Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

Huh? I have my Modemo made Enoden trains run over R140 all the time without problems (albeit with a bit of crank-shaft grinding sound). Even coupled and over S-curves they do fine.

I have a Modemo Enoden articulated that never seemed to like any curves and there were many early complaints about them. Modemo does not have a perfect record on articulation.  Remember the Hiroden 5000?  Modemo had already issued 13 versions of the Enoshima articulateds when the C177 curves were released.

Edited by bill937ca

When this first appeared many of us had never seen the Tomytec Town Collection on a layout. You had to buy the whole collection of 5 to 10 buildings and there was always a mystery item that was never revealed before hand. At this time the Tomix Mini Rail C177 curves were still relatively new dating from August 2005. Later, Tomytec offered the buildings for individual sale and they became the Building Collection. My Modemo articulated cars would never go around curves like that so he must have modified them.

I believe what you see in the video above is an application of the Tomix 5563 TCS Automatic Operation which was new as of September 2005. It appears there is a plug in sensor blended in with the ballast at the station. Alternate trains stop and start at a scratch built model of Enoshima station. The 280-15 Y switch dated from April 2004.

I wasn't into Japanese trains yet at that point in time, but that's when you realize how spoilt we are actually nowadays, with so many Japanese model railway products available.

• Like 1

I like on some of his setups he does not have corner modules, he just a viaduct curve to connect straight modules with a single pylon supporting it! Adds some separation to the different modules and a big space saver in display and transport as corner modules are usually bulkier and odd shaped to do.

Jeff

Leaving out the corner modules also means less unrealistic narrow curves. Although it depends heavily on the type of railway you're modelling whether that's a good thing or not.

That looks like pieces of solid wire bent, glued down, painted yellow and then ballasted in. You can do a larger stretch by snaking the wire and glue it down by the bottom horizontal parts holding the barriers together.

They do look home made as kvp says. Easy to make a little jig by rounding edges of a bit of wood and use some soft wire to make them. To plant then you could use a thin layer of sculpy (polymer clay) to place them and then acc glue them well, then ballast. If you are using foam scenery base then just make them long and plunk into the foam.

There was a company (maybe platz?) had made a number of these barriers and other trackside details like this from etched metal.

Jeff

• Like 1

Yep!

Also stapes are a great source for fine but strong stock and they have more of a rectangular cross section that can be hard to find at that size. Do need to scrape the plastic off that glues the stack together. Used them a lot when I was young in modeling stuff! I think acetone solvated off the plastic/glue if memory serves me right.

Jeff

As seen in N Gauge Magazine #62, N gauge layout making Keikyū Daishi Line:

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 6

Thank you for those videos! This Keikyū Oshiire layout is a good example of how much detailing and so on can be done on a very small surface. The compromise to run half-length trains (4-car instead of 8-car) doesn't even feel like a compromise at all.

Here is one I posted before, which is a bit bigger than the Keikyū Oshiire layout (double maybe), but has a very interesting track plan (almost perfect IMO for this size) and automated running (without DCC). The only flaw I see in this track plan is that it's not possible to run in two directions on the leftmost loop track and have bi-directional looping traffic (only clockwise in this setup).

• Like 8
Eurostar25

They're fantastic, excellent detail and neatness in the small space. Even the figures are very well painted (perhaps bought I'm not sure) but nevertheless it's very well done

Modular layout based on the Izu Kyūkō Line:

I got a Summer 2013 N Gauge Magazine yesterday and it has a multi page write up about this module layout.  Show how he made it with track plan for one module and how all the modules join/link together.  I'll try to scan it or take photos of the pages.

• Like 3

Some of the pages about the module.

post-1782-0-93788300-1465337376_thumb.jpgpost-1782-0-04381400-1465337387_thumb.jpgpost-1782-0-08520000-1465337398_thumb.jpgpost-1782-0-51089200-1465337408_thumb.jpgpost-1782-0-81047600-1465337417_thumb.jpg

It also has automated signals and crossing lights.  And the bridges were done in 3D CAD with a printer and then constructed.

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing Katoftw. I'm always amazed at what people can do with a bit of plastics and fake shrubbery. That's a great layout. Now I want one just like it!

Edited by tossedman
Mudkip Orange

That's pretty much exactly what I daydream of building given unlimited time/budget/space. Thanks for the scans.

Not sure if I've seen this layout before, but certainly not this video, lots of street scene close-ups:

• Like 1