Modemo trains on Peco Code 55 track

acousticco

Howdy Folks,

Is anyone here running any Modemo trains on Peco Code 55 track?  I'm having trouble with wheels dropping into the frogs, which is enough to stop them dead, especially in reverse.  Has anyone come up with an easy way to modify these switches to cure this?

Thanks,

-Cody

Darren Jeffries

Howdy Folks,

Is anyone here running any Modemo trains on Peco Code 55 track?  I'm having trouble with wheels dropping into the frogs, which is enough to stop them dead, especially in reverse.  Has anyone come up with an easy way to modify these switches to cure this?

Thanks,

-Cody

I would be interested to know this also. I have run everything else but Modemo on Code 55.... Not had an issue yet, but i will want to incorporate a railbus system into my city scene and Modemo make some nice buses.

Guest bill937ca

Small Modemo trams are generally four wheel pickup, AFAIK.  So if they hit a dead spot at low speed they may stall.  Other Modemo trams like the Tokyu 300 series have eight wheel pickup and run better.

I generally drive my small Modemo trams like the real thing--power on, power off--increasing the power just before switch points.  That's one advantage of the Tomix 5512 controller.

Small Modemo trams are generally four wheel pickup, AFAIK.  So if they hit a dead spot at low speed they may stall.  Other Modemo trams like the Tokyu 300 series have eight wheel pickup and run better.

I generally drive my small Modemo trams like the real thing--power on, power off--increasing the power just before switch points.  That's one advantage of the Tomix 5512 controller.

Thanks Bill,

It's actually not an electrical pick up issue, it's the wheel actually falling into the gap in the frog and getting stuck (I didn't word my original post very well).  I think is worse in reverse because (in my case anyway) the powered unit will be pushing an unpowered car which can't 'pull itself out'.  I figure the main reason for this problem is that Peco switches are designed for European models which tend to have much deeper flanges than (some) Japanese and (most) North American models.  The deeper flanges can run along the bottom of the frog which keeps them from wobbling...

I find that Modemo models tend to be a little tight in gauge, but the wheels can be spread by sticking a small screwdriver between the wheel and the truck and gently twisting it to widen the gauge.  I've run them on Atlas code 55 switches with no problems.

-Cody