JNS Forum
bill937ca

AmiAmi Character and Hobby

Same mess hitting the us here soon as Supreme Court cleared the way for states to force business to collect out of state sales for them just like Australian gst. We have 50 states with many different sales taxes so it will be a mess. Hopefully some unified solution will come about for this collection and redistribution as it’s a mess for the little guys to figure this out.

jeff

17 minutes ago, katoftw said:

In you first paragraph, you have already addressed this issue in another one of your tldr post. So I can only assume you are attempt to have the last say or just needing your voice heard. Funny how you went super quiet on the issue of ARN when others brought it up.

As for the second bit. I'd challange you to find where I have given misleading information regards comsumption tax. So responding to everything typed by another because you have a different belief, yes belief... Especially for a situation that doesn't effect your own purchases. I think about whom you call out trolling first.

I apologize to you and the forum, I should not have made that comment, it was a cheap shot at you in reaction to your comment about me but as a forum admin I should not have done that.

i just restated things as I see it again as this thread has gone all over the place and folks are dropping in not reading all the thread. I waited to reply to the thread once the ARN issue was cleared up. That is now put to bed, it’s unfortunate for Australian customers of amiami but amiami is not doing anything wrong.

yes we have a difference of opinion on the japan gst, and at this point we can leave it at that, don’t need to keep looping around the tree. This issue is universal to all exports outside japan.

jeff

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:19 AM, bill937ca said:

Canada has sued some big box online retailers like Amazon and eBay and forced them to collect GST.   This is also the case with many magazine subsriptions.

I think maybe Amazon, in response to the Australian government's demands regarding the collection of GST, said "sod it". According to news reports they intended to block us Aussies from their site come the GST introduction. They were then going to open an Australian site with much more limited buying options.

That being the case, we should appreciate that the Japanese hobby shops are continuing on with their Australian customers (excluding Tam Tam).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Takahama Trainwatcher said:

I think maybe Amazon, in response to the Australian government's demands regarding the collection of GST, said "sod it". According to news reports they intended to block us Aussies from their site come the GST introduction. They were then going to open an Australian site with much more limited buying options.

That being the case, we should appreciate that the Japanese hobby shops are continuing on with their Australian customers (excluding Tam Tam).

The whole online GST saga is a very grubby issue, Labor only went for the $1000+ threshold as it was too difficult to apply on smaller values and it would cost more to implement than it could recoup, the Liberals though with persistent lobbying from rank and file members such as Gerry Harvey decided to expand it to cover everything. What the Liberals have done is shift the onus of collection onto the overseas retailers which has caused some friction, there are many suppliers who have basically ignored the government because even by the ATO's admission they cannot force a business operating in a foreign tax jurisdiction to collect and pay the ATO tax revenue for transactions done outside of Australia. Even when it comes to tracking the amount of business these companies do with Australian customers it would be very hard to maintain, it would mean that every single parcel coming into the country would have to be examined and the documentation checked and added to a file to keep tabs on the total value, parcel services would either come to a crawl or near stop due to the backlog created, the government would then have to employ more resources and staff to monitor this which would in turn reduce the amount of revenue earned due to additional expenses. 

Whilst I understand that a number of businesses will have to play ball with the ATO due to the sheer volume of business they do in Australia such as eBay, Amazon, Netflix etc there are many more that can simply just fall through the cracks, the costs for the ATO to mount legal action against non compliant businesses would most likely be cost prohibitive and in many cases unenforceable. For me though the reason why I am dirty with AmiAmi is that they are slugging us with the 8% Japanese Sales Tax which we should not be liable for as well as the 10% GST, the fact that they have flat out denied collecting the 8% Japanese Sales Tax on foreign orders is not a good look, despite the fact it is quite evident in their pricing structure. There are plenty of other businesses such as Hobbysearch which yes they do collect the 8% Japanese Sales Tax have no interest in collecting the 10% GST, that said I will shift my business to the retailers that can offer me the best value for money, at the end of the day that's why we ended up looking at overseas online retailers for our hobby needs as local retailers are either unable to fulfill our needs or not at the price we are willing to pay for.

Edited by Das Steinkopf