CaptOblivious

DCC Decoders for Cab Cars/End Cars

Kiha66

As far as I'm aware it is just two pairs of non bipolar contacts.  The light boards it interacts with also has two pairs of contacts, so I'm fairly sure it's just a two function nonbipolar decoder.

gavino200
1 minute ago, Kiha66 said:

As far as I'm aware it is just two pairs of non bipolar contacts.  The light boards it interacts with also has two pairs of contacts, so I'm fairly sure it's just a two function nonbipolar decoder.

That's what I thought. When I converted my Kato 500 shinkansen I altered the lightboard and connected the FL12 as directed by a guide from an online guide. I was merely functioning as a copycat monkey. But If the stock light board has four contacts then it seems it wouldn't need to be altered at all. Just connected directly to the FL12 or other decoder.

Btw, I spoke with digitrax. Their solution for a cab light decoder is to use a "motor" decoder (they used the quotes) and apply a load to the motor output by putting a resistor between the grey and orange motor wires. Seems wasteful but otherwise an ok solution.

chadbag

In all fairness, I read that they were somewhere (a link I cannot find at the moment), where it said people were buying them and hardwiring them in to installations (soldering them in).  I don't know this for myself.

• Like 1

Ochanomizu

Hello,

I use FL12 solder in for headlights in some consists, but you can't have lights running when consist is stationary, unless you set a different address for FL12.    Edit: please ignore my incorrect comment.  Clarified in my next post.

Better to use a function decoder if you want lights on when train is stationary. 

Another option to FL12 scenario is to use a motor decoder and set the start, mid, and max voltage the same.

Edited by Ochanomizu
Correction

chadbag
3 hours ago, Ochanomizu said:

Hello,

I use FL12 solder in for headlights in some consists, but you can't have lights running when consist is stationary, unless you set a different address for FL12. 

Better to use a function decoder if you want lights on when train is stationary. 

Another option to FL12 scenario is to use a motor decoder and set the start, mid, and max voltage the same.

????  

The FL12 supports lights on when stationary.  DCC lights on is a separate function and not connected to the running of the motor.  Just hit F0 (default -- usually labeled lights) when the  train is stationary and they will go on (or off if already on).   My FL12 are set to the same address as the motor car and it works fine and they are independent.

Edited by chadbag

Ochanomizu

Hello,

Yes, sorry ... my mistake.  I don't know what I was smoking.  Yes chadbag, you are right.  Post edited.

I did FL12  in 10-237 Relay Tsubame.  Function is: lights on / off and auto reverse.

I did Digitrax DZ123 in 10-590 Around The Kyushu.  First I used the motor wires, setting the same voltage for low, mid and max.  This turned the lights off when the train was stationary ... like it would in DC.  When I first got into DCC I thought this would be the neatest way to go ... but it isn't ... unless you just want the lights to work like they do in a DC model.

Later, I swapped the DZ123 over to F1 and F2 because it gave more realistic operation of lights.  I like to enable rule 17 to dim the lights too, even if the prototype doesn't.  FL12 doesn't seem to be rule 17 enabled.

• Like 2

Dani

What about adding to the list LAISDCC 860012? You can set it up so the motor wires can be used for directional lights, and bi-polar depending on the direction of travel. Price is very cheap to be used for cab/tail cars lighting. If you plan to use it to drive a motor, I wouldn't do it (my opinion).

Manufacturer: LaisDCC

Price: 10$

Height: 3mm

Width: 9,2mm

Length: 14,5mm

Functions: 2

Directional lights? ◯

Bi-Polar? ◯

Dimmable lights? ◯

4-digit address? ◯

Transponding? ✕

Railcom? ✕