Diaphragm between railway cars in model

Densha

Yeah, the topic title is confusing, but I don't know the word in English for it, if somebody does I'll change it. :grin

Here's what I found:

http://seisakujyo.exblog.jp/14112086

Someone used folded paper to imitates these "thingies".

That looks very interesting, maybe I'll try it out with some old H0 scale wagons I have laying around.

They get tough in n scale as its hard to get them flexible enough to make them not cause issues on corners. Also really hard to couple up. When I was a kid I mde some for my sp day lights and it was a big chore and they did not last long.

Kato made the diaphragms the couplers on their 500 and E1s but these are fiddly and break easily and can cause some problems in some curve situations.

Jeff

I know I do have issues with the KATO N700 Diaphragm, if you are not careful enough you might break the small plastic pin that moves the coupler and the diaphragm.

I like the tomix version on the shinkansens.

Yeah the new kato n700 diaphragms were done to be much more prototypical looking but they are very fiddly and. Found that it also still had the derailment issues of the old 500 and E1 diaphragm couplers. My kato n700 was really a grumpy runner. I could fiddle with it and get it working ok, but was just a pain so I sold it and picked up the tomix and have loved it. It just runs and runs! It eve can take the inside viaduct loop and run thu the station passing siding (with nasty S curves right off th main curve) at full speed!

Jeff

Alright so the diaphragm is interesting but did anyone else notice what was even more interesting on that model? The electrical conductors in the couplers! That is a.) ingenious and b.) pretty freakin' cool. Also what scale is that? Looks like HO.

Don't know if anyone has these but American Limited made diaphragms for Kato smooth side passenger cars as well as Con Cor Superliners. Looks like someone adapted these to the Kato Superliners:

amtrak_0061.jpg

I actually have a bunch of these sitting around but been too lazy to install them (plus I heard they make the cars derail on tighter bends).

Alright so the diaphragm is interesting but did anyone else notice what was even more interesting on that model? The electrical conductors in the couplers! ... Also what scale is that? Looks like HO.

Yes, they're HO.

Cheers,

Mark.

My Kato N700 is also an unhappy runner due to the diaphragms connecting the cars. One or two of the diaphragms don't seem to have much side to side play and seem a little stiff. There is havoc once a corner appears.

My Kato E4 used to be a good runner until I broke one of the diaphragms on the motor car. Anyone know the model number for this part and where I can get a new diaphragm?

My Kato E4 used to be a good runner until I broke one of the diaphragms on the motor car. Anyone know the model number for this part and where I can get a new diaphragm?

Usually you get a small guide with these part numbers provided with your models.

Martijn Meerts

My Kato N700 is also an unhappy runner due to the diaphragms connecting the cars. One or two of the diaphragms don't seem to have much side to side play and seem a little stiff. There is havoc once a corner appears.

I have similar problems with some of the first Tomix Shinkansen where they used the new all-wheel pickup. Some cars couple so tight they'll just derail at the slightest hint of a curve :)

I haven't actually checked if it can be easily fixed, since it's not really been an issue due to lack of layout to run them on =)

Ill dig out the E1 part list and get you the number. might be hard to get now days. i was always amaze how well those diaphragms and the little piece at the bottom with the two hooks held together! it was an ingenious design, but very fiddly and that part seems like its a target for breaking. i never had one break, but i know a lot of folks in the us with 500 had them break (but these were mostly folks that had no other japanese trains so were not use to the odd coupling mechanisms of many japanese trains). on a second hand train i did have a pin broken on the shell that those hooks pop around and one of our club member had the same issue. used a small piece of the end of a metal pin to recreate it (think someone else here did the same thing on the forum)

On the tomix diaphragms being tight Martijn, its usually the shell itself bending in a little in the center pinching the rocking diaphragm. I had this on a couple of my tomix E4s. i just carefully bend the shell end/edge so that it didnt bend in the tiny bit (we are talking like 0.1mm) and rub on the rocking diaphragm. i also just rubbed a tiny bit of silicone on the sides of the diaphragm to make them really slick. worked great. this is the issue of those big rocking diaphragms more than the couplers as it did it on the non power routing as well. just that they are designed to press up tight so that they stay pushed together and just rock on either end on the curves. if they dont rock smoothly they force the truck off the rail.

i looked at this a long time when i was trying to figure out why some of the E4s were jumping the tracks on curves.

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Ah, will have to check it out.. Must be a coincidence that it's really only an issue on some of the early all wheel pickup trains.. I have no problems at all with the later releases and the non-all wheel pickup trains :)

hmm not seen it on my all wheel pickup ones at all, they are my best runners overall (n700, r10, dr yellow). only issues with the E1 and E4 older tomix. it was always the diaphragm rubbing for me on the shell and i just chocked it up to those being a longer surface to bow in and rub being a double decker.

have you fiddled with the diaphragms to see if they are tight or not seated well to make the coupling tight? is there a particular model that is worse or are all the power couplers just issues for you?

jeff

Usually you get a small guide with these part numbers provided with your models.

I have the guide accompanying my Kato E4 but couldn't decipher it. Searching the part numbers on HobbySearch didn't provide any informative pictures to help me.

Mudkip Orange

Someone used folded paper to imitates these "thingies".

"Ehyeheheheheehe. You said 'thingie.' Heyeyeyeyeyh."

"Uhuhuhuhuh. Thingies are cool. Uhuhuhh."