N-Scale shunting work with Russian locos !

vadimav

TOPIC:  N-Scale shunting work with Russian locos !

Hello.

Recently, i ve finished work of converting Russian VL80 from stationary model, using KATO p42 chassis.

Also I installed knuckle loco uncouplers and sound.

Now, You can see small videoklip, where changing loco and backuping train for servicing are showed.

VIDEO:

How to made? - see my pictures:

Model:

0_82b69_92176f8a_XL

Chasis:

0_82b67_fadaa761_XL

Sound:

0_82b6a_44003931_XL

-----------

Vadim

• Like 5

Thanks, but it's only my hobby. My main work is molecular biology. I m an physicist-researcher. But it's not so moneyfull work.

-----
Vadim

Vadim,

Ha! I was molecular biology as well. Phd at berkeley then took the left turn into multimedia education after post doc years ago. Small world, don't bump into may molecular biologists. Our JRM club here does have a bioinformatics person at the national library of medicine.

Cheers

Jeff

LOL, 

I knew there was more too it when I went to the LHS asking for beryllium copper................they had that look  ??? ,

As for me I'm in Miniscule Lieology - (The study of little white lies)  :dontknow: - just trying to be one of the guys too.

As always Vadim your projects are amazing.

Inobu

Edited by inobu

Sir: 

As this Hobby Link Japan website shows, a Japanese company called Good Smile Company release a 1:150 scale Soyuz rocket on its transporter: https://hlj.com/1-150-scale-plastic-model-soyuz-rocket-transport-train-gsc93367. In the course of assembly, I've replaced the fixed wheels with N-scale trucks; it rolls perfectly on the provided model base. This, of course, has got me thinking about the possibility of building a larger N-scale diorama with working locomotive.

I'm trying to ID the type of diesel locomotives used here: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz-ms-08.html (scroll down). They are possibly TE1s or later variants. Hoping to get a more accurate fix on that. 

Then the question is are they available in N-scale, powered or unpowered. 

Any leads?

• Like 1

The locomotive are of the "TEM2UM" (ТЭМ2УМ) type. (A variant of the TEM2U with a different motor, the TEM2U is itself an upgraded version (different cab style/technology used) of the standard TEM2.)

The Wikipedia articles provide some info but need to be translated using Google Translate or similar:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/ТЭМ2

As for models I have only found pictures and videos of some handcrafted/3D-printed ones but there are no mass produced models as it seems

Edited by Gryphr
On 11/2/2018 at 6:51 PM, DanielMackay said:

Sir: 

As this Hobby Link Japan website shows, a Japanese company called Good Smile Company release a 1:150 scale Soyuz rocket on its transporter: https://hlj.com/1-150-scale-plastic-model-soyuz-rocket-transport-train-gsc93367. In the course of assembly, I've replaced the fixed wheels with N-scale trucks; it rolls perfectly on the provided model base.

Wow. WOW! Love to see that roll on a layout!

What N-scale trucks work? Pictures please?

Edited by sandiway
On 11/5/2018 at 12:34 PM, sandiway said:

Wow. WOW! Love to see that roll on a layout!

What N-scale trucks work? Pictures please?

The Good Smile kit is well detailed, but a "snap-together" kit. The included rail wheels are non-moving pieces. The wheels and bogies are cast in place; there are no axles included with the kit. I stopped off at my local hobby shop to assess replacing with N-scale rolling parts. Standard American freight bogies are a close match, and roll freely in the track base that comes with the kit. I'll post pictures; I hope to be working on this kit later today.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DanielMackay said:

Standard American freight bogies are a close match, and roll freely in the track base that comes with the kit. I'll post pictures; I hope to be working on this kit later today.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures. Also, what bogies worked would be nice, so I can go online and find them.

2 hours ago, sandiway said:

Looking forward to seeing those pictures. Also, what bogies worked would be nice, so I can go online and find them.

I couldn't go for the molded ones either, I picked up 3 cheap junk (I think they were all Atlas) N scale freight cars with North American 100 ton trucks (bogies) at train show which was much cheaper over buying new trucks. I trimmed down the mounting pins on the model and will screw on the trucks once I pick up some small screws.  I don't think the 70 ton truck looks right for the weight of the rocket, but the 100 ton ones are very close to what comes with the kit. I think only a Russian would notice the difference. 😉