This is more in the nature of a feature request than a bug.

In the old system, when I pasted in a "smily" it appeared in text with a word representing what it was supposed to mean. I found that helpful in two ways: first, my eyesight isn't that great, and it was really good feedback when I clicked the wrong one.  Second, it helped me select an appropriate one (although mainly I just used the default "grin") when I wasn't sure what the picture was likely to convey to others.

It would be really cool if there were rollovers for both the selection menu and for inline :) that gave a name.  Presently there's only a rollover for the inline one, and it shows that the basic smile is a colon followed by a paren, but doesn't say what that's supposed to mean, for those of us who aren't deeply indoctrinated in the way of the emoticon.

Speaking as a character-set purist, it would be cool if the standard UTF emoticons were supported (see the wikipedia page for a link to a PDF at the bottom of the page). And since we're a Japan-centric site, I have to wonder why all of the Emoji in UTF aren't included.

I'll admit, 99.9% of the time, all I need is :) and I'll be happy.

Also, speaking as an old-school computer user, use of :) in place of :-) (the original ARPA smiley) just seems wrong. But I can live with that. :)

Martijn Meerts

I'll add tooltips on the emoticons to the list ...

And while we're a Japanese site, the forum software isn't, so by default they're not included. I can see if there's some sort of add-on which adds them, otherwise it'd be a lot of manual labour for something that probably doesn't see a lot of use ;)

I don't really think we need emoji, I was just making fun of it a bit. We can always grab them from the wikipedia list.