Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

I thought it was part of the Poppondetta store but I didn't know what it was exactly for as I have walked past it a number of times.

I have developed a theory that some of the scenic stuff in the Poppondetta 2nd hand section is surplus from that operation.

Another professional diorama builder, this one Popo Pro which is part of the Poponettta Group. They have done layouts for the Greenmax store in Nagoya (which is in the same building as a Popondetta store) and JR East.

http://www.popondetta.com/diorama_order_made.html

Would this be the greatest job in the world to have or is it just me...? Of course the deadlines might be a bit rough but I don't mind a deadline if I'm doing something I have a passion for. 

Wonder what he used for the tunnel tubing?

Looks like standard pvc pipes cut with a saw to me. The station is cut to sit flat and the rest is suspended with what looks like postal tape.

Imho this is one build that only makes sense if you have a camera train.

cool footage from the camera. I was getting nervous going through the pipes and I wasn't even a passenger!

I was more interested in the "flyover", which is rarely modeled - likely due to the space required.

It must be a real hassle if you have a derailment in one of those tubes.

Cute! Like how the intend storage shelf to go is individually lit. Wonder if he has it tied to the point control?

Jeff

If he was really innovative, instead of the helix the display shelves would rotate vertically - sort of like a store display, so all of them could connect directly with a track on any level ;-)

Just the ticket! 

Even though the rails weren't perfectly aligned heightwise, no derailments.

For the man with more trains (and money) than layout space ;-)

There have been elevators, rotating barrels, and orbiting display tray versions of this done...

The sweet thing with the helix is it's a very simple system with no fancy mechanics needed that can be hard to make and also very fickle... helix is pretty solid once built and allows long display tracks w.o having increase the length of the elevator mech. Long trains can also move between his two layout levels in one run.

Jeff

A small layout with a loop, a local passenger shuttle service, and a free-form bus line. 

Two questions:

1.  What's that RDC doing there, and why no pause before reversing?

2.  What's with that creepy, huge dead tree on top of the hill?

This concept could be greatly improved with a Tomix 5563 - or two.

Edited by velotrain
  • Like 2

A small layout with a loop, a local passenger shuttle service, and a free-form bus line. 

Two questions:

1.  What's that RDC doing there, and why no pause before reversing?

Its a bump and go mechanism.  When the bumper hits a solid object it reverses direction.  Very common on O-gauge speeders and trolleys (LIonel and MTH). In Japan I assume its a model railroad technology novelty.

Jerry Pilachowski video.

The MTH trolley will also run as a conventional trolley. (My video).

Edited by bill937ca

Actually looks like current sensing reverser circuit as there looks to be some rail gaps there in the end section. The simple ones of these just reverse when triggered by the tram hitting the isolated end tracks. Nicer ones have a pause and reverse. There are a number of ways to skin that cat.

Not sure what the dead tree thing is, bust be of some significance to the modeler as it's a prominent feature. It is good sized.

Jeff

I wasn't questioning what it is but why he's using such an unsophisticated device.  The upper terminus appears to be a station of sorts (I see what I take to be a platform, but no obvious station building), so it would be good to have the car pause there.  I also wish the lower reversing point wasn't just a siding in the middle of nowhere - maybe a small shrine in the corner?

I think he has an interesting design and did good scenery work, but with a little more effort could have had a greatly improved layout.  With two trains and the bus line, there's a lot going on in a small space.

• Like 1

Not sure how to embed a video, but here's a pretty nice automated DC layout.

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

For YouTube you just need to paste in the full youtube.com link from the browser, not any of their abbreviated YouTu.be links. If you are on a mobile device delete the m. before YouTube.com (i.e. m.youtube.com >> YouTube.com).

That should do it. Once the forum software gets updated hopefully it should recognize all the current YouTube link variants.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

For YouTube you just need to paste in the full youtube.com link from the browser, not any of their abbreviated YouTu.be links. If you are on a mobile device delete the m. before YouTube.com (i.e. m.youtube.com >> YouTube.com).

That should do it. Once the forum software gets updated hopefully it should recognize all the current YouTube link variants.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!  Mystery solved!

adrianKeith

Hey all,

A few weeks back I found a link/post with a bunch of photos of people who had built various scenes using this oval track. 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10303365

Its not much to work with but I just don't have any space in my place for anything bigger at the moment.

It looked like a "competition" of sorts. It was really neat seeing the variety of plants, buildings, etc that people put together. I'd love to use it as a source of inspiration for my own design.

Not sure where I saw it but can't seem to find it anymore. Anyone know where I might be able to find it?

I couldn't find the site you didn't bookmark, but have a clue, so perhaps someone else could track it down.

Bandai announces a RM Models B4 Grand Prix contest, using the B Train Shorty Layout Base.

http://bandai-hobby.net/train/btr/ngauge/rm_contest.html

RM Models issue #244 announces the contest results.  This blog summary of the issue includes a small scale reproduction of the relevant pages.

http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/rmm/archives/2015/10/rm_models2441021.html

• Like 1
adrianKeith

I couldn't find the site you didn't bookmark, but have a clue, so perhaps someone else could track it down.

Bandai announces a RM Models B4 Grand Prix contest, using the B Train Shorty Layout Base.

http://bandai-hobby.net/train/btr/ngauge/rm_contest.html

RM Models issue #244 announces the contest results.  This blog summary of the issue includes a small scale reproduction of the relevant pages.

http://rail.hobidas.com/blog/rmm/archives/2015/10/rm_models2441021.html

Thanks! This has already helped me find some other sites, hopefully I can stumble on the same one I saw before!