Sid Meier’s Railroad Game -

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Sid Meier’s Railroads game released for Mac.

Build A Railroad Empire And Shape A Nation!

Features:

Steam across 16 maps and seven historical scenarios that cover over 150 years of American and European history.

Control 40 historically-accurate trains, from the 0-4-0 Grasshopper to the TGV bullet train, customising them with your own colour schemes and liveries.

Engage in corporate warfare with rival tycoons, slick entrepreneurs and robber barons such as J. Pierpont Morgan and Cornelius Vanderbilt.

Choose your cargo wisely! Marry the supply of natural resources with the demands of industry to create a thriving economy.

Trade stock, build industries and bid for patents to steam ahead of the competition.

Build the model railroad of your dreams in “Train Table” mode, where your imagination is free from the pressures of finance or competition.

Sabotage your rivals and monopolize the industry in LAN multiplayer mode or online using Game Ranger or Apple’s Game Center Technology.

Its in the App Store for $29USD

I downloaded the demo and it's addictive.

Could be a fun game to play with forum members around the world. wink wink nudge nudge.

Martijn Meerts

I have the original PC version somewhere, but haven't played it in a LONG time. Not sure why anymore, but at some point I just didn't feel like playing anymore, must've gotten annoyed at something or the other ;)

The game has been around a long time in various versions. I seem to remember that I stopped playing the first version I had as it required something called DOS and a 5 and a quarter inch floppy disk drive....

Martijn Meerts

With 'original PC version' I meant the original PC version of the re-release..

That said, I've played a ton of Sid Meier games over the years, including those that required this DOS thing you speak of ;)

Martijn Meerts

I remember when buying 2 Mb (yes, Megabytes, not Gigabytes) of RAM to upgrade my machine cost about $300 USD, per MB ;)

And before that, I hacked Dos4gw to think my machine had 4Mb instead of 2Mb, because some game required 4Mb .. Of course, that didn't turn out to work all that well ;)

Also, those floppies... I still find it interesting that cutting a square out of 1 side actually made them double sided ..

Martijn,

you are a whipper snapper! my 2mb upgrade for the brand new mac SE was $900/mb and that was a super cheap deal at the time! when i picked them up at the university office (campus deal) there was a gauntlet of profs and students offering over twice the price for the chips as there was a bad shortage at the time and big price spike!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Jeff, Mac has always been more expensive though.. But yeah, I was pretty late to the world of the PC, my first one was a 386, I'd been using my C64 for everything before that ;)

I have the original PC version somewhere, but haven't played it in a LONG time. Not sure why anymore, but at some point I just didn't feel like playing anymore, must've gotten annoyed at something or the other ;)

I have the PC version, on a PC I haven't booted in several years.  It wasn't a bad game, but not as good as the earlier Railroad Tycoon games. Lots of eye-candy, but operationally very odd bugs were everywhere.

I never had the crashing problems some of the people reported on the App Store feedback, but I had lots of problems when trains wouldn't use the tracks I'd built, or would pick very odd routes if there was more than one way to get somewhere, or would get stuck where there was clear track to the destination. And laying track sometimes resulted in something very different from what I was trying to do, and no way to fix it except to destroy the track I'd just paid to build, and try again.

Not to mention trains that would make hairpin turns to avoid a station and go down a branch, rather than pulling into a terminal station and then back out to access the branch. Very unprototypical. 

Still, fun to play with as long as you didn't take it seriously.

I'd love to have this on my Mac, but I just can't bring myself to pay $29 for it.  If they had it for half that I'd probably jump, but it's just not worth that much.