Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

Looks like he made his own true-to-scale 3'6" track

edit: maybe not.  The track shown in the video up to 3:45 or so appears to be handmade, but is it only for the purpose of modeling those larger ties that JR East uses around Tokyo?

Edited by miyakoji
7 hours ago, miyakoji said:

maybe not.  The track shown in the video up to 3:45 or so appears to be handmade, but is it only for the purpose of modeling those larger ties that JR East uses around Tokyo?

Considering how tall is that rail compared to the standard N scale tracks, i would say this could be narrow gauge track for some other, like H0 or 0 scale. Maybe there is more info on it somewhere?

3 hours ago, railsquid said:

Nice little layout:

Wow, thats some great work.  It looks like unitrack, but brown?  I assume thats painted, but wow the final effect looks nice.  I really appreciated the building photos and the inclusion of the track plan in the video.

Tomix fine track, but would work in unitrak. Very nice layout and track plan. A lot packed into a small layout but does not feel like a spaghetti bowl of track.

thanks squid!

jeff

He flashes Tomix on the screen, but I see Unitrack.  Check the power controllers and turnout controls along with the track plan.  Layout size is 1800 x 900 mm. The video also shows the track unpainted and then painted.

Track plan:

image.png.2192f55e0ddbd993f2f6b5d9d0c90478.png

Edited by bill937ca

Here's a similar layout. Its 2000 x 1000mm Tomix track and stations.  The compact elevated station is mounted on 4046 ticket gate or 4047 overhead railway station base. The track base is a Tomix 3061 S140-37 base clipped onto the 4046 for 4047.  The platforms are Tomix 4031 with the 4032 extension kit. (Been there, down this!) There are stations like this on the Nankai Electric Railway in Osaka.

Tomix 5563 auto controllers but lots of Kato trains apparently. (Bookcases show under the table.)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10028717/70/1

A second video that shows the scenery details better.  There is a container siding (beside the yard). a triangular station bus foyer, and a bus garage in a corner.  

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4

Imho both layouts have great scenery and both have choosen stops and a yard (or sidings) instead of having at least one larger (4 tracks) station. The double folded loops seems to be the most common way of having a longer run (the other being the folded balloon loops). This approach allows 2 trains on the 2 loops or 4 with blocks and automation. Imho the latter is a bit more interesting, but not much is possible operational. Both have storage sidings for 4 trains, with the second layout having a more realistic common yard for both loops.

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1
Das Steinkopf
11 hours ago, railsquid said:

Nice little layout:

It's really well done layouts like this that make me start to contemplate the sort of layout I would like to have, I am torn between having something that is inspired by an actual location and modelled in a more realistic fashion which has less track but taking up heaps of space, or a compact layout like this where you can have heaps of fun running trains.

Always tradeoffs! I liked this one as even with a lot of track it didn’t feel too crammed with track and some nice scene spaces allowed. Also those 4 tracks on one corner also had a nice feel of big track operations in a small scene space. Folded loops can really get a long running track and also a bit of not feeling like the train is going in loops as they pop around to seemingly different tracks and the corner tunnel mixes this up further.

jeff

5 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

It's really well done layouts like this that make me start to contemplate the sort of layout I would like to have, I am torn between having something that is inspired by an actual location and modelled in a more realistic fashion which has less track but taking up heaps of space, or a compact layout like this where you can have heaps of fun running trains.

Maybe both? Like having one small scene modelled faithfully and the rest around it arranged in a fun way.

Here's a layout with a JR Freight container yard diorama including run around tracks and  done with Tomix track.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 7
Das Steinkopf
10 minutes ago, kvp said:

Maybe both? Like having one small scene modelled faithfully and the rest around it arranged in a fun way.

I am currently working out the design for an Keihan Keishin layout that will have two sides, one will depict the old section of the line going through Kujoyama that I will run my vintage Keihan Keishin stock on, the other side will feature a portion of the line running up the highway in Otsu and part of Kamisakaemachi Eki. So far it looks like it will take up about 4' x 8' which will have hidden tracks for the 800 Series and any of the 600' Series or 700 Series in the wrapping liveries to run into to avoid going through the Kujoyama portion of the line. On the section that runs through Kujoyama I will have it terminate with a crossover so I can have the trains running in a prototypical up and down operation, the Otsu/Kamisakaemachi section will have a continuous circuit as well as a crossover in the hidden section so I can either run trains prototypically or just let them run in circles. 

I am planning on doing a Iidasen layout later on but with an alternate history where freight services are still running, this is the one I am struggling with as I would like to have the Misakubo #6 bridge as part of the layout and then have a freight terminal based around Tenryukyo. Given the amount of freight stock I now have as well as locomotives I am really tempted to have the freight terminal with a locomotive depot based around Gifu/Nagoya where I could have mainline freight running as well as JR Tokai passenger services.

• Like 1

This is the Kato Tokyo layout and showroom. Its a beautiful way to show off model trains and create interest in the hobby.

This second video is a much longer tour of the Tokyo showroom and retail outlet taken in 2014. It starts with former Keikyu car 268 and then goes inside what then was a newly reopened facility. 

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4

The Kato Hobby Center is indeed a nice shop.

Although prices are not so good they have a huge selection of spare parts. If you plan to buy somehting there bring one of your Kato trains along, I got an voucher to use one of the layouts on the second floor for buying a replacement motor for an EF64.

I would recomend to combine it with a trip to Nakano Broadway which has 3-4 VERY good second hand train shops.

• Thanks 1
Das Steinkopf

The other day whilst having major contemplations about which way to go with layout design I decided to make a major switch and go for a freight yard in a more urban scene, as part of that I decided to order the Aoshima Danchi and Greenmax 2152 Condominium sets that will form part of the background. Whilst having a look around at a number of Danchi for some inspiration I came across this absolute gem of a micro layout/diorama and was amazed with the level of detail and realism that had been achieved.

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/ue_r/imgs/6/5/65e4106d.jpg

Link to the blog here with more photos and video.  

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ue_r/archives/2016-07-18.html

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 6