Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

4 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Amazing stuff... Could see that a lot of research has to be done in order that the trains do not hit the platforms.. Also, longer nose trains might be an issue to even run pass the curved platforms, but nevertheless amazing to save space for a station on a small layout! 

Actually Tomytec makes curved side platforms for 280 and 317 mm curves. In this case the maximal inner and outer overhang has to be calculated for the rolling stock that will be in use, including the dynamic envelope of the moving cars. For constant radius curves, these two values will also be constants from the track centers.

4 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

That's Tomy, I've subscribed to his channel for sometime now. His diorama is great, although I suspect it might be a rental layout. 🙂

It's his own layout, build as modules and filmed from clever angles:

• Like 7

Latest from yukikazeful.

The size of this layout is 2700 mm × 1500 mm, and the rail uses the product of PECO. The sound being used is for production and may differ from the actual vehicle.

Dust cover for his layout.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 9

Not sure about the latest.  Sammy showed us that layout about 2 years ago.  When he was in his old apartment and looking for way to protect a layout from dust.  I love the layout itself.  And have had plans to copy it when I finally get my butt into gear and built it.

Jaw dropping goodness!

Cant put a finger if it is N or HO scale... looks too good to be N yet some aspects like the vehicles still look like N... 

Blinker lights included, a massive highway with toll station, all lighted up vehicles... super. 

• Like 4

Definitely not N, presumably HO. This is a diorama at Isuzu Plaza . Search "いすゞプラザ ジオラマ" for more images.

Edited by Densha
Staff Comment: Removed Unnecessary Quote
  • Thanks 1
  • Densha changed the title to Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

Absolutely stunning ship models! Thanks densha. First couple of looks I could have sworn it was a real picture. They guy does a great job on his photography as well. Ship models are made the old fashion way with ribs and strips and then lots of putty and hand sanding. Making a small ferry and those types of small freighters has always been on my list.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cfueloil

jeff

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, Densha said:

What?? That's a model? I thought it was a real photo! Amazing stuff!

9 hours ago, railsquid said:

Definitely not N, presumably HO. This is a diorama at Isuzu Plaza . Search "いすゞプラザ ジオラマ" for more images.

I see... was wondering how he got in some many electronics into the small N scale... Isuzu plaza... interesting. It has enough Isuzu trucks and buses to actually make me wanna go for a visit... haha 

Nice, lots o track there wirh a folded, folded figure 8! Not much room for structures, but can’t have lots of track and also buildings in a small layout, aleays tradeoffs.

jeff

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:52 AM, railsquid said:

Interesting little layout packing an awful lot into a tatami's worth of space: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q254144367. Some more photos here: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ABnXp8fGOcykIZc&id=7339AE0B7878C4D!68965&cid=07339AE0B7878C4D.  Note this is a Yahoo auctions link so dunno how long it will be available.

Didn't realise this but congrats on the promotion!  🙂

On 12/31/2018 at 1:46 PM, shadowtiger25 said:

wow, I think this is basically what I have been planning.

Interesting video. Two things stand out as being truly inspirational. The cliffs are exceptionally well done. Also his hanging vines on the bridges and tunnels are very good. Hit river is very good but needs a bit more of a gloss touch. 

(disclaimer - I'm criticizing, modeling that is far above my skill level to replicate. Like when a couch potato criticizes a professional athlete. But I think we can be hyper-critical when choosing our inspiration).

Also interesting is his camera technique. He creates a queasy feeling of closeness by tilting the camera. But he overdoes it. If he tilted gently enough for it to be imperceptible I think it would have the same effect without being so distracting. But that's just a hunch. In general I think these camera tricks are better when they're subliminal. 

On 3/24/2018 at 9:11 AM, bill937ca said:

Here's a layout with a JR Freight container yard diorama including run around tracks and  done with Tomix track.

From 1:25 to 2:40 the video demonstrates what appears to be automatic coupling and decoupling. Anyone know how this is done? Onboard motor? Under layout magnets? 

At first look I t looks like old fashion rapidos (hard to see though) and using an electromagnet to push up that rerailer slat and thus on the decoupling pins under the rapidos. Rapido use to make one of these mechanical/electromagnet uncouplers that was a little arc of metal that would pop up about 1/8” in the middle of the tracks when the electromagnet was energized. If you did this just as a coupler set was approaching and rolling over it, it would lift up the first coupler and decouple them. Very simple, but I’ve not seen modern ones of it.

but when watching you see the engines front coupler pop up at the very end of the rerailer section there with no movement of the rerailer bar, more like coupler is responding to magnet to pop up. Kaydee couplers and the like use the two metal hose wires to push apart to decouple rather than lift them up. Also I don’t see any of the rapido coupler pins sticking down, but hard to see in the video

when looking around quickly I found this cleaver chap using the tiny 2mm neodymium magnets glued on the underside of a rapido coupler and then an electromagnet under the track to pop it up. Neat, want to experiment with that sometime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2