Ikebe Station - An automated Kintetsu shelf layout

Darklighter

I've been planning to build a small automated Kintetsu layout for quite some time. A few weeks ago I found a nice little station that suits my project perfectly: Ikebe Station on the Tawaramoto Line. I'm not going to build an exact model of this station, but there will be lots of similarities (at least I hope so).

Trackplan

I haven't decided on the final track plan yet, but there will be a single slightly curved track. :grin

The layout dimensions will be approx. 15 x 125 cm (6" x 4') plus an unsceniced staging track on each side (length: approx. 80 cm). 

Benchwork

1" foam resting on a simple frame built of steel L profiles. The frame will rest on two shelf brackets. The staging tracks will rest on DVD shelves.

Layout Lighting

Warm white LED strips attached to a valance.

Rolling stock

As Kintetsu Series 8400 3-car sets are not available, a Micro Ace Kintetsu Series 8000 4-car set (preordered) will have to do the job. I will equip the cars with interior lighting.

Originally, I wanted to use my Greenmax Kintetsu Series 2610 kit, but the power unit is too noticeable for my taste.

Structures

I will use mainly Greenmax kits (Small StationApartment BuildingResidence Assemble Set). The buildings will feature interior lighting. The lights will be turned on and off randomly. Furthermore, there will be an automatic level crossing.

Control and Automation

I'm going to control the layout with my Digitrax Zephyr Xtra. The train will be equipped with a Lenz Silver+ Mini, as automation will be accomplished by employing the Lenz ABC system. However, I will use DIY braking modules (published in German magazine "Miba" (07/2005 and 01/2006)) instead of the expensive modules offered by Lenz. (I've already finished building all necessary braking modules (2x "BM1" + 2x "BM2") and they seem to work fine.)

More to come soon...

• Like 4

ohhh as Hannibal Smith would say, I love it when a plan comes together! sounds very fun, keep us posted, its really interesting and useful for us to see how it evolves as the pitfalls and solutions are really great learning spots for everyone!

cheers,

jeff

If it's a single track automated layout, why use DCC at all?  Why not just use one of the back-and-forth DC controllers.  Or are you planning something more complex?

Good point, Ken. My requirements for the control are:

• alllows automatic shuttling between the staging tracks and stopping at the station
  • constant lighting
  • realistic acceleration and deceleration rates
  • simplicity
  • low price

DCC in conjunction with the ABC system seems to be the best compromise, at least in my case. I have to admit, the implementation of the ABC system wasn't as easy as I expected and there are still some problems to solve (as I don't want to install multiple Silver+ mini decoders, head and tail lights have to be connected to the decoder in the motorized car; the breaking modules causing the stop at the station have to be controlled by a timer (this timer will be integrated into the circuit that controls the lights in the buildings)). 

Concerning the "low price": I already have a DCC command station and as I also want to run the train on my main layout, I would install a decoder sooner or later. So it's basically an extra cost of around 10€ for the Lenz decoder (27€ instead of 17€ for a cheap Digitrax decoder) plus around 10€ for the home-made breaking modules.