AmiAmi Character and Hobby

bill937ca

AmiAmi Character and Hobby is offering N gauge trains on its web site on English language pages.  AmiAmi describes its self as Japan`s largest internet figure shop.  It includes the big three (Tomix/Tomytec, Kato, Micro Ace) and  B-Train Shorty. Discounts seem to run 16% to 37%, usually about 21-22%.

Details at the bottom of each page:

PayPal or credit cards

Several variations of SAL, EMS,or  Air Small Packet shipping.

No cancellations

Limited combined shipping

No returns except for defective items.

http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_cate2=9604&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_seriestitle%3DDoll+Case%24pagemax%3D100%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1&pagemax=100

Model trains seem to be almost hidden on the AmiAmi home page.  But there seems to be a good selection.

• Like 1
Darklighter

A few months ago I didn't find any model trains there, but now the selection is really good (again I guess). And many prices are very good, e.g. lots of N gauge rolling stock 25% off (and no tax charged), Sankei kits 16% off...

Edited by Darklighter
the_weird_one

Not for trains and stuff but I can highly recommend AmiAmi, one of my preferred suppliers in Japan above HobbySearch but below HLJ - though I'm highly bias towards HLJ having been to visit their warehouse and meeting their webmaster.

Holy crap, some items are 25% percent off MINUS 5% tax means 30% off! Thanks for letting me this know, I've read good things about Ami Ami but didn't know they had trains in their catalog.

I find it a bit curious though that some (Kato) models that other stores already had in stock weeks ago are still in pre-order on their site.

Seems like the bulk of their offerings are either pre-order, sold-out or back-ordered. Pretty frustrating.

Wish they had a way to filter for only those products that are available.

Edited by Minelayer
Darklighter

Ordered some buildings that were on back-order (but available according to Kato's and Tomix's inventory lists). It took only 2 days before they were ready to ship!

lurkingknight

I'm wondering if it's a case that they can order it right from their suppliers but they don't specifically stock it, so if you want it you can just order it and they will get it in from the first available supplier. I'm eyeing up a lot of the higher number V kits that I'll probably be buying sometime in the near future.

do they end up reducing the price by 5% for the sales tax if you do an overseas order? their discount price looks to be off the SRP w/o tax so i would guess they dont take off 5% since they are not starting from a japanese "store" price that usually includes the 5% tax.

in the past with other shops ive found that they can get stuff that is in general production from suppliers pretty quickly. rainbow ten use to be great at this if you put in a wish list they would hunt thru their suppliers and get back to you with what they could easily get and then you put in your order.

jeff

Edited by cteno4
Darklighter
do they end up reducing the price by 5% for the sales tax if you do an overseas order?
Nope, those are the final prices.

The discounts are relative to the (international) prices that are already reduced by 5% (i.e. the "regular prices" on the English website of Hobby Search). The prices on AmiAmi's Japanese website are the same, so effectively Japanese buyers get higher discounts.

Edited by Darklighter

Darklighter,

thanks, i expect the japanese side may get the 5% tax tacked on if its a sale w/in japan? 

at some point would be fun to try them out, good prices.

i like the backorder ability, thats what hw use to do and i usually got things that they would list as a backorder. sometimes took a month for everything to come in but they would hold the rest of the order till it was all in and then ship.

jeff

lurkingknight

I order anime figures from amiami fairly often, the marked price is what you pay plus shipping. They are a little cheaper than most other stores, but you must be committed especially if you preorder since there is no cancelling your orders unlike with other vendors.

I recently bought stuff from AmiAmi thru rakuten because of the promotion of free international delivery. I must say I am very surprised in a positive sense. I ordered back-order items on Friday. On Saturday got info that they manage to collect all the items. On Monday it was already in Poland, delivered to me on Tuesday. Amazing. And note that prices in AmiAmi are very low. And also communication with the client is top notch - another order has one item that they have difficulties to get - I am up to date  with what is going on.

Edited by Sinus

If they had buses on sale, perhaps you would have been more interested.   :)  

Stuff I'm considering: Their Kato 205 series Yokohama line 8-car set is only 11010 JPY, which strikes me as a decent price for an 8-car commuter train.  Japan has so many 205 variants / colors, though, so it's tough to settle on just one.  

Darklighter

Some trains at 36% off of list.  

BTW, they changed the way the discounts are shown a while ago. Now the discount refers to the price including tax. So it's actually 31% off list (list excluding tax).

(And the usual discount of 29% translates to a discount of 23% before the modification. So the discounts have actually decreased by 2% (in most cases).)

JR 500系

If they had buses on sale, perhaps you would have been more interested.   :)  

Stuff I'm considering: Their Kato 205 series Yokohama line 8-car set is only 11010 JPY, which strikes me as a decent price for an 8-car commuter train.  Japan has so many 205 variants / colors, though, so it's tough to settle on just one.  

Thanks! You're right there!

Well, did made the hear beat faster abit on the following interesting sets like:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-13459&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_cate2%3D9604%24s_saleitem%3D1%24pagemax%3D20%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D2

A6464 Kiha 48 Resort Minori 3 Cars Set(Released)

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-12304&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_cate2%3D9604%24s_saleitem%3D1%24pagemax%3D20%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D3

92473 287 Series Limited Express Train (Kuroshio) Basic Set B(Released)

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=RAIL-09451&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_cate2%3D9604%24s_saleitem%3D1%24pagemax%3D20%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D3

And the 23-542 Toyota Hiace Super GL2 Nippon Express(Released)

Davo Dentetsu

Was eyeing up a lovely HO EF66 (which actually represented the very thing I wanted for a change) for the equivalent of AUS$160.  No... naughty bank card, go back in the wallet!

Was eyeing up a lovely HO EF66 (which actually represented the very thing I wanted for a change) for the equivalent of AUS$160.  No... naughty bank card, go back in the wallet!

Ack.... I was doing the same thing too.... :cussing:

The Next Station Is...

AmiAmi updated their sale pages again. Stuff that seemed interesting to me: the Kato E7 (basic set and addons) is on sale, as is Kato's Nichinan sleeper train (10-1198/1199).

http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_cate2=9604&pagemax=&s_saleitem=1&pagemax=40

Thanks for the post - I've just ordered a batch of B-Train Shorty stuff that were in the sales!