Arii (Micro Ace) Plastic Models

Does anyone have any experience with the Arii (Micro Ace) plastic locomotive model kits?

The 1/50 scale C-10 appeals to me and looks like a quite comprehensive kit and a reasonable size. I like the idea of a 1 piece chassis as it is unlikely the model will end up out of square.

Although the 1/50th scale does seem a bit weird. If they made it slightly larger, it would be O scale.

a557_b__85624_zoom.jpg

a557_c__56446_zoom.jpg

• Like 1

Some one did an EF66 kit (not sure it was a MA/Arii thouhg) not so long ago but you'll need to browse the forum to find the thread again.

C10 in original condition with condensing pipes for suburban passenger workings in the 1930s in Tokyo.  I can remember these kits being marketed in the UK many years ago possibly 1960s 1970s. Are the moulds that old?

• Like 1
Davo Dentetsu

I still need to make some pickup strips for it and modify the bogies for better free wheeling action.  But for now, I'm quite happy for the project to sit as a static for now. :)

Also, be aware that some Arii kits are just... well, odd.  This is their C62 from a few years back...

mokora-08.jpg

Many years ago I built an Arii kit for a C57, it made a rather nice display model. If you have had experience building plastic kits of aircraft, cars, etc, you should have no problems. Like any plastic kit , take the time to remove the parts carefully from the sprues using a sprue cutter or hobby knife, make sure there is no flash on the mating surfaces of the parts, and the kit should go together with no dramas.

Cheers,

Mark.

C10 in original condition with condensing pipes for suburban passenger workings in the 1930s in Tokyo.

I've seen a few photos of C10s fitted with condensing equipment, and I always wondered why. Presumably it was to minimise taking water, rather than for running underground in the manner of the Metropolitan Railway?

I would imagine that the engine crews and shed staff weren't sorry to see the condensors removed!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.