Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

On 3/24/2018 at 10:11 AM, bill937ca said:

Here's a layout with a JR Freight container yard diorama including run around tracks and  done with Tomix track.

Wow- I was about to link this one- I actually am using this as inspiration for my own layout- It fits a lot of the goals I was hoping for as my first intermodal yard.

Thanks for the tip about it being Tomix, that explains some things that didn't want to work with Unitrack!

I've redesigned it to fit the limited space I have using Unitrack and #4's, but it's still a bit of a work in progress as I rework the underside and decide what to do with the empty areas:

large.JRF-Corner-Final.png.8905d4d578d8b6b0700a9f3319cb2f0c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another Showa era layout.  This is an older blog (mostly 2010-2015) with a  production log showing how he does individual pieces of the layout.  It started out as a 900 x 750  mm layout , then a couple of additions were made still leaving a very compact layout.  There is a transfer station, a terminal station with garage, a branch line with terminal station and an intermediate station. He mentions R103 and R140 as the layout was done for smaller minor railway stock.  Lots of Railway Collection and Kato items among the buildings. His train shed was built from two Tomytec single track sheds. Unfortunately he keeps his photos small as they must have been copied widely.   This is a very thorough, complete layout.

This is his layout introduction including a plan:

https://ameblo.jp/nari-nori2837/entry-11451099657.html

A list of articles 

https://ameblo.jp/nari-nori2837/entrylist.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Another Showa era layout.  This is an older blog (mostly 2010-2015) with a  production log showing how he does individual pieces of the layout.  It started out as a 900 x 750  mm layout , then a couple of additions were made still leaving a very compact layout.  There is a transfer station, a terminal station with garage, a branch line with terminal station and an intermediate station. He mentions R103 and R140 as the layout was done for smaller minor railway stock.  Lots of Railway Collection and Kato items among the buildings. His train shed was built from two Tomytec single track sheds. Unfortunately he keeps his photos small as they must have been copied widely.   This is a very thorough, complete layout.

This is a great resource!  If you click on the photos they do get a bit bigger, more than large enough to be useful.

• Like 1

A few photos taken last week at Tomix World, Omiya.

These tiny dioramas are a real inspiration to those of us that are space-constrained. Also, I really like the use of the retaining walls to raise the track.

Ian

Tomix1.jpg

Tomix2.jpg

Tomix3.jpg

Tomix4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A nice 1 tatami size  layout with a three track station at the front fed by curved turnouts,  nicely illuminated after dark and lots of interesting scenes,

Camera car front view:

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 6
27 minutes ago, Densha said:

An interesting trackplan:

And another one from a post on the same blog:

doraemon2.png.30788601c151180c960ead1989e773ea.png   

doraemon1.thumb.png.cecd000928ce3a410291f06203e90bee.png

Just add or remove one S248 (the same length of the covered platform) based on your taste and available space. (the layout would pretty much looks the same with Tomix tracks)

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Densha said:

An interesting trackplan:

I actually really like it.

If you placed the power feed between the turnouts. Then the bridge section would be unpower if both points are in the reverse posotion.

So you can have two trains point to point station to station. And another along the bridge section also doing in loop.

• Like 2
Patrick McGrath

The only problem I have with a track plan like this is the amount of hidden track. Looks like half the time your train would be in a tunnel. Although I suppose one could do the scenery different and expose the track more. 

• Like 1
Patrick McGrath

By the way, this whole "Inspirational Layout" thread is one of my favorite parts of this forum. Some really amazing model work out there.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Amazing... the guy's a genius, installing such a complex system in his attic! 

I wonder about what did he use for train detection? Track occupancy and maget sensors come to my mind as i can't see any threadle sensors around the balises.

Amazing stuff... Could see that a lot of research has to be done in order that the trains do not hit the platforms.. Also, longer nose trains might be an issue to even run pass the curved platforms, but nevertheless amazing to save space for a station on a small layout!