Turntable Scenes

Guest Closed Account 1

Martijn Meerts

Looks quite a bit like the new-ish Walthers DCC turntable, except that the Walthers is a 130 foot bridge, which is a bit big on a Japanese layout ;)

Just that it was shown in the current catalog in the 'coming in 2012' pages, everything else mentioned there has been released or announced but no turntable yet.

The nice thing about the Fukuya turntable is that it's a good model of a modern, relatively short, turntable (at 153mm it's about 23m long, or 75').  That's a good match for the JR East turntable at Tabata, which Google Earth claims is about 19m long:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/24228072

The style isn't exactly the same, but it's similar.

I'm not sure why you'd need to turn a typical modern double-ended locomotive, and 19m seems short to turn a car (which tend to be 20m, but perhaps they just fit). But I'm sure there's a use or there wouldn't still be one in a place as tightly-packed as Tabata yard.  If I ever built an engine servicing facility, I'd want one of those.

Sometimes a double ended loco might need to be turned if there is defective equipment in one cab that can't be fixed on the spot, used to happen in Brisbane when we ran the 3900 class electric locos on passenger trains but we have a balloon loop in the yard.

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

Pomu, I have the Tomix turntable, and while it looks good, it's really noisy.. And well, it has very visible screws here and there, so far a static layout I woulnd't use it as is. But, since I run DCC, I need a DCC turntable as well. It's possible to convert existing ones to DCC, but it can get expensive and time consuming..