Kuala Lumpur Trains, Malaysia

Eisenbahn

Here are some photos of some of the new trains and rail infrastructure in Kuala Lumpur.

Traditionally Malaysia is a 1000mm gauge country. However the new airport line is standard gauge (25kvac) . There are two new standard gauge suburban , one of which is driverless but both are third rail DC.

One new suburban/regional line is 1000mm and 25kvac.

The station pictured is on the new airport line.

Malaysia is doing long haul track duplication projects in 1000mm gauge along with a choice of 25kvac electrification.

There are plenty of wikipedia articles for those wanting more detailed technical information.

There is a touch on touch off card system in KL which makes it easy to get around. Generally the new stations work well. However  several of the monorail stations could use more stairs, elevators, escalators etc.

[smg id=1597]

[smg id=1596]

[smg id=1595]

[smg id=1594]

[smg id=1593]

[smg id=1592]

[smg id=1591]

[smg id=1590]

[smg id=1589]

• Like 1

The company behind the KL Monorail will be manufacturing the rolling stock for one of Sao Paulo's future monorail lines.

Cheers NB

They are quite good to ride on in KL and they seem to have a small footprint to weave between buildings. The only issue with them in KL is at some monorail stations that interconnect with suburban rail stations the interconnecting walkways could be better. Compromises are made when new rail routes are added and owned by different train operating companies.

cheers....Eisenbahn

Your photos are reminding me of my visit to Singapore and Malaysia on the way back from China in 2007.

Did you notice the cast builders plates inside the Ampang line cars proclaiming they were built by Walkers in Maryborough. I did a tour through walkers plant years ago and saw them being built.

Walkers, eh. Fancy that.  I will look for the plaque next visit.

The photos of Bangkok, KL & Singapore I just posted where taken in a bit of a rush.  A few weeks ago , I was in each place for only a few hours and took them on the run on my way between the airports and the CBD or Hotel. I am going up again mid February and will have more time to ride the networks and get some properly framed shots. I am particularly interested in the Rawang-Seremban 1000mm 25kvac line in KL...... in particular the ride quality for a regional train at speed on such a narrow gauge.

I posted one photo of that particular train which I got while waiting for the Airport train on another platform at Bandar-Tasik-Seletan station. I might get myself a better camera before then. The Nikon Coolpix I have is at the budget end of the scale and I find it hard to use in stations which are partly sheltered but where bight sun comes in at the end of platforms. The photos Dabsan added to my post of the Bangkok Skytrain were much clearer and sharper.

Do you use a DSLR for your photography?

Here are some more photos from Kuala Lumpur.

This is Salak Tinggi Station on the new Airport Line. (Standard Gauge)

[smg id=1603]

The  new KL Sentral Station

[smg id=1605]

The front view from a driverless train

[smg id=1606]

An Ampang Line Train (LIght Rail) (Standard Gauge) at Chan Sow Lin Station

[smg id=1604]

Bandar Tasik Seletan Station is actually three stations side by side coupled by an overhead walkway. I took the photo from an Airport line platform

The train at the middle Station is on the Rawang-Seremban 1000mm 25kvac line. The next station over is the Ampang Line(Standard Gauge light rail)

[smg id-1607]

Walkers, eh. Fancy that.   I will look for the plaque next visit.

The photos of Bangkok, KL & Singapore I just posted where taken in a bit of a rush.  A few weeks ago , I was in each place for only a few hours and took them on the run on my way between the airports and the CBD or Hotel. I am going up again mid February and will have more time to ride the networks and get some properly framed shots. I am particularly interested in the Rawang-Seremban 1000mm 25kvac line in KL...... in particular the ride quality for a regional train at speed on such a narrow gauge.

I posted one photo of that particular train which I got while waiting for the Airport train on another platform at Bandar-Tasik-Seletan station. I might get myself a better camera before then. The Nikon Coolpix I have is at the budget end of the scale and I find it hard to use in stations which are partly sheltered but where bight sun comes in at the end of platforms. The photos Dabsan added to my post of the Bangkok Skytrain were much clearer and sharper.

Do you use a DSLR for your photography?

I was using a Panasonic FZ50 on that trip but for the last couple of years I've been taking the photos on my trips with my Sony Video camera.

post-218-1356993170877_thumb.jpg

hi Westfalen

1. The photos you post are of good quality so your cameras and your operation of them deliver the results. I have been wondering whether or not to go to a DSLR but perhaps just something a bit better than my  entry level Nikon Coolpix might be adequate. I prefer something small and light and easy to travel with.

The standard of photography on this Forum is quite good. I suspect some regular contributors of photos to the Forum have DSLRs.

2. That was a good photo Walkers Manufacturers Plate on the Ampang Train.  Walkers has been a good engineering works over the years. I saw the CEO of the new Owners of Walkers (downer-edi) on a TV business program say that they did not put in a bid for the new version of EMUs for Queensland. Strange!! He went on to say that they had felt a bit of pain over the latest lot of NSW trains they built. I hope that walkers Maryborough ( whoever their owners are) continues to build trains.

3. I see you were in Singapore and Malaysia in 2007. There is always a lot of interesting things to see on visits there. The KLIA Airport Express would have been in operation then as well. It is quite a good way to rocket into downtown KL even if more expensive that the Singapore Airport train. The main changes since 2007 will be more hotels! KL now has a touchon touch off card that works across the entire network of the several train operating companies there.

I caught the train between Singapore and KL (glad I saw the old Singapore station while it was still in operation), daylight up and overnight back but I rode the new line out to the airport and back during the two days I was there. I stayed at the hotel in the old KL station, it was like something out of a movie.

I just read the Wikipedia article on the original 1910 KL station. It mentions the Heritage Hotel there. In February I will have more time and will go to the old station and photograph it. The Moorish architecture is a style I have never seen before.  You can just see the Station Tower at the left side of the photo I posted "Front view from a driverless train". The new KL Sentral Station is air conned ,multi level tracks and gives good people flows etc etc but it doesnt have the character of the old station. Staying at the Heritage Hotel was a good idea. The old station  has Commuter trains and having your hotel actually at a station is always a plus.

The Airport Express train is a good  57km ride through the Palm Plantations. It goes like a rocket! New route, modern track, standard gauge, 4-carEmu, 25kvac. All the ingredients for a smooth fast ride!  The line has its own stables and  what looks like a new maintenance base,  along the way.