AmiAmi Character and Hobby

bill937ca

I didn't realize that they were adding tax (or something else?) to the claimed list price.  I just checked the list price for the set I'm getting - at Kato, AmiAmi, and HS, and you're right about their adding 8% to it.  I've just replied to their email claiming no taxes being added, with screen prints from Kato's and their own site - we'll see what they say now.

Nevertheless... It's still quite the cheapest online shop around with their discounts even though they added in taxes... And also there are points that can be used to offset purchase prices so still they competitive...  

Even though the 29% off is really 21% off.  They are still one of the cheapest sellers around.

Yap. Add in 1% for rebate for points it's 22% technically.  :)

Indeed, they way I see it:

Business, discount + rewards - payment fee = total discount.

AmiAmi, 21% + 1% - 2.5% = 19.5%

Loco1Hobby, 15% + 1% - 4% = 12%

HobbySearch, 10% + 3% - 2.5% = 10.5%

Modeltrainplus, 10% + 0% - 4% = 6%

Edited by katoftw

Speaking of which, Ami Ami just had a few more train sets on their bargains section:

http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_cate2=9604&s_saleitem=1&pagemax=40&getcnt=0&pagecnt=1

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-19756&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_cate2%3D9604%24s_saleitem%3D1%24pagemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

A9973 Toei Shinjuku Line 10-000 Class w/Skirt 8Car Set(Released) @ 34% off

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-18793&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_cate2%3D9604%24s_saleitem%3D1%24pagemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

92564 JR E3 2000 Series Yamagata Shinkansen (Tsubsa, New Color) Basic Set (3 Cars)(Released) @ 37% off

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-18799&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_cate2%3D9604%24s_saleitem%3D1%24pagemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

92565 JR E3 2000 Series Yamagata Shinkansen (Tsubsa, New Color) Additional Set (4 Cars)(Released) @ 40% off

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-18801&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_cate2%3D9604%24s_saleitem%3D1%24pagemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

98944 Limited Item JR R3 0 Series Yamagat Shinkansen (Nasuno) Set (6 Cars)(Released) @ 35% off

payment fee =

paypal charges around 4% to make a payment and my credit card charges 2.5% conversion rate.

cheaper to use the credit card, but not all businesses accept credit cards.

Edited by katoftw

I have often seen mention of a Japanese 5% sales tax - is it 5% or 8% ?

8% since April this year if I'm correct, it used ot be 5% before

Thanks for the info.  Clearly PayPal wouldn't make this common knowledge as they'd probably be losing out n profits.  I'll try it next time I make a international PayPal payment.

Edited by katoftw

Paypal tries to bury the credit card option if you use your paypal login. On some Japanese paypal invoices the emailed version you get into paypal and can only select their default of using your direct bank transfer, paypal funds, and paypal credit, all of which have the high exchange fee (they just knock 3-4% off the exchange rate). On those you have to log into your paypal account directly and call the invoice up within paypal to get to a chance to change to your paypal cc.

Paypal use to also not accept a cc on a direct paypal credit card transaction (not using a paypal account signin) if that card was attached to a paypal account. It was all the way to get you to log into paypal, and hope to confuse you into not using your credit card. It was a mess as folks spouses would not know the other had their cc attached to their paypal account and transactions would get declined!

Check your credit cards as many now charge the 2-4%exchange fee as well nowadays. Only one of my credit cards is still free of these (capitalone)

Jeff

Indeed, they way I see it:

Business, discount + rewards - payment fee = total discount.

AmiAmi, 21% + 1% - 2.5% = 19.5%

Loco1Hobby, 15% + 1% - 4% = 12%

HobbySearch, 10% + 3% - 2.5% = 10.5%

Modeltrainplus, 10% + 0% - 4% = 6%

Hello,

Most Loco1Hobby products are 20% discount and very competitive with AmiAmi.

Regarding the sales tax, is it legal to charge it on shipments leaving the country?  I don't believe I see it on invoices from other suppliers.

Or, do they hide it also?

I realize they make it a non-issue by adding it to the supposed list price and falsely claiming they don't add any tax.

Their prices are low, but I wish they were more honest / less sleazy.

Most EU shops subtract GST for shipments to the US, but I gather small operations are exempt from this.

At least that's what I've been told by single-person and mom and pop companies in the UK.

Apparently determined by the total annual sales.

I frequent the sale section in AmiAmi.  They have add on sets heavily discount all the time.  As well as newly release sets that would've been presumed good sellers but failed to hit the mark come release date.  I'm hoping some MA Kiha31s might end up in the for sale section.  Doubtful though.

Edited by katoftw

I frequent the sale section in AmiAmi.  They have add on sets heavily discount all the time.  As well as newly release sets that would've been presumed good sellers but failed to hit the mark come release date.  I'm hoping some MA Kiha31s might end up in the for sale section.  Doubtful though.

No worries katoftw, just keep your eyes peeled. I will too keep a secret eye out for you on those Kiha31s.  :)

Just sad that 500 series is on the sales section... :(