Deleting users does not remove their likes

CaptOblivious

So, deleted spam account "HakFadanawl" just now. cten04 pointed out to me that as he was spamming, he was also randomly "liking" posts. Well…deleting his account did not remove those likes. This is a small matter, but it is untidy…I wonder if this is something we can fix, or whether there is an option that needs to be set?

Example post:

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/6249-tenshodo-ho-6-car-set-shinkansen-500-got-a-new-toy-today/

Edited by CaptOblivious
CaptOblivious

I suppose we could, in the worst case, edit the database directly…indeed, probably the only option for handling this guy now that his account is deleted.

i guess the guy thought that if he liked our posts we would think he is a good guy and not turn him in for spamming...

jeff

What about only allowing likes after a day or week after registering? It's not that they can't post but at least this problem will hopefully (partly) be solved.

Martijn Meerts

I'll check out the like system, and see if I can limit it so that 'new members' can't like posts. 'New members' automatically get promoted to 'members' after 7 days, after which they can also edit their signature.

Looking in the members list there are quite a few members with rather suspicious member names (seemingly random). Might it be an idea to automatically delete accounts after a certain period of inactivity unless they have posted something? It might clean up the database a bit.

• Like 1

Just an example: there is a member, named DGabor89. He has no comments, no activity, so after his name we can delete this user easily. But. This nick is familiar to me, he is a Hungarian N-Gauger, I saw his name on other Hungarian forum. I know that he is reading this forum, sometimes I can see him in online status in this homepage.

So how would you handle this issue? I do not know is it good or bad if we have some members who are 'just' reading.

Beside of this I agree that somehow the false or spam registrations should be deleted.

• Like 1
CaptOblivious
Just an example: there is a member, named DGabor89. He has no comments, no activity, so after his name we can delete this user easily. But. This nick is familiar to me, he is a Hungarian N-Gauger, I saw his name on other Hungarian forum. I know that he is reading this forum, sometimes I can see him in online status in this homepage. So how would you handle this issue? I do not know is it good or bad if we have some members who are 'just' reading. Beside of this I agree that somehow the false or spam registrations should be deleted.

IST, good to know! I might've deleted him!

Does the forurm track a last-access date?  If someone who's never posted doesn't access the forum for a year, I'd say it's safe to delete them.  That would at least age out the really idle accounts.  And I don't think it's likely to hurt to keep a year's worth of inactive accounts around.  Databases are pretty efficient.

• Like 2
CaptOblivious
Does the forurm track a last-access date?  If someone who's never posted doesn't access the forum for a year, I'd say it's safe to delete them.  That would at least age out the really idle accounts.  And I don't think it's likely to hurt to keep a year's worth of inactive accounts around.  Databases are pretty efficient.

It does. And that is a good idea.

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

We have around 1000 registered members, many of those aren't very active. But the server hardware can easily handle millions of inactive accounts :)

Most recent activity is tracked by the forum software, but we have to check what they mean with activity. I know some forums consider 'activity' posting something, and just logging on doesn't count as being active. So we need to do a little research before potentially deleting valued members.

CaptOblivious

It does keep track of last login. However, right now, the earliest date is just a couple of weeks ago, so not much data yet, as many regular members have "never logged in"!

With the old forum software there were accounts that made let's say two years ago and someone logged in once on the day the account was made and never logged in again. Those are the kind of account we don't want but it's unfortunate that the last logged in data was lost. (I presume so)

Ken - You mean haven't logged in for a year I presume?

Right.

Martijn has a good point: aside from the small chance that its tying up a name someone else wants to use, a no-longer-in-use account that has never posted isn't going to be a real drag on resources to a database.  Not unless there's tens of thousands of them (and probably not then). It's probably better, and definitely simpler, to just ignore them.

A spam account that's actually left "likes" lying around is another matter, getting back to the original point of this thread.  I think there needs to be some way to remove those "likes" (I got one of them, and I find it a little bit irritating to have something I know is fake attached to one of my posts, even if it's only one word).

If it can't be removed, so be it.  But we ought to add to the do-someday list: delete "likes" when deleting account.

Well maybe the chap wandered in here to spam, spammed a couple of times, then got interested in the forum and started liking posts! ;-p

Jeff