but I also think you will be able to see the same in N scale. Even spray painting you will not get the same smooth finish as with injection moulded plastic.

Mr ianlaw.

My collegue tells me that such printers come with 3D scanner software attachment.  At least, some models.  He says, if you break a cup you can scan in another and the printer will print it out!  Amazing.

Ianlaw points to the core problem for 3D printing. The parts won't hold up as they have no material density. They fracture easily as the "printing" process cannot eliminate air pockets. To put the unit is a vacuum may eliminate air pockets but there still is the material density issue.

It is all about fusion.

For example A snow ball. take a snow and ball it up. Throw it at a window and it will splatter. Take that same snowball and squeeze it tight and it will break the window. The snow fuses to ice. Ice is snow with no air pockets.

Plastic Injection mold are placed in Tons of pressure and we still break those pieces. 

Now when we start molecular replication (Star Trek) then we are talking about something.

Inobu  

Edited by inobu