AmiAmi Character and Hobby

bill937ca

Takahama Trainwatcher

This one has had me choking on my Milo:

Trying to get the Kato flag stop island platforms. AmiAmi had 1 in stock, so ordered it and added some stuff of interest, but kept the total cost below 80000 yen so that SAL small packet shipping would be an option.

Order confirmed, then shipping priced... and small packet is not an option (that is, looking at around $25 more for the shipping cost). I used HobbySearch to tabulate all the item masses and dimensions. Total mass is way less than 2 kg, so I figured everything is, in total, just too large. Checking through AmiAmi's conditions, I note I can't cancel, but I can ask for the shipping to be split. I did just that. Here is relevant part of the response:

Unfortunately some of the orderd items are to large for shipping in small boxes, so we are unable to arange these items for shipping with Small Packet SAL. We apologize for the inconvenience.

My spread sheet for analysis is copied below. As far as I can ascertain, none of the individual items are too large for Small Packet SAL. Should I conclude that AmiAmi just don't have boxes available that can fit items 47 cm within and still be small enough for Small Packet SAL? Or, am I missing something?

post-704-0-89933200-1449101614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Takahama Trainwatcher
Takahama Trainwatcher

Indeed.... have checked the addition of the dimensions. Their suggestion is that a particular item (or more than one) cannot be sent Small Packet, but each item falls well within the specified dimensions. Other shops have shipped those items small packet SAL to me before. AmiAmi say there is no point in splitting the shipping because something still won't fit. That's what I don't understand. I know... if curious enough and want to push a bit, I could ask them to specify which are the offending items that can never be sent Small Packet SAL.

Indeed.... have checked the addition of the dimensions. Their suggestion is that a particular item (or more than one) cannot be sent Small Packet, but each item falls well within the specified dimensions. Other shops have shipped those items small packet SAL to me before. AmiAmi say there is no point in splitting the shipping because something still won't fit. That's what I don't understand. I know... if curious enough and want to push a bit, I could ask them to specify which are the offending items that can never be sent Small Packet SAL.

I guess you could ask them for the offending item... Perhaps getting that item elsewhere in SAL would save a few more dollars on shipping... Otherwise, perhaps EMS might be the next solution. I often use EMS as when I compare EMS against SAL and small packet, it was only a few hundred yen difference (around 200-max 500 yen) and I love EMS for its speed and accuracy...

Ami Ami has been pretty flexible for my experience with them... I asked if they could under-declare, but of course that is a nono. So I asked to split the items up into 2 shipments, more costly in shipping yes but I saved a few dollars on tax declaration and getting the item stuck at the customs ~  :)

Also, they have a nice pre-order system (IMHO) that is you can automatically join orders if they happen to be release in the same month.. But beware delays to the item to the next month, even just a few days (like target release date say March 2015 and it was only released on 1st April 2015), cannot be combined as they have a strict 'on that month only' combination rule... 

Should I conclude that AmiAmi just don't have boxes available that can fit items 47 cm within and still be small enough for Small Packet SAL? 

Their long boxes measure 51x26x15cm. I received Unitrack items in these boxes a couple of times by SAL small packet. But that was some time ago. Maybe Japan Post doesn't allow these boxes anymore because of:

For SAL parcels, the maximum size for sides A + B + C is 90cm. 

Takahama Trainwatcher

Darklighter, you may have hit the mark there. I did question AmiAmi and received this in the reply:

The following items are not eligible for small packages due to their size.

RAIL-07376  20-186 Double Track Approach Track 480/447-22.5d (Left, Right)
RAIL-07375  20-185 Double Track Curved Track R480/447-45d (2pcs)

So, that is useful information to have. They can't send longer items (in this case 47 cm) via Small Packet SAL. They must have standard box sizes and, as you have indicated, their longer box does not conform to the current Small Packet SAL standards.

This learning experience has cost me 2 good meals at Kura Zushi... but let's be optimistic and say it has cost me less than a decent meal at an Aussie sushi restaurant.

Edited by Takahama Trainwatcher

Tempting...

Dang should have checked the bargains section first before paying up for my pre-orders with them... One can never do with too many Kobaru road markings... 

It seems that Ami Ami has different criteria for SAL packages - I've recently been using Registered SAL with Loco1 and MTP on 2 Kato or Tomix train packages and when I ordered through Ami Ami, they said I couldn't use SAL and so I had to use EMS.  What I thought would be money saved instead went to shipping. At least I didn't have to wait 2 weeks but I've kinda got used to waiting 2 weeks instead of 4-5 days with EMS. Oh well!

Pretty good location too. I'll definitely go have a look in summer.

Nice~ Give us some photos or reviews ok?

Beware though, if you are travelling with younger children, amiami tends to be a little 'sleazy', especially with their model girls series....  

Wonder if their store discounts will be like their online shop? I'm in Japan between the 11th-21st of April so i think I might just miss it :(

Do my search skill suck, or cant you buy Micro Ace lights for the trains at AmiAmi? I'm looking for G0005 and G0006. :sad1:

They probably don't have them.  My experience is they carry a lot of trains.  But track, scenery and extras aren't really their thing.

• Like 1

Its kind of strange how these online companies are looking to set up physical stores. Its tending to go in the opposite direction here in NZ. Costs are much higher for a store in a physical location and to get good foot traffic flow means higher rent,lease.Add to that theft from customers and other costs. Stores seem to close on a regular basis and eventually another starts up to end up closing after a certain period of time. Recently , I was watching an episode of the Dragons Den or similar programme and the person presenting their product in the hope of getting a loan from panel members was talking about setting up a physical store to display and sell her products from(she has a successful online presence and is making good sales and profit with goods sourced from a warehouse and distributed to customers, but is bored with her role and wanting to try a retail shop. The members were confused and thought it was a backward step in these days of online sales. They wouldn't lend her any money and thought her profit would decline sharply going this route. Just my point of view, but very intriguing what is happening in Japan

If anyone is interested in those Kato Kokuden 103 series in various colours, Ami now have them at 36% off at 3080yen:

http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_cate2=9604&s_saleitem=1&pagemax=40&getcnt=0&pagecnt=2

I can find the yellow, orange and emerald green versions for about £21 including P&P on Amazon UK's Marketplace, ordered my orange one that way and it turned up in about a month. Might have to order an emerald green one too before they all sell out...

More sales from ami ami:

http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_cate2=9604&s_saleitem=1&pagemax=40&inctxt2=12

In particular, the 92894 Odakyu Romance Car 7000 Class LSE (Fukkatsu Former Color, w/Brand Mark) Set (11Cars) is going for only 12,060yen, 36% off!

Also, Tomix 92571 JR E233 2000 Series Commuter Train Basic Set (4Cars), going for 9630yen, 36% off

and FULL set of Tomix E2-1000 Yamabiko 4+3+3 going for 36% off too...

That Romance Car set has been up for about 5 days.  I'm surprized they still haven't sold out yet.

I brought some of those Greenmax trucks a few days ago as I wanted to see if the wheels will work on Tomytec sets. 270 yen for 4 axles/1 car is good value, (if it works). haha